Beauty & Wellness

Overweight sibling... should I avoid the weight topic?

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2017 3:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10822 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver

Overweight sibling... should I avoid the weight topic?

I have an overweight older sibling. They seem to think doing yoga is enough exercise. I don't think they will lose weight any time soon. Now, the aches and pains are creeping in, but they r thankful they r not diabetic or have to take meds for high blood pressure. Should I never bring up their weight in conversation, because it is not like anything I say has an influence on them?
34 replies
Oct 6, 2015
519 posts
258 upvotes
Its nearly impossible to exercise oneself out of obesity. What you can do is set a very good example. No junk food at home, drink only water in their presence, low carb meals even when you go out. Tell them how much better you feel eating low-carb, low sugar.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10822 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Isn't Khloe Kardashian setting a good example for her brother Rob? Clearly that isn't working.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1977 posts
1055 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 4:16 pm
I have an overweight older sibling. They seem to think doing yoga is enough exercise. I don't think they will lose weight any time soon. Now, the aches and pains are creeping in, but they r thankful they r not diabetic or have to take meds for high blood pressure. Should I never bring up their weight in conversation, because it is not like anything I say has an influence on them?
Yoga can definitely be enough exercise, depending on how often and how intensive his routines are. If they are doing the beginner poses and not even breaking a sweat, then yeah, it's probably not enough.

No need to call them out on it... they already know they are fat without you telling them. Just cook real, good food for them and show them how good non-processed foods can taste.
Aug 17, 2008
879 posts
268 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 4:30 pm
Yoga can definitely be enough exercise, depending on how often and how intensive his routines are. If they are doing the beginner poses and not even breaking a sweat, then yeah, it's probably not enough.

No need to call them out on it... they already know they are fat without you telling them. Just cook real, good food for them and show them how good non-processed foods can taste.
Agree and disagree on whether yoga is enough, and agree no need to call the sibling out on weight.

As to whether yoga alone is enough exercise, in theory, yoga alone get you very fit and keep you really fit. But in practice, for the vast majority of people who have day jobs, yoga alone is not enough. There are some very fit yogis who only do yoga and nothing else, and are super fit. It does depend on how often and how intensive the routines are. But you would have to do a lot more yoga than most people have time for to make yoga alone enough exercise. The ones who are it top condition doing yoga alone are most likely yoga teachers who live yoga every day, and have an intense practice every day.

Yoga, is great for flexibility, balance, and core strength. It can also help with cardio, but yoga is weakest on the cardio front. I used to do a lot of yoga with some of the top yoga teachers in Toronto, and I recall one of the top instructors (the lead instructor for yoga teacher training at one of the top studies) telling me that the only thing she feels she doesn't get enough of from yoga alone is cardio. Yes, you burn some calories, and yes you can get heart rate up with yoga alone, but it's not the same as intensive cardio.

Here a good article "Can you lose weight doing yoga alone? Yes, but not for the reason you think...." http://coach.nine.com.au/2016/04/22/13/ ... ose-weight
Main points:
  • Diet is most important.
  • Yoga alone can be enough, but you have to do a lot of it, as it doesn't burn as much calories as other forms.
  • Yoga has some side benefits
  • Complementing yoga with cardio or strength routines is most effective.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2059 posts
100 upvotes
Maybe he needs some tough love. Have you considered sending him to Bikram hot yoga boot camp? That could be the answer.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10822 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
We don't live in the same time zone. So, the next time they talk about high blood pressure, aches and pains, etc., I should tell them to try hot yoga? They've been doing yoga for a couple of decades, but not hot yoga.
Aug 17, 2008
879 posts
268 upvotes
Becks wrote:
May 4th, 2017 8:35 pm
We don't live in the same time zone. So, the next time they talk about high blood pressure, aches and pains, etc., I should tell them to try hot yoga? They've been doing yoga for a couple of decades, but not hot yoga.
In Post#5 above, I mention that Yoga alone is unlikely to help you lose weight. The only people who are really fit doing only yoga will first of all be eating right, and second will be doing much more yoga than most people will be willing to do (think at least 90 minutes per day of intensive yoga).

Hot Yoga is no different. Many people seem to believe that Hot Yoga is better for weight loss than regular yoga. That's just not the case. All that sweat is just temporary water loss. it is not long-term weight loss.
Here's one article: http://time.com/2967716/you-asked-is-ho ... ight-loss/

I think everyone will agree that diet is the key to weight loss. Exercise helps. Yoga is good exercise for many things, but weight loss is not one of the things that yoga is best at.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10822 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
multimut wrote:
May 4th, 2017 10:46 pm
...I think everyone will agree that diet is the key to weight loss...
I dunno about that.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2364 posts
930 upvotes
Your sibling is an adult. I'm sure they are well aware of their weight. It's really none of your business. If they asked you for advice then fine give it. If not stay out of it. It's not your place to lecture them and all that will do is risk ruining your relationship with them.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2059 posts
100 upvotes
@Becks There's no need to convince them out right if they're sensitive. Try planting subliminal messages into the conversation if you want to give them a good reason to exercise and loose weight. Like let's say your having a chat with your sibling on video, and in the background you have poster of David Beckham doing yoga. If your sibling is fan of DB and into yoga, it'll plant the idea they should also be lean and sexy like Beckham.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10822 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Momof3cuties wrote:
May 5th, 2017 10:36 am
Your sibling is an adult. I'm sure they are well aware of their weight. It's really none of your business. If they asked you for advice then fine give it. If not stay out of it. It's not your place to lecture them and all that will do is risk ruining your relationship with them.
That's the route Rob Ford's family took, right?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Becks, how overweight is your sibling - and build? Also how old? Aches and pains are not necessarily due to weight. The fact that your sibling is not diabetic nor does he/she have to take high blood pressure meds is good.

I am pretty certain that your sibling's doctor would have mentioned the weight issue at his or her last physical.

Personally, I would keep out of it - I used to be heavy and only I could decide when it was time to lose the weight. I did - many years ago. It has not returned. It is very hard having a husband who eats everything in sight and does not gain weight.

By the way, diabetes does run in my family. I do not have it. I also have perfect cholesterol and blood pressure - did even when I was heavy. Many thin people do suffer from the above health issues.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10822 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
They r 57, with weight carried in the mid-section. I'd estimate they're ~40 lbs overweight.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2059 posts
100 upvotes
yo they could try doing this:

I used it myself but my treadmill burnt out after lot of use (Loudly Crying Face). I need to get it fixed soon.

If they're making excuses then they have to find means to strengthen their will. Otherwise their are no short cuts.