Food & Drink

The Owl of Minerva has been Cheating on the Invoice ...It is your Right to Get Back you Innocent Money !

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2018 11:25 am
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24266 posts
2224 upvotes
Hamilton
Owl sucks anyways. You’re in NY there’s plenty of choices in the area.
$35/5GB Koodo

Respect the hustle
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39059 posts
3434 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
yao416 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 5:24 am
Savage guy right here
I know. But i'm giving the brother a break. New country, new customs. He messed up, but i guess where he comes from you pay the price, and customer adds the tip. No auto tips.

To o.p.... gratuity means tip. And always check bc some restaurants add it on. Not all, some.

Also when they ask "would you like mushrooms/whatever on your order?"
Its a scam. They make it sound like its free but it cost money.
Even some "fancy" places do this.

Me : hi one 12 oz rib eye with the steamed veggies pleasezzz
Server : would you like mushrooms on that?

Boom $5 side order of mushrooms on the bill...
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4119 posts
708 upvotes
Richmond Hill
winetrip wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 12:15 pm
I have been to The Owl of Minerva many years , but just Now , My Accountant reviewed the invoice with me ,and Just Noticed , The Big Hole on the Hidden Charge !

When I realized I was cheating charge on the most current receipt , I got another one ,another one , all was cheating charge on the invoice ;

and I called the restaurant which is in the Yonge Street , They said " oh , maybe it is your fault, you put the tips by yourself , , if you already charged Tips on the receipt , while put another tips in your ATM to let innocent customer choose ? that is totally cheating business . The Korea Boss plays around the Canadian customer by the Dirty hand.

Please have a look on those 2 receipt ; I have dozens cheating charge,
on the Dinning list receipt ,you can see there is already Gratuity Charge , but on the ATM receipt , there is one more Tips charge ,which they said it is the customers's willing to pay tips twice , and finally , he said , he doesn't mind to refund the extra charge TIPS to me if I want . That is not polite explain to the customer , it is obviously their cheating ATM setup in the system to cheat the TIPS.

Please have all you The Owl of Minerva restaurant receipt open up , and find those cheating charge , Get back to the restaurant to ask for the Refund .

That is NOT the business should do in Canada ! It is Cheating .
The meaning of hidden = concealed, out of sight, can't see it.

However, as shown on your 2 attached receipts, it is CLEARLY documented and printed out as you have CIRCLED.

Therefore it is NOT hidden. There is NO hidden charge.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1267 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:20 am
I don't want to sound like a peen...
Y'all asking the OP to read the receipt... I don't think he knows how to read English that well.
His post sounds like something off google translate...
Best post of this thread right here.

UrbanPoet wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 5:43 pm
Me : hi one 12 oz rib eye with the steamed veggies pleasezzz
Server : would you like mushrooms on that?

Boom $5 side order of mushrooms on the bill...
Yes I hate that. At times it feels like "you know if I wanted it, I would have asked for it" but they're just doing their job. It's the same when they ask if you want dessert. A lot of times I'm ordering a set dinner of some sort which comes with soup and salad and things like that, so then I'm wondering if they're asking because it comes with the meal, as if they're asking "are you done with the main meal? Would you like to order more food or would you like to proceed with dessert?"

And then it sorta makes me feel like a cheap ass if I ask if it comes with the meal.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Feb 10, 2010
943 posts
387 upvotes
Ajax, ON
yao416 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 5:25 am
Owl sucks anyways. You’re in NY there’s plenty of choices in the area.
We go a lot to Owl of minerva, nothing like a nice bowl of pork bone soup in Winter and in the flu season.

Do you have a better sugestion for pork bone soup ? We will give it a try.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2563 posts
1342 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Inb4 OP comes back saying we weaklings conforming to consumerism and not willing to stand up to the restaurants.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7420 posts
1271 upvotes
????
ToDealHunter wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:20 pm
We go a lot to Owl of minerva, nothing like a nice bowl of pork bone soup in Winter and in the flu season.

Do you have a better sugestion for pork bone soup ? We will give it a try.
Try Joons.
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300 300Mbps unlimited $25
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9060 posts
1705 upvotes
Somewhere
One time, I asked for water at some restaurant. The waiter came back and poured Evian or some shizz into a glass. I was like hot damn, this is a classy joint. Then the bill came. Boom. I was suckered for $3 for water.

