Art and Photography

Owners of Canon T1i (question about video mode)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2009 12:40 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2003
2181 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal

Owners of Canon T1i (question about video mode)

Hi everyone,

I recently got my T1i recently. I'm upgrading from a XSi (wich is now the GF dslr).

I noticed with the T1i, once I turn the dial to camera, I can hear a buzzing/electonic small noise coming from the camera. Is it normal? Because I dont want the hassle to return the camera.

I heard it while I was playing with the camera in a quiet room.

Thanks for the help!
13 replies
Jun 30, 2009
812 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't noticed that with mine but I'll take another listen when I get home tonight and post again for you.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2007
1760 posts
58 upvotes
GTA
Not too sure if it's the noise that you're talking about, but when I set it to video mode, I can hear the mirror flip and a very short "buzz" if that's what you're talking about. Is your noise longer?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2003
2181 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
rayt- wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2009 11:06 am
Not too sure if it's the noise that you're talking about, but when I set it to video mode, I can hear the mirror flip and a very short "buzz" if that's what you're talking about. Is your noise longer?
No, i'm not talking about the mirror flipping... it's a continuous little sound...

And the sound stop as soon as you move the dial to another mode.

I first guess was the LiveView LCD mode. But the sound isnt present when shooting still image on the Live View... Only when you switch to the video mode.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2007
1760 posts
58 upvotes
GTA
vpower wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2009 11:11 am
No, i'm not talking about the mirror flipping... it's a continuous little sound...

And the sound stop as soon as you move the dial to another mode.

I first guess was the LiveView LCD mode. But the sound isnt present when shooting still image on the Live View... Only when you switch to the video mode.

Thanks
Other than the mirror flipping and a short buzz sound, there is no continuous noise from mine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2003
2181 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
rayt- wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2009 11:22 am
Other than the mirror flipping and a short buzz sound, there is no continuous noise from mine.
even if you put your ear to the camera? :|
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2007
1760 posts
58 upvotes
GTA
vpower wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2009 11:26 am
even if you put your ear to the camera? :|
Yeah I just tried it. Definately no noise in video mode.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1042 posts
52 upvotes
yup. no noise from mine either.

OP you should take it back and return it just to be safe.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
Does it say "cleaning sensor" on the screen? The sensor cleaning device vibrate the low pass filter in front of the sensor. On my 7D it sounds like a tiny mouse inside the camera.

Just noticed you said continuous sound. It could be from the back light on the LCD screen. This is a reported issue with some G10 P&S. It's the same sound as your fluorescent light since I don't think they have, like macs, moved to LED back lights.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2003
2181 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
The "only" thing I though was the "IS". But tried a differents lens without "IS" still have the sound.

As for the LCD, the sound isnt there when I'm using the LiveView for photo.

But I guess you guys are right..might just got a bad unit :mad:
gotak wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2009 11:57 am
Does it say "cleaning sensor" on the screen? The sensor cleaning device vibrate the low pass filter in front of the sensor. On my 7D it sounds like a tiny mouse inside the camera.

Just noticed you said continuous sound. It could be from the back light on the LCD screen. This is a reported issue with some G10 P&S. It's the same sound as your fluorescent light since I don't think they have, like macs, moved to LED back lights.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2003
2181 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
EDIT

Tried again... You're right... the sound comes from the IS.

Didnt know it could make that much sound.. LOL

I think once you go into video mode, the IS is working continuously.. That why I never "heard" of it while shooting pictures..

Thanks all!

Reave wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2009 11:06 pm
Try flicking IS off.. Thats the only buzzing mine does.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2007
1760 posts
58 upvotes
GTA
Oh no wonder. I'm using a Sigma 30/1.4.