Tags:
None
Dec 17, 2003
265 posts
17 upvotes
Scarborough

Painting over ceramic tiles and bathtub

Hey all

I have ceramic wall tiles and bathtub that are pretty good shape except the colours are horribly outdated. Does anyone have any experience with painting over these?

This is probably a job best left for the professionals. Any recommendations? What cost can I expect?

thanks
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
magnum wrote: Hey all

I have ceramic wall tiles and bathtub that are pretty good shape except the colours are horribly outdated. Does anyone have any experience with painting over these?

This is probably a job best left for the professionals. Any recommendations? What cost can I expect?

thanks
A few years ago, I painted over some old green tiles by applying 2 coats of Zinser primer first then the paint!!!! Just make sure that you bathroom is well ventilated when applying the zinser primer!!!!

sk
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
11 upvotes
KELOWNA
Do your research on this because it's regarded as a temporary measure for good reason. Bathtubs in particular generally end up looking awful pretty quickly as the finish either peels or loses it's shine. Some places will warranty for 5 yrs but I think you pay between $500 - $1000 for that sort of finish. You can replace with a new tub for that, or the less messy venture is a cover like Bath Fitter which costs about $1000 for the tub and $1500 for the walls. The less expensive options don't usually stand up past 2 years before you have to replace or refinish again. Tiles can work out a bit better but if you don't do them right (use the Zinsser it's great stuff) they will also peel.

A better alternative if your tiles and tub are in good shape is to paint the walls and arrange your decor to make it look like you bought those fittings on purpose and save to replace or cover properly. Besides some of the old colours (like aqua) are supposed to be coming back. What colour do you have?
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
Hey...here is an idea, instead of trying to paint over tiles, how about just removing them and put something you like in it's place? That way you know it's done right and feels good?

Reminds me of one of those home shows, where someone painted the bath tub :confused:
Nov 24, 2004
976 posts
90 upvotes
My dad decided to paint the jacuzzi tub in their ensuite washroom. It was a horrible robbins egg blue that I have trouble believing wasn't completely tacky even in the early 80's.

He got a specialty kit from the local Rona outlet. It has a special surface prep to use before the included paint goes on.

The key was prep work. You had to wash the tub down a half dozen times with vinegar before you could even think about applying the prep stage.

A few years later it's still lookin mostly ok. He cheaped out and didn't buy a 3rd kit. There is a slight hint of blue to the white paint from the original colour below.

CM
Dec 17, 2003
265 posts
17 upvotes
Scarborough
Dustbunny wrote: Do your research on this because it's regarded as a temporary measure for good reason. Bathtubs in particular generally end up looking awful pretty quickly as the finish either peels or loses it's shine. Some places will warranty for 5 yrs but I think you pay between $500 - $1000 for that sort of finish. You can replace with a new tub for that, or the less messy venture is a cover like Bath Fitter which costs about $1000 for the tub and $1500 for the walls. The less expensive options don't usually stand up past 2 years before you have to replace or refinish again. Tiles can work out a bit better but if you don't do them right (use the Zinsser it's great stuff) they will also peel.

A better alternative if your tiles and tub are in good shape is to paint the walls and arrange your decor to make it look like you bought those fittings on purpose and save to replace or cover properly. Besides some of the old colours (like aqua) are supposed to be coming back. What colour do you have?

Thanks for the great advice. Actually aqua wouldnt be so bad. I kinda like the retro look. Mine's pink though.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6818 posts
567 upvotes
Do yourself a favour and don't paint tile/tub, because its going to look like it was painted.

Like the glaswegian said above, if you want to change it, rip it out and do it properly.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
11 upvotes
KELOWNA
magnum wrote: Mine's pink though.
Is it pink like 1950's pink? That is one of those colours that they say is coming back and if you thought of going retro it could be really neat. Maybe if you did an image search for pink bathrooms you could find something that inspires you to keep it. Sure would be less work.

I can tell you that in this house the first thing I did when I purchased last year was yank out the tub and tiles. They were pink, painted white (2 years earlier) and they were a horrible mess from peeling and did look like a hack job.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)