Careers

P.Eng (ERC) interview at PEO

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2018 5:35 pm
Mar 21, 2018
1 posts
ycanada wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 3:15 pm
Hensta8, I tried approaching the lady you mentioned. But since she belongs to the same clan, just did little re-view of my video taped interview and replied nicely saying that she had to disregard my allegations. If anyone has ever gone through the process of filing a complaint through court, and what the cost implications are, would be helpful ! I personally think that such complaints cant be filed in ordinary courts, there must be some special forum to hear such cases.

It was a panel of just two guys, and interview was videotaped. I have got the result saying that I will have to appear in couple of exams.

greenfury - They go by basics, and talk very less about your experience. Like if have most of your experience related to HVAC, try refreshing HVAC basics before appearing for interview. Best of luck.
Hi ycanada,

There have been a couple of individuals that have tried going through the courts with the PEO in the ERC process, (can be found here: https://www.canlii.org/en/#search/text=PEO%20ERC), you could probably contact the individuals named directly to find out about their experience. In general, it is unlikely that a judge would feel qualified enough to decide whether or not someone should be a P Eng. I think a best case scenario would be to have a judge agree that the P Eng process does not make any sense as the criteria are not transparent and the whole process appears entirely arbitrary. However, you are probably looking at $60,000+ in legal fees to make the case. The easiest course of action would be to take whatever measures the PEO have recommended for you to take in order to be a P Eng. I know it would not be easy to do as the PEO asks as it feels like a waste of time because you already have the experience but we are stuck with them for now.
Apr 9, 2018
2 posts
Hey, I just had a very similar experience. One of the panel members was very aggressive and unprofessional. He did not let me talk about my experience at all. As soon as I started he cut me off and kept harrassing me. I intend to appeal. Not sure what good it will do but this type of conduct is shameful.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6001 posts
1543 upvotes
I had a similar experience back in 2012 and have not tried to re-apply since. They are VERY aggressive and intimidating during the interview. The more you stutter, the harder they press. It's absolutely humiliating. I also had the unfortunate situation of working under two P. Engs. that didn't teach me shit properly or like me. My ignorance (not just in engineering but rather the politics at my then job) is what got me into the ERC situation to begin with. To this day, I haven't tried to re-apply for P. Eng. and it also makes me wonder for those that have P. Eng. just after 48 months of experience and a good review, how many could actually pass an ERC interview?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1555 posts
426 upvotes
BluePhirePB wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 11:51 am
I had a similar experience back in 2012 and have not tried to re-apply since. They are VERY aggressive and intimidating during the interview. The more you stutter, the harder they press. It's absolutely humiliating. I also had the unfortunate situation of working under two P. Engs. that didn't teach me shit properly or like me. My ignorance (not just in engineering but rather the politics at my then job) is what got me into the ERC situation to begin with. To this day, I haven't tried to re-apply for P. Eng. and it also makes me wonder for those that have P. Eng. just after 48 months of experience and a good review, how many could actually pass an ERC interview?
It's been my experience that this is the norm, not the exception. No matter how nice a guy you might be, the working engineer only sees you as yet another person competing for budget hours.
Nov 8, 2006
657 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Not in my case. Why do you guys need a face-to-face interview?

I've graduated from engineering, study, wrote the test, appliet EIT, wrote the experience and get my approval in email + cert and stamp in mail.
Apr 9, 2018
2 posts
Thank you for this. I am a foreign trained engineer with about 10 years experience, currently working in Toronto.
I had a horrible experience with the ERC interview conducted in April this year and I just reached out to this lady. Hopefully it works out.
Aug 24, 2018
1 posts
Hi dear,
Any updates? Did you hear back from her?
Thanks.
Jul 29, 2018
18 posts
2 upvotes
Pardon this noob here. I thought only the written exam and 4 years of experience are needed. Do we need to face an interview panel? What do they ask?
Sep 18, 2018
1 posts
Hello Guys,
Unfortunately I experienced the same while interview...
Out of 2 guys, one was pretty satisfied and had reasonable professional questions for me, considering my 10 years of industry experience but the second member was kind of a lecturer and started kind of a viva exam by asking basic questions.
He did not even asked me anything related to my projects rather than basics for the Technology band formulas and principles....
Secondly he kept on saying that any technician could have done the same my using the same software or any graduate could have used that software ... What's ur invention kinda questions....

I'm really disappointed and seeking some guidance for my options..
Can I reapply through a new application to have another interview as I know appeal won't work?

It's really unfortunate to see that PEO has guys like him that have their own academies for the P-Eng exam training and stuff so they would want u to fail the interviews and get registered in their program...
Seems like a business to me

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Regards.
Adnan