None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
39 upvotes

pain in the fingers, not muscle

Hi there,

my friend just had a baby and so far during the postpartum, she is experiencing pain in her fingers. it isn't the muscle parts that are hurting, it's what she say her bones.

Has anyone heard of this before?
4 replies
Oct 17, 2004
345 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond
yup..i have the same problem

but it started near the end of my pregnancy...the doctors say its carpal tunnel syndrome bought up by the increased water in my body. actually I had really serious swelling near the end of my pregnancy as well as postpartum and doctors say fluid retention was putting pressure on my nerves near my wrist..making my fingers feel painful, numb and weak

i'm 6 months post-partum and i still feel the pain sometimes...doctors say it takes time to heal...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
39 upvotes
kaimui22 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2007 1:04 pm
yup..i have the same problem

but it started near the end of my pregnancy...the doctors say its carpal tunnel syndrome bought up by the increased water in my body. actually I had really serious swelling near the end of my pregnancy as well as postpartum and doctors say fluid retention was putting pressure on my nerves near my wrist..making my fingers feel painful, numb and weak

i'm 6 months post-partum and i still feel the pain sometimes...doctors say it takes time to heal...
wow, has the doctor done anything or have you done anything to aid in the recovery or is it just a time thing?
Nov 25, 2005
113 posts
2 upvotes
Have you tried splints? Although, I know that this would be hard to work with, having a little baby and all. Perhaps physio, or chiropractic or acupuncture could give abit of relief. Just some thoughts.
Surgery would be too drastic, as it seems that this is something that is likely temporary. Take care, and try to rest when you can. :o
Oct 17, 2004
345 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond
the doctor said it's a wait-it-out thing...

it's gotten a lot better in the past couple months..it used to be every time i went to bed, i would wake up from numb/pain in my fingers..

now it's just *sometimes* and it's not as painful as before..it's more numbing than painful now and i've gotten a bit stronger than before (it used to be so weak, i would have problems holding a pencil in my hand)

my doctor had said if it feels THAT bad i could get a splint but then it would be pretty inconvenient..esp. when holding the baby..so i decided to let it heal naturally