This is why my life partner and I spent Valentine's Day at McDonald's. You always know what you're gonna get.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4517 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
OP created his account just to post this!
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2630 posts
516 upvotes
Oshawa
winetrip wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2018 12:15 pm
I have been to The Owl of Minerva many years , but just Now , My Accountant reviewed the invoice with me ,and Just Noticed , The Big Hole on the Hidden Charge !

When I realized I was cheating charge on the most current receipt , I got another one ,another one , all was cheating charge on the invoice ;

and I called the restaurant which is in the Yonge Street , They said " oh , maybe it is your fault, you put the tips by yourself , , if you already charged Tips on the receipt , while put another tips in your ATM to let innocent customer choose ? that is totally cheating business . The Korea Boss plays around the Canadian customer by the Dirty hand.

Please have a look on those 2 receipt ; I have dozens cheating charge,
on the Dinning list receipt ,you can see there is already Gratuity Charge , but on the ATM receipt , there is one more Tips charge ,which they said it is the customers's willing to pay tips twice , and finally , he said , he doesn't mind to refund the extra charge TIPS to me if I want . That is not polite explain to the customer , it is obviously their cheating ATM setup in the system to cheat the TIPS.

Please have all you The Owl of Minerva restaurant receipt open up , and find those cheating charge , Get back to the restaurant to ask for the Refund .

That is NOT the business should do in Canada ! It is Cheating .
By the way .... an ACCOUNTANT to read the invoices???? HAHAHAHA!

Life in Canada now in the Restaurant Business ... a lot of restaurants include Gratuity (also known as TIPS) in the invoice. READ before you pay ...

And just ANOTHER "TIP" for you: if you don't understand ... pull out your stupid phone (instead of posting photos or livestreaming) ... open up an app called GOOGLE TRANSLATE ... then take a PHOTO of the receipt ... HIGHLIGHT the words that you don't understand (possibly highlight the entire receipt) ... and then it will TRANSLATE the invoice to your language (more than likely Simplified Chinese)
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4193 posts
1263 upvotes
LKane1 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:35 pm
Yes I hate that. At times it feels like "you know if I wanted it, I would have asked for it" but they're just doing their job. It's the same when they ask if you want dessert. A lot of times I'm ordering a set dinner of some sort which comes with soup and salad and things like that, so then I'm wondering if they're asking because it comes with the meal, as if they're asking "are you done with the main meal? Would you like to order more food or would you like to proceed with dessert?"

And then it sorta makes me feel like a cheap ass if I ask if it comes with the meal.
I have posted about the Wendy's upsell scam before:

wendys-upsell-medium-1389230/

Essentially, when you order a meal at most other places, the base price is for Medium/Regular size. At Wendy's, the base price is for small and thus Medium is an upsell.

When a server asks "Medium Size?" most people probably think that's what is included at the regular price. But it's not.

Those guys at Wendy's sure have found a way for me to remember it and to only ever hit up the place for a snack and to avoid the high margin items like Fries and Pop.

As for this thread ..... Mandatory gratuity for groups has been a thing in Toronto for a few years. Blame those people who go out to eat in North America knowing that tipping for good service is a social norm ..... and then tip $0.00 all the time.
Oct 3, 2003
172 posts
14 upvotes
I’ve made this mistake before. A restaurant charged mandatory gratuity for parties of five. I did not check the bill and I tipped,extra on top of the bill. I try to remind myself to always check the bill.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3239 posts
1168 upvotes
They do this in the US a lot at tourist trap places. Add in 15%, then ask for more tips after.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5518 posts
1207 upvotes
Markham
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 8:51 am
One time, I asked for water at some restaurant. The waiter came back and poured Evian or some shizz into a glass. I was like hot damn, this is a classy joint. Then the bill came. Boom. I was suckered for $3 for water.

This is why my life partner and I spent Valentine's Day at McDonald's. You always know what you're gonna get.
Lot of restaurants now serve reverse osmosis water (aka filtered water)....something like a couple of bucks with unlimited refills. Sometimes they will put a "carafe" for you to use to fill your own glasses.

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/44468/

You can ask for "tap water" though if you don't want to pay.

Re. this post, if it's clearly shown on the bill or on the menu, it's not cheating. May not be nice to advise people upfront, but not cheating IMO.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!