None
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Which P&S?? Sold my Rebel XTi

I just sold my rebel XTi (still have some lens, flash, battery grip - for sale in BST). I sold it because i have two little girls and it's really hard lugging around a big camera.

I am now looking for P&S and need some recommendations please.

Thanks!
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7040 posts
173 upvotes
New Westminster
XTi is considered huge?

Anyway, the new Canon G10 should be a good choice, that or Panasonic LX3.

Also, a budget and/or what features you are looking for would make it easy for people to give you recommendations.
insert witty comment
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
3052 posts
333 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Then can you tell us how small you want your camera to be?
If it's a small point and shoot, I recommend a Nikon Coolpix S700/710
If it's medium...the G10 or the LX3 would be nice
If you still want the professional stuff............PANASONIC G1 (im just kidding lol)
Banned
Nov 19, 2005
2985 posts
1 upvote
Markham/Kingston
1337rice wrote:
Sep 17th, 2008 10:38 pm
If you still want the professional stuff............PANASONIC G1 (im just kidding lol)
Personally, before recommending him some cameras we should ask what type of photography he is interested in? We already know that he wants something smaller and more portable than his old DSLR so that is a good start.
Toronto Wedding, Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer
www.spencerfu.com
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18913 posts
439 upvotes
YYZ
manixc wrote:
Sep 17th, 2008 10:21 pm
XTi is considered huge?

Anyway, the new Canon G10 should be a good choice, that or Panasonic LX3.

Also, a budget and/or what features you are looking for would make it easy for people to give you recommendations.
The LX3 is probably be the better choice considering it's using a bigger sensor. The G10 is essentially using a G9 sized sensor with more pixels packed in it. I highly doubt the G10 will perform very well at high ISO settings.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18913 posts
439 upvotes
YYZ
1337rice wrote:
Sep 17th, 2008 10:38 pm
The G1 is probably a good choice. I'm actually amazed at how small that camera is. It's too bad Panasonic isn't coming out with any fast lens for that camera. I don't want to use a 4/3 lens with an adapter on that thing. It would be great if Olympus comes out with a fast micro 4/3 lens and maybe an optional battery grip.
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Wow!! Thanks for all the replies!!

I have a 3 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old. For thos of you that have kids, you will probably appreciate the fact that our (spouse and I) hands are always literally full whenever we go out or travel. Bags/strollers/carrying kids etc.

With that said, I found it very hard to also lug around the Rebel with a battery grip, a 17-55 lens, a 50 prime, an external flash (580 EX), etc, etc....

What I am looking for a something I can carry easilty and use instantly to take pics of my family, sights, etc. I know I will really miss the Rebel due to the lens (zoom). Price range is around $400.

Thanks!
May 28, 2006
757 posts
481 upvotes
Mostly what's been said is good
G9/G10 - To keep as many manual controls as you used to have with the XTI
Panny TZ4 or TZ5 will give you 10x zoom from 28 to 280 mils which isn't too shabby
Pann FX35 or FX37 will give you 4-5x zoom, but you get to shoot HD videos of your family
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2023 posts
261 upvotes
Canada
I've always had excellent results from Canon P&S cameras. I have both the SD1000 and the SD870IS. The SD870IS has a wide angle lens on it and is my main travel camera when I want to travel light.
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Smiley09 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2008 6:53 am
Mostly what's been said is good
G9/G10 - To keep as many manual controls as you used to have with the XTI
Panny TZ4 or TZ5 will give you 10x zoom from 28 to 280 mils which isn't too shabby
Pann FX35 or FX37 will give you 4-5x zoom, but you get to shoot HD videos of your family
Thanks... now where can I get a decent deal on any of these? Checked bestbuy.ca and don't see any of them... wanted to go see the cameras physically as well before I buy...
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12056 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Don't buy at Best Buy...

Check Henry's out. The Panasonic LX3 is an awesome camera if you're used to the manual control your XTi offered you. The TZ5 will give you a much more versatile lens in exchange of those manual controls.
Deal with it.
Jan 20, 2004
690 posts
126 upvotes
Shaf wrote:
Sep 18th, 2008 6:03 am
Wow!! Thanks for all the replies!!

I have a 3 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old. For thos of you that have kids, you will probably appreciate the fact that our (spouse and I) hands are always literally full whenever we go out or travel. Bags/strollers/carrying kids etc.

With that said, I found it very hard to also lug around the Rebel with a battery grip, a 17-55 lens, a 50 prime, an external flash (580 EX), etc, etc....

What I am looking for a something I can carry easilty and use instantly to take pics of my family, sights, etc. I know I will really miss the Rebel due to the lens (zoom). Price range is around $400.

Thanks!

I think you should have just packed lighter on your outings.

Eg. Xti with no grip, leave the flash at home (since the built in flash would be equivalent or better than a p&s's flash), have the18-55 kit lens mounted and the 50 prime is small anyways. Or if you only had the 50 prim mounted, the Xti is even smaller/lighter.

My 2 cents.