• Apr 19th, 2011 10:38 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
2616 posts
46 upvotes

Painting Front Door..brush or roller?

it's an old wood door (no, not great quality antique door :) ) that i sanded & primed. I will be painting it a gloss black and was wondering, do i use a brush or roller for the best finish?
7 replies
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Brush, especially if it has panels, etc.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
946 upvotes
Mississauga
Depending on whether it is embossed you may not be able to get into ever nook and cranny so a brush may have to be used. There is no reason why you can't use a roller as long as it's high quality as well as the proper roller. Some want to use a brush in order to change the brush stroke pattern to give it a special effect.

Edit:

I noticed that CSK and I differ, which is fine, I've done both and don't want to see the brush strokes so I guess it's personal preference. To each there own therefore there is no wrong way to do it. I guess it also depends on how well you can paint.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1192 posts
68 upvotes
Lay the door flat across a couple of saw horses and apply multiple thinned layers of paint with a brush. Thinning the paint will help it spread better and eliminate the brush strokes as well as allow the coat to dry faster.
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
2616 posts
46 upvotes
thanks...fyi i'm seriously DIY challenged my son wants to submit me to Worst Handyman. ;) It's flat, no panels or embellishments, with 2 small windows (that i taped off). I want it to look smooth & glossy. I'm just concerned I'll leave nasty brush strokes.. btw, what would be considered a "high quality" roller?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5823 posts
499 upvotes
London
Spraying would give you the best finish, but if it is primarily flat I would use a roller. Brush only where you need to and smooth over the edge. Of the brush strokes with the roller ( ie overlap). Just like in a house you use the brush to do the edges/corners/around windows, abd do roller for the majority of the surfaces, same thing outside.
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Read the can of paint, there are usually recommendations. I know when I did my bathroom vanity and baseboards high gloss black the can specifically said no rollers, only brush as it was a self leveling paint. Be aware that high gloss paints show absolutely every imperfection in what will be the door in this case. Every nic, dent, etc....
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
2616 posts
46 upvotes
good point...i did notice it showed a brush & a sprayer as options. But i didn't think using a roller would be a problem. What is self leveling paint? I tried to sand out as many nics as i could, I know it won't look perfect, but an improvement over that ratty old door! :lol: this is my first painting project, figure I'd start small before tackling a room.
× < >