None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7253 posts
719 upvotes
Toronto

Packing lunch for JK/SK kids

My son is starting JK this year. I would have to pack him lunch and looking at some suggestions as to what I can pack for him.

I presume a hot lunch is not possible as the supervisors will not be able to heat up their lunch.

Other than juice boxes, some fruit and sandwiches, Im not sure what else is good to pack.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7253 posts
719 upvotes
Toronto
Ahh...thanks
Yes, he's tues + thurs and alternate fridays (markham)

Did try to google it...but i guess i wasnt using correct key words.

Perhaps other parents can chime in and give other suggestions of what they did.
Jul 31, 2007
22 posts
Toronto
Avoid things like grapes...or anything like that size they could potentially choke on. Kids in school, don't always use the care they use at home to eat, because they are excited (to play etc etc).

Avoid anything with nuts.

It's all in presentation...if it'll look good, they will eat. (use lots of colours)
Jul 18, 2006
662 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
i always liked chocolate pudding in elementary school. mmmmmmmmm pudding
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2005
3251 posts
24 upvotes
Peterborough
Penuts and penut butter is good, joke.
Nov 24, 2005
697 posts
5 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Just remember that they may only have 15 minutes for lunch and need to be able to open all their own stuff as the teacher will have her hands full and they may not have older students doing lunch duty.

I like to make wraps as they hold up well and they tend not to get soggy.
For this age you can try cheez whiz and ham. If no peanut ban , peanut butter and banana ( mashed); nuttella; cream cheese and jam.
Make your own lunchables with meat, cheese, crackers and veggie slices with a small container of dip. Yogurt or pudding tubes.... no spoon needed.

Lock'n'lock makes smaller containers with little compartments inside to hold a variety of little things. They stay very fresh and will not open when their lunchbag gets thrown around.