• Aug 1st, 2018 8:49 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15715 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto

Owned our treadmill for over a decade now and the cumulative usage is 11 hours

We moved into house 11 years ago, and immediately bought a treadmill, mainly for the wife. After a long time of having it idle, I fired up the treadmill again today. It says the cumulative usage on the treadmill is 11 hours.

Hah. So that's on average 1 hour a year. :facepalm:
Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 30th, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: We don't need Clickbait titles
13 replies
May 18, 2008
724 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Must have been a great decoration showpiece for 11 years
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15715 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
OK, I lied. I just checked my receipt and it turns out we were a few years in the house already. So only 7 years. That means over 1.5 hours average per year! ;)

I'd would have tried to sell it but the thing is over 250 lbs I believe. We had to disassemble it to get it up the stairs. To get it down the stairs we'd have to disassemble it again, and then leave it on the main floor taking up space and in the way of everything until someone bought it. And then the person buying wouldn't be able to move it either.

It's an Ironman Envision. Disassembling it involved opening up the cover to disconnect cables from the motherboard, so there's a risk of breaking too. I think it will stay on our second floor until it dies or until we die, whichever comes first!

BTW, for what we paid for it, it was $150 per hour of usage. :(
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
10454 posts
1530 upvotes
that's why home gyms are bad ideas, chances are you lose motivation after the 2nd week
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling or Threadcrapping
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1122 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
Start using it now. Let me know if you or your wife need some suggestions as to how to make the boring treadmill more fun. I am an experienced creative treadmill user.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15715 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Poppwl wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 10:04 pm
Start using it now. Let me know if you or your wife need some suggestions as to how to make the boring treadmill more fun. I am an experienced creative treadmill user.
Well, one thing is the treadmill has a TV screen with composite input. I just got an Amazon Fire TV Stick and have just ordered an HDMI to composite + audio converter. It would be good to be able to watch Netflix or Bell TV (which is an app on the Fire TV Stick) while using the thing. I personally prefer a rower though, or else just my bicycle. The treadmill was more my wife's thing, back in the day.

BTW, my daughter is now 5 and a half now, and she had never seen the thing in use until today. Astonished Face
sexyj wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 1:25 pm
that's why home gyms are bad ideas, chances are you lose motivation after the 2nd week
We actually have a very decent air rower. It's one of the ones with the fan on the end. I used to use that religiously at home.... until we had kids.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39197 posts
3498 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Mine sits. Only because I live so close to the gym. We just work out @ planet fitness $10/month you can't go wrong... As long as you hit it up 3 times a week you'll be fit!
So don't be discouraged. Just try it out for 15 minutes a day... thats barely anything. And work your way up from there and build good habits.

you can do it! go fitness and healthy life style.
Nov 23, 2015
462 posts
217 upvotes
Winnipeg
EugW wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2018 10:41 pm
We actually have a very decent air rower. It's one of the ones with the fan on the end. I used to use that religiously at home.... until we had kids.
Haha, I came here to say this. I actually enjoy trotting on the treadmill. I have a TV in front of it so I'd watch things that I'd normally never sit down to watch. But yeah, once the kids came along that was pretty much it.

I think I went from averaging 90 minutes a week on the treadmill pre-kids to maybe 90 minutes a year these days :)
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1122 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
I guess the treadmill is good if you have a show you want to watch but then I tend to want to lay on my couch and eat junk food when I'm trying to enjoy the show.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1230 posts
270 upvotes
Kanata
Mine is in front of my TV, kills time. My wife will use the IPAD with headphones when she is doing distance training on it. Makes life easier with the kid. But then again, I also build a full gym in the garage.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4747 posts
803 upvotes
Thornhill
I think I know at least 2 dozen families who had treadmills and they all ended up throwing or selling them as they would not use them past 1st year. Most of those were very very expensive.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1122 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
I always wondered if the treadmill came with an instructional video about all the things you can do on it. I used the treadmill at the gym and it's boring.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11952 posts
1731 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I envy people with home treadmills. You don't have to skip runs because of bad weather, smoke, traffic, etc What is wrong with u people?
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21528 posts
6421 upvotes
Toronto
treadmill is definitely boring to use, maybe that's why OP uses this as a piece of furniture Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)