• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2018 1:42 pm
[OP]
Mar 3, 2016
57 posts
4 upvotes

P.Eng (ERC) interview at PEO

Hi all,

Recently i had an interview at PEO which did'nt go well mainly because of the offensive attitude that one of the panel members showed throughout. I was not allowed to present even one of my projects fully. He did'nt even bother to have a look at them. He started firing questions at me when i had just started presenting my first project. He would not let me complete one answer and while i am just answering will throw another question. That guy kept humiliating me all the time through his aggressive attitude, sarcastic smiles, and gestures. I would call it verbal harassment of worst nature. I was really surprised to see PEO engaging such individuals in their panels who are totally unaware of the ethical standards that an interviewer is supposed to be maintaining.
Please advise if i can request PEO for re-scheduling my interview OR complain about it, if so whom should i complain to. Anyone who has come across such a situation, please share your thoughts and advice.

Thanks
20 replies
Aug 1, 2017
1 posts
You are not alone my friend. I recently had the same experience. I intend to appeal their decision. Regards
Aug 21, 2017
1 posts
Hi, have the same problem. Did you get any answer? could you please let me know coz I have to go through the same process too.
Jun 6, 2007
65 posts
21 upvotes
From my understanding of the process, the interview should have been video-taped such that you can appeal it if you feel you were treated unfairly.
Reach out to the following individual with your appeal request.

Pauline Lebel, P.Eng.
Manager, Licensure
416-840-1049
plebel@peo.on.ca

Good luck with the process
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3110 posts
279 upvotes
Mississauga
this dude sounds like a dick.

are you a foreign trained engineer? just curious.

def. go with the appeals process and if you find others in the same situation, check with each other, line up your stories and go all in for the complaint.

sucks that these additional unnecessary challenges are thrown in the way for engineers to practice...
Oct 17, 2017
1 posts
Hi all,

I had the same experience one month ago. I think it is a waste of time what type of engineering this guy is a volunteer for and so on. Maybe it would be a good Idea, just like bk2the 6ix mentioned, we should raise our voice together and let them know what happens, it can't be that more than 3 people have the same issue on the same interview.

Has anybody here got an answer yet?
Have you replied?
Nov 17, 2017
3 posts
I had exactly the same experience like the OP just a few weeks ago. The good thing is that it was video taped.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
685 upvotes
Speak with a lawyer. If you're an OSPE member, they might be able to refer you to a lawyer who can provide some specific advice relating to the legislation for administrative tribunals in Ontario that deal with Professional Engineering. If they denied you the principles of 'natural justice' in your application, ie: by refusing to hear your representations, for instance, if you have to take the whole thing to court, there could be a case for costs and damages.

Having said that, have they made a decision as to your application? If it is a panel, and one guy is a jerk, but the others aren't, its certainly possible that the others voted to accept your application for P.Eng. status. In which case, the whole matter is probably moot. I suppose you could pursue a professional complaint against the member in question if it legitimately is a case of abuse of process, but that would likely come at a pretty serious expenditure of time and risk to your reputation.
Nov 17, 2017
3 posts
Thanks burnt69. No, I am still waiting for the results. They told me that they would send a letter in about 4-6 weeks. By the way, I have heard from a few seniors that if they pass you, they tell you right away after the interview verbally otherwise, assume you've failed the interview, is that correct?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
685 upvotes
Engineer01 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 5:51 pm
Thanks burnt69. No, I am still waiting for the results. They told me that they would send a letter in about 4-6 weeks. By the way, I have heard from a few seniors that if they pass you, they tell you right away after the interview verbally otherwise, assume you've failed the interview, is that correct?
That might be the case if the decision is unanimous. But if the strange panelist wants to cause trouble then he probably would have to author a dissenting opinion, which would form part of the record. Even if the other panelists voted to pass you.

So good luck, but I don't think anything can be really said further until you actually have a decision in your hands. The decision may very well be legit, and should show you what you need to do further if there is a deficiency in such application.
May 8, 2017
94 posts
47 upvotes
Hello Guys,

I have my interview scheduled on 26th Jan 2018 for Mechanical PE, Can you share any tips for the interview? Have they asked questions apart from your work experience...?
[OP]
Mar 3, 2016
57 posts
4 upvotes
Hensta8, I tried approaching the lady you mentioned. But since she belongs to the same clan, just did little re-view of my video taped interview and replied nicely saying that she had to disregard my allegations. If anyone has ever gone through the process of filing a complaint through court, and what the cost implications are, would be helpful ! I personally think that such complaints cant be filed in ordinary courts, there must be some special forum to hear such cases.

