• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2008 1:29 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 13, 2007
201 posts

Pacific Notebooks... any good?

I've done a quick sweep of the forums to find lots of negative stuff about "Notebook Outlet", but not much on Pacific Notebooks. I'm planning on laying down ~$2000 for a tablet PC at this shop, as it's one of the very few places that seem to have it on sale. So, how is this place? Any particularly good/bad experiences with them? And on a side note, are there any other good shops around Toronto that sell Tablets? Interested in the Fujitsu T2010... Thanks!
11 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21312 posts
2131 upvotes
$2k for 2010? Take a look at the Fujitsu site, I know a guy who got it for $1900 with various discounts.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8250 posts
1190 upvotes
mygu wrote:
Sep 12th, 2007 8:00 pm
I've done a quick sweep of the forums to find lots of negative stuff about "Notebook Outlet", but not much on Pacific Notebooks. I'm planning on laying down ~$2000 for a tablet PC at this shop, as it's one of the very few places that seem to have it on sale. So, how is this place? Any particularly good/bad experiences with them? And on a side note, are there any other good shops around Toronto that sell Tablets? Interested in the Fujitsu T2010... Thanks!
Not the best prices so shop around.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4787 posts
846 upvotes
apparently all the other computer stores @ pmall hate pacific notebooks .. (its the store beside the curry fish ball place right?) apparently they say they are authorized dealers etc but they arent.. and are pretty shady so buyer beware
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Jun 5, 2006
579 posts
2 upvotes
well I just purchased a laptop from them recently. The guy that looked like the owner knew what he was talking about. I can't say the same about the rest.

My Story:
-They listed that they had the Asus R1E in stock for $1750+tax before Asus even started producing it in Taiwan! (their home country). I was curious so I called. They refused to give me a good answer on the phone. All they said was that it was in their warehouse and that I have to come into the store for more information. They wouldn't elaborate so out of curiosity I actually went all the way to markham from mississauga just to check the new model out. Turns out they were lying! They even admitted it. They didn't have the R1E in stock, it was expected to ship in October but they listed it on their website to make sure buyers knew that a newer version of the R1F was coming out. Honestly, what kinda BS is that?
-Once inside their store, they tried selling me other laptops. At this point in time I was sick and tired of looking for a laptop. Tablet PCs were over my price range, lenovo and dell were quoting really long shipping times, and asus had battery issues so I didn't care anymore...I just wanted a laptop to replace the one my dad took to Asia on his business trip that got extended 2 months more than expected.
-They kept trying to convince me into buying the Asus R1F but I kept telling them it has battery problems and the battery starts wearing within a month of buying the laptop and that RMAing it just solves the problem for another month.
-Frustrated they gave up and tried to sell me other laptops like the Lenovo X40 (extremely old model) or Asus W3J etc. They let me take my time and try out different laptops to see how the keyboard, heat etc was, and generally weren't trying to rush me.
-Pricewise, their pricing for the Lenovo T61 I bought was almost the same as the visa perks pricing for the same model at the lenovo website. I think it was $100 more.
-Returnwise, there was a customer that came with me and needed to get some repairs done on his lenovo t61 under warranty and pacific notebooks offered to return it to lenovo for him and get it serviced. HOWEVER my friend had a similar issue (it was a hdd failure issue) where the hdd had bad clusters. Instead of actually returning it to the laptop manufacturer for a proper RMA, Pacific notebooks just reinstalled windows to MASK the problem! When my friend got his laptop back, he had the same hdd with the same amount of bad clusters! lol.

Bottom line (if you're too lazy to read it all):
Negatives:
-outright lying on their website. They list models not available for a price they can't confirm.
-they try all means possible to get you into their store so they can convince you to buy whatever laptop they have left
-you can't bargain with them. They might reduce the price maybe $10 but that's about it.
-they don't give you any satisfactory info over the phone thinking you're just calling around and not a serious customer (but isn't that what people do? shop around? you just don't go into a store and buy a $2000 thing without checking reviews first...do you? lol)
-they feel that warranty is the answer to any doubts you have with a particular model (i.e. if you feel the battery is gonna screw up after a month, who cares, keep replacing it every month under warranty. I'm serious they said that.)
-lie about battery life - "Your lenovo T61 can get at least 4 hours of battery life." when in fact it's 3.5hrs if I turn everything off (optical drive, audio, bluetooth, wifi) at minimum screen brightness *sigh*
-their return policy sux => 15% restocking fee and must return within 7 days.

Positives:
-they give you time to think about what you want to buy
-they let you try out laptops
-not much difference in price between the lenovo website after visa perks discount (30%) was applied (~$100 i think)
-they had the T61 in stock even though it's apparently very hard to get a hold of according to lenovo. Even notebook outlet was sold out.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2007
201 posts
Yeah it sucks..., I'd rather be purchasing computer stuff from larger places like Best Buy, but they don't carry any decent tablets. That sounds like exactly what they tried to do to me... wouldn't even give me a straight price, told me to go to their store to check things out.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
2905 posts
2 upvotes
this store that is located in pacific mall sold a defected laptop to my friend for $500... im not sure if you want to buy it because they wont tell u if the item is refurbish or not. :|
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4142 posts
481 upvotes
Scarborough
I bought 2 laptops from them before. I also brought in 2 laptops for repair and all these times, I don't have any negative things to say about them besides their sales tactics.

As for authorized seller, their store is listed under fujitsu's website.

If you plan on buying an ASUS, go to milestonePC instead.

I bought my Lenovo x61t from visaperks, it took approx 3 weeks to come.
Banned
Sep 14, 2007
16 posts
Yeah it sucks..., I'd rather be purchasing computer stuff from larger places like Best Buy, but they don't carry any decent tablets. That sounds like exactly what they tried to do to me... wouldn't even give me a straight price, told me to go to their store to check things out.
Feb 23, 2008
2 posts
GTA
I bought a Fujitsu from them some 5 years ago. Went back couple of times for misc repairs. Received very good service in all the cases.
It's not the cheapest place, but they are reliable and responsive.
Jan 4, 2008
25 posts
1 upvote
I was thinking of buying from Pacific Notebooks, but then discovered they were repeatedly lying to me and changing their story.

I got a really bad feeling about them and decided to research them. This is what I found:

http://www.torontopcstores.com/index.ph ... readid=692

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/3 ... 301322.htm

I surely would not be buying anything from these guys
Banned
Dec 6, 2004
381 posts
Toronto
whole bunch of lairs which i don't even want to get into details, DO NOT deal with them period.