• Apr 23rd, 2017 12:02 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
1854 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto

Painting interior - paint sprayer

Hello, I'm looking for any advice from people that have used paint sprayer for interior walls.

I am doing the entire interior including ceiling so figure it would be quicker with a sprayer.

In particular, looking at the Wagner Flexio 570/590 line. Anybody have any first hand experience with these, or have another to recommend in similar price range?

I've Googled all that I can so would really appreciate any additional tips from those that have tried it!

Thanks!
6 replies
Mar 19, 2013
526 posts
134 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
The only time I would consider a sprayer for interior is if it a new build. No flooring, furnishings. If it is a existing house with all the stuff, overspray may cause you a headache.
Oct 16, 2014
187 posts
12 upvotes
North York, ON
There is less effort in using a brush and roller, than the taping and cleanup involved when using a sprayer indoors. You have to tape ABSOLUTELY every single little thing. I learned this the hard way LOL

I have a really nice Wagner ProCoat piston pump airless sprayer. They're not exaggerating when they call the sprayer nozzle "atomizer."
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1502 posts
486 upvotes
KINGSTON
I painted a smokers house, (walls, ceilings) with that exact sprayer. Had to apply Kilz Max first, then top coat.
The house was empty, so masking and tarping everything I didn't want overspray on was relatively easy.
The sprayer worked quite well, even on the ceiling on the flat surfaces, with the exception of the grooves in the fibre tiles. I had to hit those with brush and deep nap roller.
The paint I used was medium to heavy bodied, and the sprayer handled it OK.
Wear a mask, and I'd suggest taping a coarse pre-fillter over the intake ports on the sprayer. They have filters, but they are a PITA To remove and clean.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9008 posts
1023 upvotes
Toronto
I would spend the extra money and get a Graco Airless sprayer. For some reason, they're not really available in Canada. With the US fx rate, it'll definitely be more, but IMO worth it. I'm looking at the Wagner and sounds like it's struggling. And reading the reviews, they clump alot. Basically it doesn't handle even basic latex paint well.

The Graco one is a beast. Just used regular latex (outdoor) paint and it sprayed no problem. I just got the cheaper one (true coat) with the cord. But all in, it'll probably cost you $200-250 for a basic one.

Here's a vid of it. Now for some reason, it looks like the paint is fake. Maybe it is. But real life, it is like that. I used it to paint my double ear garage door. Weeks and weeks of prep, literally, 5 minutes of spray. Clean and set up is easier, although it is a bit confusing at first on when to put it into reverse mode, prime, etc.,
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4279 posts
714 upvotes
Kitchener
I have the Wagner Flexio 590 and I would never want to paint a whole house with it. It more or less "spits" paint instead of spraying it and leaves a bumpy surface. I use it mainly for pita 6 panel doors and baseboards then go over with a brush before paint dries. Those online Wagner videos are a load of crap and you'll need a dustmask.
Apr 10, 2017
177 posts
55 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 11:09 pm
I would spend the extra money and get a Graco Airless sprayer. For some reason, they're not really available in Canada. With the US fx rate, it'll definitely be more, but IMO worth it. I'm looking at the Wagner and sounds like it's struggling. And reading the reviews, they clump alot. Basically it doesn't handle even basic latex paint well.

The Graco one is a beast. Just used regular latex (outdoor) paint and it sprayed no problem. I just got the cheaper one (true coat) with the cord. But all in, it'll probably cost you $200-250 for a basic one.

Here's a vid of it. Now for some reason, it looks like the paint is fake. Maybe it is. But real life, it is like that. I used it to paint my double ear garage door. Weeks and weeks of prep, literally, 5 minutes of spray. Clean and set up is easier, although it is a bit confusing at first on when to put it into reverse mode, prime, etc.,
I have 2000sq ft of home to paint and I'm thinking of buying a sprayer now for the ease of job. It'll probably be useful one day.

So what's the best choice around the $200-300 price range? This one looks promising but like you said not available locally.