• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2019 1:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2006
14376 posts
228 upvotes

Paint Screw Up - How Can I Fix?

I painted my room in May. There were some areas that I did not paint that well, so I wanted to do some touch ups on it.

I went back to Benjamin Moore in August and repurchased the same custom colour (it was not an off the rack BM colour), stupid me, I thought the colours would be the exact same, so I started painting right away. But now I have 2 different shades on my wall.

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix it? I really don't want to repaint my room.

Do you think I can bring the paint back to the store and ask them to mix it again?
Images
  • IMG-9559.JPG
2013 Contest Win Wishlist
  • Leafs Tickets / iPad / E-Reader / 46" HDTV / PS3 Gaming System / Cash / Guitar / Keurig
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9135 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
paint the entire wall, can't do much
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1890 posts
874 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Fix that screw pop

Did you get the same sheen of paint? Same brand of BM paint?.. Once it dries it might match a bit better
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3597 posts
925 upvotes
Ottawa
They should be an exact match. At least one of the cans is not tinted correctly. Does either match the original swatch.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2006
14376 posts
228 upvotes
I only bought a pint, 'cause it was just gonna be for touch ups. If i have to paint the whole wall again, i'm gonna need a gallon $$$$

It should have been the same, I bought it from the same store and told them I needed more.

How do I fix that screw pop?
  • Leafs Tickets / iPad / E-Reader / 46" HDTV / PS3 Gaming System / Cash / Guitar / Keurig
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3111 posts
808 upvotes
Edmonton
JayTee1 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 8:30 pm
Seriously? Install more screws, once your sure the drywall is properly secured, cut a bit out of the place where it popped and then use a drywall knife (6"?) And put on some mud. If it's very bad you can put it in coats, joint compound and then topping after. Once it's all level then quick sand if needed and paint.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
May 28, 2007
327 posts
87 upvotes
Peterborough
Lots if paints needs time to cure and reach final shade. Dark paints can take a month or 2
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4355 posts
266 upvotes
Peterborough
Hang something on the wall to mask it
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18794 posts
2146 upvotes
Niagara Falls
It's already been alluded to, but have you given the paint time to dry to see if the colour will match?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2990 posts
380 upvotes
Waterloo
JayTee1 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 8:30 pm
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 8:52 pm
Seriously? Install more screws, once your sure the drywall is properly secured, cut a bit out of the place where it popped and then use a drywall knife (6"?) And put on some mud. If it's very bad you can put it in coats, joint compound and then topping after. Once it's all level then quick sand if needed and paint.
Cut out that circle with an xacto knife. you dont have to cut out thru the drywall. just enough deep so that paper circle is not sticking out ( if its indeed a paper circle and not a plastic grommet )

use a putty knife and putty to fill in . and wait for it to dry.
sand it a little to get rid of loose stuff and dab it with paint. or primer of you got some.

sand off all the new paint you put on without ripping into paper.

When you're applying paint make sure you're using a roller not a paint brush.

again, is it the same "sheen"? wall paint looks a lot more flatter. did you buy other paint at the same time too ?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2006
14376 posts
228 upvotes
I took that picture 24 hours after I painted it, but it's been 48hours+ now and it still looks the same.

I guess my next step is to take the paint back to the store to see if there is anything they can do about the colour difference.

But damn their 9-5 hours
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2872 posts
1663 upvotes
GTA
JayTee1 wrote: I took that picture 24 hours after I painted it, but it's been 48hours+ now and it still looks the same.

I guess my next step is to take the paint back to the store to see if there is anything they can do about the colour difference.

But damn their 9-5 hours
There is no way they will be able to match this. Even when you purchase multiple cans at the same time, it's recommend to mix them together, to avoid different shades.
Nov 30, 2011
953 posts
355 upvotes
GTA
If you don't want to paint the whole wall (what I would do) then find a nice mirror to put there to cover it up. Actually, a mirror that size will cost around $69 at Winners/Home Sense which is about the same price as a gallon of paint from BM.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9413 posts
6711 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Although the “paint recipe / formula” for the colour might be exactly the same
It can often differ if it’s mixed in smaller sizes vs larger (Pints vs Quarts vs Gallons)
Likewise the type of base paint you use can also affect the colour
Or more precisely it’s light reflective qualities
So you cannot expect the same result if you bought Benjamin Moore “Ben” vs “Regal Select”
Even if they both were Eggshell finishes
And likewise Ben Eggshell would perhaps show the same colour differently than Ben Flat

My best advice ...

Fix the nail pop
Then repaint the entire wall
If the rest of the room is the same colour from the original paint job
Tape off all the perimeter of the wall to be newly painted
Including the corners, so there is no plaint bleed
When you are done any difference won’t show so much as it will pass for a difference in light / shadow
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6710 posts
3870 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Curioprop wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 9:18 pm
Lots if paints needs time to cure and reach final shade. Dark paints can take a month or 2
No way is that ever going to match. Something is very wrong here assuming OP took the pic after the paint had dried.