Shopping Discussion

Paid for one, got two Synology RackStation in the mail

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 8:56 pm
[OP]
May 11, 2011
9 posts

Paid for one, got two Synology RackStation in the mail

So this is what happened: bought one Synology RackStation RS815+ from Dell, next thing I know, the delivery guy leaves me two packages. They shipped the thing twice, with two packing slips numbers. Their systems were a mess these days, on the website it still says that it will ship in January and they didn't even charged my Paypal, I still see only the authorization there, not the actual charge. I wonder how much does it take until they figure out they are missing 1200$ from their inventory. :))
14 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Where is the originating address from both packages?

Dell does not stock these. They are shipped from a third party warehouse.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
1972 posts
2479 upvotes
Laval
Dell drop ships so they will get two invoices from the supplier and will most likely bill you card in the future, this has happened to some members here on RFD
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8087 posts
2891 upvotes
Toronto
Hi this is DELL online sales, please return the other $1200 we shipped by mistake. Thank you.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
May 11, 2011
9 posts
I'll be contacting them to send one back. I'll accept 50% off for my next purchase. Or they can drown me in gift cards. :)) Just kidding.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7685 posts
1383 upvotes
mincioc wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:32 am
I'll be contacting them to send one back. I'll accept 50% off for my next purchase. Or they can drown me in gift cards. :)) Just kidding.
I wouldn't. Wait to be contacted. If not, consider it a Christmas gift. Start your own cloud service bizz
Mar 7, 2011
522 posts
220 upvotes
Winnipeg
Messerschmitt wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:05 pm
I wouldn't. Wait to be contacted. If not, consider it a Christmas gift. Start your own cloud service bizz
Agreed.

Incompetence should not be rewarded.
At best wait for them to contact you and send someone to your door to pick it up, and compensate you for your time and effort. You should not have to drop it off, take it anywhere or ANYTHING
If they cannot do that, forget them. Why should you have to spend any precious time or effort because of their mess up? They are a massive company who make what, billions if not millions? Sloppy policies, systems and or employees.
[OP]
May 11, 2011
9 posts
Dav326235 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:34 pm
Agreed.

Incompetence should not be rewarded.
At best wait for them to contact you and send someone to your door to pick it up, and compensate you for your time and effort. You should not have to drop it off, take it anywhere or ANYTHING
If they cannot do that, forget them. Why should you have to spend any precious time or effort because of their mess up? They are a massive company who make what, billions if not millions? Sloppy policies, systems and or employees.
I chatted with them this morning. They didn't even invoiced me so they couldn't receive any returns but will call me after it's all sorted out. Didn't seem to care much...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7685 posts
1383 upvotes
mincioc wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:45 pm
I chatted with them this morning. They didn't even invoiced me so they couldn't receive any returns but will call me after it's all sorted out. Didn't seem to care much...
Or you could've gifted it to me... just saying
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10751 posts
1754 upvotes
Ottawa
I would have let them take the first step. I wouldn't expend any effort trying to sort out their own mistake. If they did contact me, I would have requested a pick up at my convenience.

Once I effectively got a free monitor because their system only let me enter my ecredit but didn't ask me for payment information while checking out. I told them about it during an online chat minutes after and he said the order didn't go through so I let it go. So the monitor shipped to me without any payment information.
Last edited by warpdrive on Dec 7th, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1432 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Happens all the time - had vendor send me extra 22 core CPUs.... or an extra quadro or super high density server DDR4 RAM.
Honesty is always the best policy.
Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1
Nov 11, 2003
380 posts
79 upvotes
Happened to me two weeks ago. Received two packages from Dell, duplicate item. I just emailed them, they sent me a purolator shipping labeled and returned the tablet.

Apparently, you are not obligated to return the item or notify them about the error but I rather just return it and not have to deal with any future problems.
Jul 31, 2015
229 posts
72 upvotes
AB
Messerschmitt wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:05 pm
Agreed

dell has done this twice to me, once in 2011 with a dell xps 13, and two years ago with a wd 3tb hd.

Both times I called in, and dell told me to hold on to it, if they asked for it back. Otherwise keep it and enjoy.