Shopping Discussion

Is Pacific Mall all its hyped up to be when it comes to tech deals?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2014 12:28 pm
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Apr 20, 2011
1639 posts
166 upvotes
dragon_drift wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 3:48 pm
naw, they're just all grouchy.
For what reason? Selling under valued goods at highyway robbery prices. Atleast give service with a smile. Geezzz.
Jan 5, 2009
564 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pmall is where tourists and people with disposable income go to get ripped off :razz:

Service overall is poor, be prepared to be watched continuously watched like you are a robber. Prices are usually really high. product quality and return/exchange policies are questionable. Some stalls may still do under the table deals though.

I don't see them offering much deals since they are mostly just small businesses who have to pay likely very high rent.

Buy direct from the china wholesale sellers is a better alternative
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8052 posts
1499 upvotes
Toronto
I still remember how many of the pirate DVD stores would have some old lady or equivalent at the front of the store standing watch for law enforcement.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1847 posts
94 upvotes
oh my god ... this thread is way too funny.... Thanks guys.. :D
bootleg DVD
bad service
bad car driving
bubble tea
high price product
food -egg waffle
Hello Kitty cell accessories
not to forget bathroom usage !

anything I missed..? :-0
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6069 posts
816 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Pmall used to be good for looking at Asia/Europe only phones, import video games/TV shows, cheap Chinese made gadgets, and computer parts. Of course there were also the DVD selling places.

However it's all changed now. NA cell phones had caught up to the rest of the world and arguably better post-iPhone. Games and TV shows can be bought online for cheaper. Sites like DX provides a lot more selection and cheaper price for Chinese stuff. Computer stores are closing (even Canada Computers) left and right. And of course all the DVD places are closed.

It seems that for every space freed up it would be occupied by a BBT/snack place. Not worth the risk of getting your car ding because some old lady is driving a car too big for her own good. The only thing I would go there for is Beard Papa's.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Mar 25, 2011
708 posts
31 upvotes
Guelph
I remember traveling 2 hours for a cell phone case @ PMall a long time ago. I was about to travel and I didn't want my iMATE JAM to get damaged while on vaca.

...and that was that for gadgets. Since then, I've only gotten food and eyeglasses from Pmall.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2618 posts
585 upvotes
Only ever went there once to buy an R4, was shocked at the huge price difference between a few stores
Other stores in the mall all looked like they had cheap crap and I was puzzled as to why anyone shopped there, assumed they had lots of cool stuff and not just pirated DVDs

Is P.Mall still doing well? Is the new Chinese mall going to be the same or more upscale?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
Back in the late 90's when PMall had just opened, there were a lot of electronic stores that sold Japanese electronics not available anywhere else in Ontario. They had great deals on Sony Discman models and MiniDisc players that could not be found in the likes of Futureshop. Also, if you spoke Chinese, you were able to negotiate better cash deals that excluded taxes, lower prices and more freebies then say, someone who only spoke English. Back then, there were no tourists and no cloth stores, far less cell phones. It was all miscellaneous electronics stores, Canada Computers, toy model stores and pirated DVD stores.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
May 13, 2002
217 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
BigJonsson wrote:
Nov 20th, 2012 3:07 am
Is the new Chinese mall going to be the same or more upscale?
What new mall are you talking about?
Michael
Dec 21, 2006
171 posts
36 upvotes
no, there is nothing good there anymore... Canada Computer and SIG Electronics moved out to other locations. The stores in there are way too small, and get way too crowded on weekends especially the cell phone stores. Now there is no more pirated DVDs there's tons of knock-offs, gross. I avoid this place at all times, unless I want something unique to eat.
Dec 21, 2006
171 posts
36 upvotes
What new mall are you talking about?
Probably the one being build at kennedy & Hwy7, I Think this mall will be better, the T&T there is very nice and clean.
May 13, 2002
217 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
'[s2 wrote:;15789979']Probably the one being build at kennedy & Hwy7, I Think this mall will be better, the T&T there is very nice and clean.
Will have to check it out when it opens.

My favourite -- even though I haven't done "favourite" anything since I was a kid -- T&T has to be the one at West Edmonton Mall!
Michael
Jun 6, 2008
31 posts
Toronto
" Sites like DX provides a lot more selection and cheaper price for Chinese stuff. Computer stores are closing (even Canada Computers) left and right. And of course all the DVD places are closed. "

what is this DX thing?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)