It was a panel of just two guys, and interview was videotaped. I have got the result saying that I will have to appear in couple of exams.

greenfury - They go by basics, and talk very less about your experience. Like if have most of your experience related to HVAC, try refreshing HVAC basics before appearing for interview. Best of luck.
May 8, 2017
94 posts
47 upvotes
ycanada wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 3:15 pm
Hensta8, I tried approaching the lady you mentioned. But since she belongs to the same clan, just did little re-view of my video taped interview and replied nicely saying that she had to disregard my allegations. If anyone has ever gone through the process of filing a complaint through court, and what the cost implications are, would be helpful ! I personally think that such complaints cant be filed in ordinary courts, there must be some special forum to hear such cases.

It was a panel of just two guys, and interview was videotaped. I have got the result saying that I will have to appear in couple of exams.

greenfury - They go by basics, and talk very less about your experience. Like if have most of your experience related to HVAC, try refreshing HVAC basics before appearing for interview. Best of luck.
Thanks ycanada . will keep this in mind...
Jan 21, 2018
1 posts
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to share a bit of my experience with the PEO.

After I applied, I got a letter from PEO notifying me about the forthcoming interview, as an alternative to the "3+1" confirmatory exam program that have been assigned to me. That was the first (Academic Requirements) Interview which I passed relatively easy in Sep 2014. I presented two projects done by me (what I did, how and why). I reviewed and rehearsed my presentation several times before to make sure it will go like a "flow" without much of a stumbling and hesitations. After I finished they asked me several questions regarding engineering fundamentals, which I answered correctly. Then they told me that I passed and they would recommend the exams to be waived. The interviewers definitely were not hostile or offensive towards me, just polite and professional.

After this I took some time to prepare for and to take the PPE, which turned out to be not that easy (at least in my case) and finally passed it in June 2015. This was followed by a few months of silence when suddenly in October 2015 I received an email from PEO asking me to provide more references from my current (at that time) company "to complete the assessment of my engineering experience". I complied with their requirements and provided a couple of more references. Finally, in November 2015 I received a letter from PEO stating that "it is difficult to determine my exposure to all five experience criteria to be licensed a a professional engineer" and so they decided to invite me for the second ERC interview. I called them and asked questions regarding this interview (what kind of, what questions I should expect, most important what happens if I fail this second interview. They told me no exams will be assigned because I passed academics but I might be asked to come over again after getting more experience).

I went to this interview only on June 2016 (was unable to do earlier due to personal reasons). The interview appeared to be much tougher than the previous one. There were two interviewers (a senior and a younger one), the senior was the leading interviewer. They asked me a lot of engineering theory, fundamentals, formulae, equations, you name it. Their attitude was at the beginning quite stringent and intimidating (i.e. impugning all my answers, even on most obvious and basic questions), but the more correct answers I provided, the better their attitude towards me was becoming. Finally, after over an hour, the senior person told me that the interview is over and "he is okay". I asked them what the outcome was, they told me they are not allowed anymore to tell the applicant their opinion directly at the interview. I think their regulations have changed recently.
Finally, after about 6 weeks I received a notification from PEO that I passed and got the certification.

I'm almost 100% positive that some of my ex or at-that-time present employers/references could have said some sh#t about me 'cause I did not have too brilliant personal relationships with them despite working for them for few years each. That's why, in my opinion, I was invited for the second interview.

Totally it took me around 2.5 years from paper submissions, to receiving final notification from PEO. Could be a bit faster but I myself dragged on for some reasons...

What I would stress out from my experience:

1) GO PREPARED! That should include not only review of your experience but also strong fundamentals. Take courses, read textbooks, whatever works for you (I did both). They indeed ask A LOT of engineering fundamentals, as opposed to only practical experience.
2) WRITE IT DOWN! At the interview they provide you with a notepad and a pen. Your answers should be accompanied by formulae, equations, diagrams etc. Try to scribble your answers as much as possible, they will like it. Don't limit your answers to just bla bla bla with no writing at all.
2) COMMUNICATION IS IMPORTANT! Communicate to PEO people regarding every issue that is not clear and ask them directly for clarification. They are quite friendly and cooperative, and usually provide answers on all of your questions. Just make sure you formulate your questions clear and correct, that's it.
3) STAY AWAY FROM ROTTEN GUYS! Do not use any person as a reference if you have even slightest suspicion or gut feeling that the reference will not come back positive. Just don't, even if you are promised to be provided with a positive reference (my case).
4) GO STUDY MORE! PEO periodically conducts info sessions on how to prepare experience records and how to prepare for the PPE. They are very informative, so just visit them. I did, and apparently it worked.

Hope it will be helpful.
Cheers,
Bib Fortuna