Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1023 posts
7 upvotes

Paint choice....

I'm looking to paint my condo and I was wondering that your experiences with the following paint brands were:

1) Behr (@ HD)
2) Premier (@ CT)
3) CIL (@ HD and CT)

Premier is the cheapest by a couple of bucks cheaper than Behr. With CIL being the most expensive.

In general, which paint brand would you recommend?
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5770 posts
190 upvotes
GTA
circa76 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 2:42 pm
I'm looking to paint my condo and I was wondering that your experiences with the following paint brands were:

1) Behr (@ HD)
2) Premier (@ CT)
3) CIL (@ HD and CT)

Premier is the cheapest by a couple of bucks cheaper than Behr. With CIL being the most expensive.

I only use Benjamin Moore, for its brand and its reputation of being one of the premier paints on the market. For the extra couple of bucks for a gallon of paint, it's worth it for me!!!

sk
Deal Fanatic
Oct 10, 2006
7741 posts
80 upvotes
Georgetown
ITA with sunnybono, Benjamin Moore is the best on the market...nothing compares to it!

A close second is Behr.

Another hint would be to have your primer tinted no matter what colour you choose to paint in....saves a lot of work!!!
See this button :confused: :confused: Learn how to use it PLEASE ;)
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1261 posts
5 upvotes
Rona carries Sico.

We used the Sico Cashmere line and did our entire house. Wasn't too bad.

But I do agree Benjamin Moore if $ isn't a problem.
FS Items:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1023 posts
7 upvotes
I'd like to keep this fairly economical if possible.

I know that Benjamin Moore is very good, but I've also heard that it costs in the area of $60/can, whereas Premier can be had for about $27/can (flat).

More and more I'm leaning towards behr, but I've never used them before either.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6243 posts
92 upvotes
I have used behr and was not too impressed when the time came to wash the walls... it simply rubs off like super cheap paint. I would not buy behr again.
Sep 7, 2005
49 posts
I too was skeptical paying more for Benjamin Moore but after you paint with it you will see that it is the best.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
circa76 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 2:42 pm

1) Behr (@ HD)
2) Premier (@ CT)
3) CIL (@ HD and CT)

Do what we did, we got quotes to get our place painted and all 3 guys recommended General Paint. Of course they probably get it cheaper, but from what we've experience it is good paint, especially when it comes to cleaning the surfaces afterwards. Our painter who has been painting for almost 30 years almost exclusively uses General Paint, and the cost isn't much more. One part of our house, the wife insisted on going what the designer had spec'd, it was Sherman Williams, and although it looks good, the clean up of it is horrible, that paint WILL wear off in a couple years. The General Paint stuff is solid.

Get some free quotes from the pros and see what they recommend. None of the guys we spoke to, either painters or designers recommended anything from the home improvement places, they all said it was marginal quality paint and over priced, Behr is good, but also harder to apply.

Go to a paint place, where the contractors go and ask them, they can match any color and probably give you better stuff than Home Depot or CT.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1023 posts
7 upvotes
rc51 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 5:32 pm
Do what we did, we got quotes to get our place painted and all 3 guys recommended General Paint. Of course they probably get it cheaper, but from what we've experience it is good paint, especially when it comes to cleaning the surfaces afterwards. Our painter who has been painting for almost 30 years almost exclusively uses General Paint, and the cost isn't much more. One part of our house, the wife insisted on going what the designer had spec'd, it was Sherman Williams, and although it looks good, the clean up of it is horrible, that paint WILL wear off in a couple years. The General Paint stuff is solid.

Get some free quotes from the pros and see what they recommend. None of the guys we spoke to, either painters or designers recommended anything from the home improvement places, they all said it was marginal quality paint and over priced, Behr is good, but also harder to apply.

Go to a paint place, where the contractors go and ask them, they can match any color and probably give you better stuff than Home Depot or CT.
General Paint? never heard of the brand.. whereabouts can I get something like that?! damn, don't know any paint stores other than the big box stores and benjamin moore.
Jan 8, 2006
180 posts
1 upvote
The painters I talk to all say Glidden is the cat's meow.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
Part time painter,,,,, I used BM but they have become to pricey,,,, I use PARA now and it is as good or better then BM,,,, a friend works there and they have done all kinds of tests with there paint against BM and its same or better,, and cheaper!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1023 posts
7 upvotes
fireguy9 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 7:33 pm
Part time painter,,,,, I used BM but they have become to pricey,,,, I use PARA now and it is as good or better then BM,,,, a friend works there and they have done all kinds of tests with there paint against BM and its same or better,, and cheaper!!!
have you ever used Behr or CIL or Premier?

PARA, where do you get PARA?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5770 posts
190 upvotes
GTA
circa76 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2006 8:20 pm
have you ever used Behr or CIL or Premier?

PARA, where do you get PARA?
When buying paint wether its BM or Para, I like to go to those shops that have high inventory turnover so that I know that the paint hasn't been sitting on the shelf too long. Thus I go to Steeles Paint located at 4400 Steeles Ave, just east of Pinevalley Dr. on the north side. A lot of contractors buy their paint from there and they have a huge selection!!!!

sk