Beauty & Wellness

Overweight sibling... should I avoid the weight topic?

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2017 3:17 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Becks wrote:
May 8th, 2017 4:49 pm
They r 57, with weight carried in the mid-section. I'd estimate they're ~40 lbs overweight.
Yes, the dreaded weight gain around the mid-section - it happens to the best of us, at about the same age as your sibling. This weight is hard to lose. Actually my husband who weighs 168 lbs. went from a 34 waist to a 35 at age 60 and was told he was "obese". Really? How can you possibly be obese at 6 ft. and 168 lbs.? It was the BMI.

I have seen women whose weight did not fluctuate more than 5 lbs. but there was a redistribution of weight and many could no longer do up their zippers etc. They exercised and starved themselves to know avail. Some did lose the 5 lbs. but the redistribution of weight was still there. Build has a lot to do with it as well. Actually I have this issue as well - also I look thinner than I am based on build and the way I dress.

Forty lbs. is a lot - but I do not think your sibling will be able to lose all of it, considering where it is and his/her age. Frankly though when I lost weight it was my decision. We each have our own trigger that will ultimately cause us to lose weight. I obviously came face to face with mine, and it was not health related. Many people who do have to lose weight due to a specific health risk unfortunately do not do so either.

I do hope your sibling manages to lose some of the weight. It can result in heart issues. If my doctor told me to lose weight for a specific condition I would do my best to follow her advice. I would be too afraid not to (more so of her than the health risk I am sorry to say - and she is a great doctor with a closed practice).
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27538 posts
678 upvotes
Dildo, NL
Becks wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 4:16 pm
... because it is not like anything I say has an influence on them?
If that's the case, then why do it?

I was going to ask you, how is your relationship with your sibling. Brother/Sister? This is a huge deciding factor I'm sure. How much older. What is your physique? Are you normal/thin? I'm sure if this is an older sister, and you're a slim attractive female, there's no way in hell it'll come across nice., I'm sure there's just resentment.

Actually there's two other side topics I was curious about. Is there a thread on RFD about it?

Are you and your siblings on RFD? or just yourself? If only you - have you ever told them about it - have you managed to sell them on joining the subculture in forums?

How is your relationship with your sibling? Do you talk, are you able to say/do anything that *does* have an influence on them?

If anything, I would like to believe that 99% of the success of your obvious (good intentions) is in the delivery of your concerns.

-Hey sis, you're a fat lard, work out.

-Hey bro, I love you from the bottom of my heart. I'm really starting to get concerned for your health. Please tell me what I can do to help you....blah blah...
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10708 posts
1437 upvotes
City of Vancouver
It's ok. I believe the answer is for me to give zero @#$%s.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10708 posts
1437 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Dumbbelldore wrote:
May 9th, 2017 9:42 am

...my treadmill burnt out after lot of use (Loudly Crying Face). I need to get it fixed soon...
U gotta pay to get it fixed or is it under warranty?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2348 posts
918 upvotes
Becks wrote:
May 8th, 2017 4:49 pm
They r 57, with weight carried in the mid-section. I'd estimate they're ~40 lbs overweight.
You equate being 40lbs overweight to smoking crack? Lmao.

It's really none of your business. I'm sure they know they are overwright and don't need to hear it from you.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10708 posts
1437 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Why would I equate that? It's obvious everyone close to him in his life let him do whatever he wanted. That's the pt of turning a blind eye aka minding ur own business.
Jul 19, 2014
981 posts
180 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Avoid , Instead Action . Go for a walk with your sibling once a week .
Jan 26, 2008
685 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
He's family no matter what anyone here says. It's interesting to see how many of you are choosing indifference over compassion. Here's a question: if a close one were to pass away tomorrow, would you regret not taking action?

It takes approximately a month (30 consecutive days) for a person to build a habit. The first two weeks are dreadful for the good habits a person wants to build. If you can get him to go through the first two weeks with a program, it'd be easier for him to go through with it and perhaps enjoy it after those days.
Jan 26, 2008
685 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
Another food for thought:

You created this thread so you obviously care (unless you're known to be an attention seeker). I read all these poor excuses/cop outs like he's in a different timezone, etc. You want to do something but you're trying to get affirmation that it's okay to not take action. Well, I'm with your original intent which is to help your brother.
Jan 26, 2008
685 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
I've read my own comments and I've come off as a pretentious prick but I'm much like all of you. I take things for granted. That's because everyone is alive and kicking. I'm not saying to sprinkle your brother with love as that's not you. What I'm saying is a little bit of compassion goes a long way. He may not appreciate what you're saying or doing now but he will in a few years. If he doesn't, that is his loss.

P.S. I wish I have a kick ass sister who tells me to do shit. I may not appreciate it at the moment but the feeling will be noted for sure.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27538 posts
678 upvotes
Dildo, NL
vinkl wrote:
May 14th, 2017 10:25 am
Another food for thought:
inappropriate pun..lol
....unless you're known to be an attention seeker...
ouch
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
Jan 26, 2008
685 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
There's no double meaning and my posts aren't hostile. You're taking them out of context.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10708 posts
1437 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Update: sibling called and mentioned that their doctor told them to lose weight. Now I for sure don't need to say anything!!
Jan 26, 2008
685 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
A dieting/encouragement card with a snarky one liner would be something fun to do and is more home to you. It can motivate your sibling and you don't have to say anything. It's better than nothing!
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27538 posts
678 upvotes
Dildo, NL
Becks wrote:
May 15th, 2017 10:45 pm
Update: sibling called and mentioned that their doctor told them to lose weight. Now I for sure don't need to say anything!!
Did you respond surprised...or did you mutter 'there's a surprise'?

I believe I asked., guess the answer is, no you're not close?

lol...however, while you may not need to *say* anything, now if anytime ever is your opportunity to *DO* lots! Help, Support, Encourage, as much as is welcomed
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]