• Oct 10th, 2008 3:39 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 10, 2008
234 posts
8 upvotes

P0100 & P1320 Error Codes in Nissan Maxima 2000

Hi Friends

Using my wife's Id, but this is my first post at RFD. Understand that this site is great, for discussions and forums.

I own a Nissan Maxima 2000. Last week, I hit a problem. I started my car, and let it run for sometime ( warming up), but within 30 seconds, the car shut-down and I had to turn it on again. I would keep pressing the ignition and let it run for a while, to avoid the total shut-down.

The same day, I had a problem where I could not accelerate beyond 2400 Rpm. The car would start to choke, and the acceleration would just not happen. But the car would run just fine, within the 2400 rpm. I would need to decellerate, and keep pusing the acceleration till it hit 2400 rpm ( max 110km/hr)

Spoke to a couple of Auto Repair Stores, and also found a thread in RFD, for some local mechanics. Found one in Brampton, who was highly recommended. "A Auto Repair"

He checked the car, and mentioned that it needed a fine-tune, to see if that solved the problem. Did the fine tune ( replaced all the spark plugs and the Air Filter). This DID NOT solve the problem. The car still did not accelerate beyond 2400 Rpm, nor did the starting problem get resolved.

After this, he hooked up the car, to a handheld, which read Error Codes from the car. Unfortunately, the Service Engine Light in my car was either fused, or removed. Hence I was not getting the appropriate Indication, to rectify this error prior.

Today, we checked the error codes, and the 2 codes we got were, P0100 and P1320. The mechanic mentioned, that the Mass Air Flow Sensor needs to be replaced, and he believes 90%, that this was the problem for the acceleration.

The cost of the sensor is 210$ + tax. He also mentioned it should not take more than 30 - 45 mts to replace the MAF sensor.

He has mentioned that if replacing the MAF sensor doesnt work, then he would need to follow from there, and check the P1320 error code.

Can someone let me know, what could be the potential acceleration problem? With the analysis, is it potentially the MAF airflow that needs to be replaced?

Also, is my Ignition or starting problem, be associated with the P1320 error ( Understand that is it got something to do with the Ignition Coil )

I need to make a decision, and decide to replace the MAF.

Any suggestion would help

Thanks in advance

Praveen
11 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2004
1373 posts
1 upvote
Toronto!
Sounds about right, it sounds like the MAF. This is what will happen when there is a CEL code with the MAF. To replace the MAF takes 10-20 min, not 40. It also costs $120, not $220. (Well thats for my car anyways). I had a friend who just replaced his on an Audi A4 for $140. (Installed it himself). He had the same symptoms as you, I too believe I'm having problems with my MAF.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24630 posts
2353 upvotes
Ottawa
This is a good example of what the DTC codes are and are not. Even if you have the codes, some folks do not understand what to do with them.
Your mechanic was right to check the air path (filter) and ignition (plugs) but he may not have had to replace them.
The MAF code does not mean that you definitely need to replace it. You need to find out why you got it. It could be dirt, it could be that the plumbing has come off (ductwork, rubber bellows etc), crack in the air intake ducting and even dirt on the wire inside the sensor. It may just need to be cleaned.
As for the P1320, it is the same situation, It indicates a ignition issue. It could be a plug, or a wire, or a module. But which module? Does he have the ability to test the ignition coils? If not, he will recommend you replace them all for about $600. Was there a code for a misfire? I would start with that coil first.
Sometimes you need to take it to a place that has a good computerized code reader that will diagnose instead of just reading stored codes.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5669 posts
161 upvotes
GTA
just called 3 Nissan Dealerships randomly and they all wanted $600 for the MAS + 1 hour labour. Then I called 3 Jap. Parts suppliers for aftermarket parts and they were all within $200 +/- $10. Apparantely it's a common problem with the Nissans, according to one of the Jap. Suppliers.

Therefore $210 + .5hours labour is a fair price. Furthermore, in speakiing with another Mechanic who specializes in Japanese cars, he too stated that 99% of the symptoms that the OP described are caused by the MAF.

sk
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
1799 posts
21 upvotes
P0100 - Mass Air Flow Sensor
P1320 - Ignition Signal

There's your codes for you. MAF definately needs to be replaced from the code + the symptoms you've described. Something else to look into the IACV(Idle Air Control Valve), since you mentioned the car will not stay running. But before that, definately replace your MAF.

Oh, when asking for a MAF, try and get the 2001 MAF as it is a stronger model. I'm not sure if the 2000 MAF ever got updated.

Call Dave Burnette @ Southpoint Nissan in Texas and you'll get the MAF rush deliered to you and for cheaper than you'd get it here. I can't recall his number but just google the dealership and call them and ask for Dave.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6502 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto
It's a Nissan which means it will need a new MAF every 2 years.

The job is easy, the part is expensive. You can do this yourself - just need to disassemble the intake pipe from the MAF assembly (the black small tube with a wire plugged into it).

Your car is in 'limp' mode which is why you can't go past 2400rpm. As a temporary measure you can attempt to clean the sensor (using an MAF cleaner), please do NOT touch the small sensor in the middle of the tube with your fingers. But likely it's just gone bad. $200 seems ok. Remember, OEM this is a $500 part (or was). You can try salvage yards if you want to save a little money (lots of Nissan parts out there) but you won't get it for much less than $100 for a used part.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
1799 posts
21 upvotes
ichpen wrote:
Oct 6th, 2008 4:51 pm
It's a Nissan which means it will need a new MAF every 2 years.
My MAF has been fine for 5+ years? lol
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
1799 posts
21 upvotes
ichpen wrote:
Oct 6th, 2008 10:24 pm
Good for you...
So please don't spit out useless garbage next time. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6502 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto
skidz88 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2008 5:51 am
So please don't spit out useless garbage next time. Thank you.
Not useless. Quite concrete. You only need to browse the Nissan forums to discover that a very substantial number of Maximas, Altimas and G35s have gone through several MAFs.

It's a well documented fact that MAF failures are very common with 02-06 Nissan/Infiniti cars.

I did not imply that every single Nissan would experience this. If your car is a Nissan that is in limp mode I'm not afraid to state that in 90% of cases it's an MAF failure.

BTW, I've owned 2 Nissans (Maxima and Altima) and a G35s. 2 of the 3 cars needed a new MAF.
Jun 4, 2005
624 posts
1 upvote
MAF on Nissans are quite weak... I agree... but during my ownership, I had no problem with it.

Before you drop $$$ in your car do yourself a couple of favours...

1. Look for MAF sensory CLEANER, its a spray, take the MAF out urself, and try to clean it... MAF is very easy to unplug your self...

2. Register at www.maxima.org/forums , if you own a 5th gen max, you will be thankful for the site

3. Don't ever order parts from local Nissan. Order from www.everythingnissan.com or better Dave B, he is a well known nissan dealer parts guy on maxima.org

If you mechanics charge $200 for MAF, make sure it is new. Like others have stated, Nissan sensors are generally pretty weak, so if the sensor is not new, they might have problem pretty soon.
× < >