Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Freebies

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

OVH: Free VPS (kind of)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2012 7:28 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2097 posts
971 upvotes

OVH: Free VPS (kind of)

OVH is running some promo for what they call "Micro VKS". I don't know what is the difference between this and a VPS, but it looks to be a VPS from what I can tell.

The following locations are available:
Newark Available
Chicago Available
Milano Available
Paris Available
Frankfurt Available
Madrid Available
Dallas Available
Hong Kong Available
San Jose Available

Technical characteristics

1 vCPU Processor
128MB of RAM
Storage 5GB
500GB monthly traffic
10Mbps bandwidth
IPv4 + IPv6 addresses
Unauthorised UDP traffic

Outgoing traffic forbidden on port 25

I am not sure for how long it will be free. I got one but still haven't found a use for it.

It's running Linux (you can choose the flavour).
9 replies
Nov 27, 2004
58 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks -- I signed up and I've got one running, but I can't figure out how to access it other than through the web interface...hopefully I can do something useful with it.
Nov 21, 2010
551 posts
378 upvotes
Surrey
renenoel wrote: Thanks -- I signed up and I've got one running, but I can't figure out how to access it other than through the web interface...hopefully I can do something useful with it.
Once the server is provisioned and all, SSH information should be emailed to your email address.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2097 posts
971 upvotes
renenoel wrote: Thanks -- I signed up and I've got one running, but I can't figure out how to access it other than through the web interface...hopefully I can do something useful with it.
You can download Putty: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ then put the URL in and connect. The username is "root" and the password is whatever was emailed to you by Ovh. You can then execute commands on it and setup stuff like a web server. If you are on Mac you can connect by opening the Terminal and typing "ssh" followed by the IP of your VPS.

I think this would primarily be useful for learning technologies like Ruby on Rails and Node.js, although you could possibly do quite a bit with it.
Nov 21, 2010
551 posts
378 upvotes
Surrey
With 128m, you can do a fair bit.

Just need to strip out things you don't need from the OS so they don't take the resources. There is an entire wiki dedicated to squeezing performance out of low end boxes: http://www.lowendtalk.com/wiki/
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
If you do something "fishy" can they call the police on you??
Nov 21, 2010
551 posts
378 upvotes
Surrey
george__ wrote: If you do something "fishy" can they call the police on you??
You shouldn't be doing anything fishy in the first place.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
chiisana wrote: You shouldn't be doing anything fishy in the first place.
Like if you are downloading music or movies or programs for example... It's grey area.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2097 posts
971 upvotes
george__ wrote: Like if you are downloading music or movies or programs for example... It's grey area.
You mean you want to use it as a seedbox? You shouldn't do that, it's not a grey area, it is illegal in all the places where Ovh offers service. Will they call the police on you? Don't take my word for it, but it is highly unlikely, I would say more unlikely than if you were doing it with your home computer. Still, I say you shouldn't do it. Most likely Ovh will find out and terminate your service.
Just use the freely available services like Spotify to listen to music and Hulu to watch movies. You can do that (I think) by setting up an OpenVPN server over TCP on one of their US locations. Now THAT IS A GREY AREA (i.e. you are not pirating anything). If we keep pirating music and movies, the cost of legally obtaining them will keep being high. On the other hand, by using advertisement supported legal services eventually the demand will be so high that the companies will be able to offer more and more free content and all content will be virtually free (ad supported that is).
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
elwebmaster wrote: You mean you want to use it as a seedbox? You shouldn't do that, it's not a grey area, it is illegal in all the places where Ovh offers service. Will they call the police on you? Don't take my word for it, but it is highly unlikely, I would say more unlikely than if you were doing it with your home computer. Still, I say you shouldn't do it. Most likely Ovh will find out and terminate your service.
Just use the freely available services like Spotify to listen to music and Hulu to watch movies. You can do that (I think) by setting up an OpenVPN server over TCP on one of their US locations. Now THAT IS A GREY AREA (i.e. you are not pirating anything). If we keep pirating music and movies, the cost of legally obtaining them will keep being high. On the other hand, by using advertisement supported legal services eventually the demand will be so high that the companies will be able to offer more and more free content and all content will be virtually free (ad supported that is).
thank you for your help

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)