Tags:
None
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
31 upvotes
GTA

p.o box rental in the buffalo/ niagara area

does anyone know how I can get a mailbox in buffalo to receive things i buy on the internet.?

Someone said you can rent a mailbox for a fee in the buffalo niagara area, please shed some light with links and phone numbers.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
glaswegian wrote:does anyone know how I can get a mailbox in buffalo to receive things i buy on the internet.?

Someone said you can rent a mailbox for a fee in the buffalo niagara area, please shed some light with links and phone numbers.
To be more specific, are you looking for a forwarding service, or to travel down and pick the items up yourself?
Jul 27, 2005
344 posts
Ottawa, ON
Go to UPS.com and search for UPS store. Sometimes you don't even need to rent a mailbox. They can accept parcel for you for a $5 flat rate. However, you take your own risk because they have a lot of parcels stocking up and it could be lost.
[OP]
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
Whitedart wrote:To be more specific, are you looking for a forwarding service, or to travel down and pick the items up yourself?

I will like to go pick it up myself in buffalo.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
glaswegian wrote:I will like to go pick it up myself in buffalo.
I use Niagara Falls, NY, rather than Buffalo. Niagara Falls Blvd. has a relatively large, new post office (about 4 years old) about 10-15 minutes from Queenston and Rainbow bridges. As I recall, there are 3 other older post offices in the Niagara area - check [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=218]zip[/rfdlink] 1430x on usps.com

A P.O. box will cost about $5.00 a month for a small box, and will accept any packages sent through the post office. Larger items (than mail) are kept in the back so they need to be picked up during post office hours. They will hold packages for up to 30 days, as I recall. They will not accept or sign for courier deliveries.

UPS has a depot nearby that will hold UPS shipped packages for pickup, at no cost. I know where it is, but can't recall the street names - Parkard/Porter exit off I-190?

Someone else mentioned the UPS store, but a box there will cost about $17-21 a month, limit the number of items held without an extra charge, and limit the number of days (7?) held without an extra charge.
I have used this, and the service was good, but it is costly compared to the post office. At the time, I never realized the post office would accept things like a car bumper I had shipped from Washington state.

If you want to travel the extra distance to Buffalo, the services available would be similar.

There was some discussion earlier this year about customs, and clearing your own items, as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2426 posts
303 upvotes
glaswegian wrote:does anyone know how I can get a mailbox in buffalo to receive things i buy on the internet.?

Take a look at this thread, should give you a better idea, I hope.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ting+boxes
[OP]
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
Whitedart wrote:I use Niagara Falls, NY, rather than Buffalo. Niagara Falls Blvd. has a relatively large, new post office (about 4 years old) about 10-15 minutes from Queenston and Rainbow bridges. As I recall, there are 3 other older post offices in the Niagara area - check [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=218]zip[/rfdlink] 1430x on usps.com

A P.O. box will cost about $5.00 a month for a small box, and will accept any packages sent through the post office. Larger items (than mail) are kept in the back so they need to be picked up during post office hours. They will hold packages for up to 30 days, as I recall. They will not accept or sign for courier deliveries.

UPS has a depot nearby that will hold UPS shipped packages for pickup, at no cost. I know where it is, but can't recall the street names - Parkard/Porter exit off I-190?

Someone else mentioned the UPS store, but a box there will cost about $17-21 a month, limit the number of items held without an extra charge, and limit the number of days (7?) held without an extra charge.
I have used this, and the service was good, but it is costly compared to the post office. At the time, I never realized the post office would accept things like a car bumper I had shipped from Washington state.

If you want to travel the extra distance to Buffalo, the services available would be similar.

There was some discussion earlier this year about customs, and clearing your own items, as well.

This is the kind of thing we want, and to pick it up at niagara falls NY rather than go into buffalo.

