• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 6:10 pm
[OP]
Jun 28, 2011
239 posts
40 upvotes
VANCOUVER

Paid anti-virus and malware programs?

I use Avast anti-virus and Malware bytes (both free versions) on my computer and so far, no problems.
Granted, I don't go to dodgy websites and I do regular scans.
Is it worth it to pay for the premium versions?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1115 posts
312 upvotes
Probably not. Set yourself up for OpenDNS account, at minimum setup to block Adware/Spyware, and it will automatically block most bad sites if you end up on them, everything else your free antivirus will cover.

I personally use Kaspersky internet security and like it + OpenDNS and a good firewall with controlled outbound. My wife likes to scour the internet for her Japanese shows, so she ends up on a bunch of sketchy sites. Before I used to just have windows defender built in and it works good for me, but wife kept getting adware and viruses, but ever since we started Kaspersky she hasn't been infected once, been on it for about 6 years now. They have a free version which is probably what I will end up using once my current sub runs out.

If nothing else, just get OpenDNS setup, it's free.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3254 posts
597 upvotes
GTA
Nah. Keep your software and operating system updated. Remove things like flash, java runtime, adobe reader, etc if you don't use them. Use an adblocker. Don't open random email attachments.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2011
239 posts
40 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at OpenDNS and it's quite interesting. Hope it's not too complicated to set up.

Edit to add:
I set up an OpenDNS account and it was pretty straight forward and set my filters and I'm set.
Thanks @eblend for this suggestion. :-)
Feb 4, 2018
47 posts
14 upvotes
OpenDNS not a bad idea.

Malwarebytes probably the best thing to run. Sad how they had to raise prices though.

Second IMO would probably be the paid version of Bitdefender Antivirus (not the whole Total Security suite).

I hate Total Security Suites. 90% of the time they just end up getting in your Effin' way.

Even BitDefender Anti Virus can be annoying sometimes.

I personally like MalwareBytes and SpyShelter Firewall (SpyShelter will tell me EXACTLY what is trying to get access to my PC). Hands Off and Little Snitch do the exact same thing on a Mac.

And I have pfSense with pfBlocker, and a ton of annoying things blocked at that level.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4446 posts
538 upvotes
NORTH YORK
travelandshoppingwoman77 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:25 pm
I use Avast anti-virus and Malware bytes (both free versions) on my computer and so far, no problems.
Granted, I don't go to dodgy websites and I do regular scans.
My suggestion is NO. Do not use Windows for the regular things (browsing, email, Office suite). Use Linuxmint or Ubuntu. The UGI is very user friendly. Going over to fishy web site is not problem too.
I only use Windows for some exclusive program that I cannot run it in Linux
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2858 posts
535 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Just as options... if like OpenDNS great else there is also Norton SafeConnect.

Also, suggest to use standard account for day to day use not administrator.
Jan 3, 2013
48 posts
21 upvotes
BURNABY
travelandshoppingwoman77 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:25 pm
No that is old thinking from the past. Check out the bar graph top right on page 330 from the link below. 2015 Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security.
“...no one can hack my mind”: Comparing Expert and Non-Expert Security Practices
https://www.usenix.org/system/files/con ... er-ion.pdf
Jan 3, 2013
48 posts
21 upvotes
BURNABY
danieltoronto wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:42 pm
My suggestion is NO. Do not use Windows for the regular things (browsing, email, Office suite). Use Linuxmint or Ubuntu. The UGI is very user friendly. Going over to fishy web site is not problem too.
I only use Windows for some exclusive program that I cannot run it in Linux
That beats using any antivirus running on Windows Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4446 posts
538 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Brian79 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 11:13 am
That beats using any antivirus running on Windows Smiling Face With Open Mouth
i can hardly comprehend why people would be intimidated by using Linuxmint or Ubuntu

This is one of my desktop

Its operation is very close that of Windows. After clicking on the icons ( say of Chrome, Office......), the operation is just like using Windows with zero virus/malwares
What is the greatest is that it is free
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1927 posts
237 upvotes
In another world
danieltoronto wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 12:57 pm
i can hardly comprehend why people would be intimidated by using Linuxmint or Ubuntu

This is one of my desktop

Its operation is very close that of Windows. After clicking on the icons ( say of Chrome, Office......), the operation is just like using Windows with zero virus/malwares
What is the greatest is that it is free
I think is more of a matter of comfort. Many people are used to use a Windows OS environment at home and at work rather than a Linux like OS, which could be more intimidating.
I bet if there's a Linux OS with a Microsoft Windows look alike shell running in the foreground, tricking people they're running MS Windows, there won't be any problem.
Jan 3, 2013
48 posts
21 upvotes
BURNABY
gontori wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 1:14 pm
I bet if there's a Linux OS with a Microsoft Windows look alike shell running in the foreground, tricking people they're running MS Windows, there won't be any problem.
I don't want to go to off topic but there are many. I always suggest Mint for anyone coming from Windows as I don't like the Ubuntu Unity desktop. Of course if you know what you are doing you can install a different desktop for Ubuntu in under five minutes. I like KDE desktop myself.

I started with Ubuntu back in 2007 when Linux wasn't so easy to use as today. I went Ubuntu>Mint>LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edtion)>SolydK.

My next move will be to Arch Linux as you basically custom build your OS from the ground up with just what you want and nothing you don't want.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17656 posts
5697 upvotes
Ottawa
I pay for Kaspersky.
Considering most malware and viruses are created by the Russians, I might as well join them.LOL
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1927 posts
237 upvotes
In another world
Brian79 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 1:47 pm
I don't want to go to off topic but there are many. I always suggest Mint for anyone coming from Windows as I don't like the Ubuntu Unity desktop. Of course if you know what you are doing you can install a different desktop for Ubuntu in under five minutes. I like KDE desktop myself.

I started with Ubuntu back in 2007 when Linux wasn't so easy to use as today. I went Ubuntu>Mint>LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edtion)>SolydK.

My next move will be to Arch Linux as you basically custom build your OS from the ground up with just what you want and nothing you don't want.
I remember installing Red Hat Fedora around 1996 and it was a PITA.
I haven't tried any Linux OS lately, so I don't know how easy or functional would be for me.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4446 posts
538 upvotes
NORTH YORK
gontori wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 1:56 pm
I remember installing Red Hat Fedora around 1996 and it was a PITA.
I haven't tried any Linux OS lately, so I don't know how easy or functional would be for me.
If you attempted to install Red Hat, I can almost guarantee you will have zero problem with Linux Mint nowadays
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan