• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2017 5:14 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1407 posts
475 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
May 31st, 2017 2:30 pm
As a Torontonian, I can't wait to wait in line for 2 hours.
you could always pay someone to line up for you, I remember seeing some guy hold a sign saying 'will line up for money' haha
Oct 28, 2012
574 posts
80 upvotes
EDMONTON
Had this and milky in Japan. Thought Milky tasted better
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
7923 posts
724 upvotes
wirebound wrote:
May 31st, 2017 3:41 pm
who knew there were so many types of Asian tarts? I still haven't tried Uncle Tetsu's.
fyi..Uncle Tetsu's is overrated and overhyped and they r not the best J cheese cake...in fact, they r opened by Taiwanese ...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
May 31, 2007
353 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Never tried Pablo myself but my sis' friend said that it's waayyyy better than Uncle Tetsu. Also, there is no line up at Uncle Tetsu at Inion station :)
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
2757 posts
233 upvotes
3 hours round trip to downtown for me, and 3 hrs line up at Pablo. My day is gone
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
2536 posts
615 upvotes
kareshi wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 9:37 pm
3 hours round trip to downtown for me, and 3 hrs line up at Pablo. My day is gone
It isn't open yet... Anyone know when?
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3835 posts
2422 upvotes
Toronto
mech9t5 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:53 am
It isn't open yet... Anyone know when?
Friday, August 18th, 4pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9270 posts
437 upvotes
Markham
Tried Pablo when I visited Japan, it's good but don't be whack and line up for it. Plus it probably won't taste as good here because it's probably going to be local milk. There's something unique about Japanese milk... it's just really good.
:lol:
May 29, 2008
612 posts
185 upvotes
Hamilton
kiasu wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 9:39 pm
fyi..Uncle Tetsu's is overrated and overhyped and they r not the best J cheese cake...in fact, they r opened by Taiwanese ...
From Wikipedia:
Uncle Tetsu's Cheesecake is a cheesecake store that originally began in 1990 on Oyafukou Street in the Hakata area of Fukuoka, Japan.
Their source is Uncle Tetsu's website though. Do you mean the one in Toronto is owned by Taiwanese people, or are you saying that their website is lying about who founded Uncle Tetsu?
Oct 9, 2011
141 posts
39 upvotes
The Canterbury Tail wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 1:03 pm
Pablo is almost more like a souffle than a tart. And it's fabulous.
Souffle is light and airy, not filling at all. Pablo is real cheesecake in a pie crust, dense and filling.
Apr 22, 2009
1 posts
1 upvote

They are giving away 150 free tarts on opening day
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4147 posts
660 upvotes
Most Japanese places in Toronto are owned by Chinese. They just hire Japanese staff to to make it look Japanese. I would imagine Pablo is also brought over to Canada by a Chinese person with business experience and a lot of money. You need a lot of money to start a business and frankly rich Japanese people have better things to do than to come to Toronto.

Uncle Tetsu is really from Japan. But his brand is basically dead in Japan, which is why he has been expanding overseas. Even when you go overseas, tastes can vary for practical reasons. When it comes to pastries, the key difference is due to milk and flour. Obviously you're not going to import something like milk from Japan. And seriously, Canadian milk is better...A lot of asians have this obsession with Japanese things and think everything from Japan is better. It's not. But yes...Japanese people definitely care more about quality than the average Asian.

This whole cheesecake thing is a short lived hype imo. Probably dead after 5 years. I already don't see the long lineups at Uncle Tetsu's. It's a product that's quite easy to copy and Love Me Sweet basically sells the same thing but in more variety of flavors.
Oct 9, 2011
141 posts
39 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 12:05 pm
Most Japanese places in Toronto are owned by Chinese. They just hire Japanese staff to to make it look Japanese. I would imagine Pablo is also brought over to Canada by a Chinese person with business experience and a lot of money. You need a lot of money to start a business and frankly rich Japanese people have better things to do than to come to Toronto.

Uncle Tetsu is really from Japan. But his brand is basically dead in Japan, which is why he has been expanding overseas. Even when you go overseas, tastes can vary for practical reasons. When it comes to pastries, the key difference is due to milk and flour. Obviously you're not going to import something like milk from Japan. And seriously, Canadian milk is better...A lot of asians have this obsession with Japanese things and think everything from Japan is better. It's not. But yes...Japanese people definitely care more about quality than the average Asian.

This whole cheesecake thing is a short lived hype imo. Probably dead after 5 years. I already don't see the long lineups at Uncle Tetsu's. It's a product that's quite easy to copy and Love Me Sweet basically sells the same thing but in more variety of flavors.

Uncle Tetsu is not "dead" they just never bother expanding in Japan (probably due to competition, there's Uncle Rikuro and all kind of imported European brand in Tokyo), instead they expanded in Taiwan and now Canada. I lived in Japan for a few years and have never seen Uncle Tetsu in major cities like Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya, but there is Uncle Rikuro which is very similar to Uncle Tetsu that is still doing very well in Osaka. I agree Uncle Tetsu is over rated here in Canada but that is because there is no such kind of cheesecake in Canada. I tried Love Me Sweet cheesetarts and was disappointed but I do have high expectation for Pablo. I am not a chef nor patissier but I think aside from ingredients, recipe is also important.

If Pablo is doing well (very well) in Japan where people are super picky and with lots of competition, I don't see why it won't do well in Toronto. Not to mention $10 for a cheesecake is actually very reasonable, if you compare to French patisserie like Nadege. I am not sure what kind of hype you are expecting to die down over time, I definitely don't want to line up for hours for a cheesecake after a few months of opening but I think it will do well and maybe expanding to more locations.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)