THX
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
Anyone know offhand how long a UPS Depot will hold deliveries without charge? Can one just give UPS Depot address as destrination when purchasing in US?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Kai Viti wrote:Anyone know offhand how long a UPS Depot will hold deliveries without charge? Can one just give UPS Depot address as destrination when purchasing in US?

Thanks.
I think the time is about 7 days that they will hold the item, although it is possibly longer. I had an [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]Ebay[/rfdlink] seller send an item via UPS to a New York PO Box. UPS will not deliver to a PO bos as no one will sign for delivery. When I went down to pick up some other items, I had card from UPS at the PO box indicating I had an item to pick up. It may have been between 7 and 14 days at that time, but the item was at the depot.

As far as giving the UPS depot address, I suspect that would be ok, as long as you let the depot know an item is coming, with a request to hold it for pickup.

I would suggest calling the nearest depot and asking, therough their main 800 number. If they have your name and phone number on file at the depot, they can call when the item arrives, and you can then make arrangements for pickup.
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
Whitedart wrote:I think the time is about 7 days that they will hold the item, although it is possibly longer. I had an [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]Ebay[/rfdlink] seller send an item via UPS to a New York PO Box. UPS will not deliver to a PO bos as no one will sign for delivery. When I went down to pick up some other items, I had card from UPS at the PO box indicating I had an item to pick up. It may have been between 7 and 14 days at that time, but the item was at the depot.

As far as giving the UPS depot address, I suspect that would be ok, as long as you let the depot know an item is coming, with a request to hold it for pickup.

I would suggest calling the nearest depot and asking, therough their main 800 number. If they have your name and phone number on file at the depot, they can call when the item arrives, and you can then make arrangements for pickup.
Thanks for your insights. I'll definitely track down the depot in Niagara,NY and call them up. I asked my local UPS driver, but he didn't know the details for even Canada.

Now the other thing is to get a PayPal account with UPS' address!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Kai Viti wrote: Now the other thing is to get a PayPal account with UPS' address!
I opened a US Paypal account, using a US PO box address about 4 years ago. A PO box at USPS is not expensive at about $48US per year, and they will accept large packages, as long as they are sent via US Postal Service, and further will hold the items for up to 28 days.
CDN to US exchange rate was about 1.5 back then and is now down to about 1.10.

For you idea about using UPS's address, you could likely do it as
your name
c/o UPS
6601 PACKARD RD
NIAGARA FALLS, NY 14304

If someone questions the address, you could indicate a relative works there, and picks up your packages, or something similar.

Here's a link for Niagara Falls, NY UPS
http://www.ups.com/dropoff/director/990886

UPS CUSTOMER CENTER
STAFFED LOCATION
6601 PACKARD RD
NIAGARA FALLS, NY 14304
800-742-5877

Hours of Operation
Mon-Fri: 1:00pm-6:00pm;
Sat, Sun: Closed
Dec 2, 2004
927 posts
Whitedart wrote:I opened a US Paypal account, using a US PO box address about 4 years ago. A PO box at USPS is not expensive at about $48US per year, and they will accept large packages, as long as they are sent via US Postal Service, and further will hold the items for up to 28 days.
CDN to US exchange rate was about 1.5 back then and is now down to about 1.10.

For you idea about using UPS's address, you could likely do it as
your name
c/o UPS
6601 PACKARD RD
NIAGARA FALLS, NY 14304

If someone questions the address, you could indicate a relative works there, and picks up your packages, or something similar.

Here's a link for Niagara Falls, NY UPS
http://www.ups.com/dropoff/director/990886

UPS CUSTOMER CENTER
STAFFED LOCATION
6601 PACKARD RD
NIAGARA FALLS, NY 14304
800-742-5877

Hours of Operation
Mon-Fri: 1:00pm-6:00pm;
Sat, Sun: Closed
Thanks a lot for the info. A PO Box is no good for me, as my shipments will be by UPS mainly.
And now to start applying for ID so I can cross the border; not so much going but mainly to get back into Canada without hassle!!

Thanks again.
× < >