• Jun 15th, 2018 7:26 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1195 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto

Painting over my brick house

Help. So I hate the color of brick my house is it’s super ugly almost blackish red very odd coloured brick and I’ve decided I want to paint the entire thing in a nice navy blue and bright white for all the trim. Nautical theme. Problem is none of the other homes in the neighbourhood look like this, it’s not a cookie cutter neighbourhood all the homes are older and different just none necessarily this color, I obviously think it will look nice when finished but do you guys think the neighbors would not like it? I mean it’s not lime green, navy is a safe color scheme right? ? Guys I need your opinions please and while you’re at it could you tell me the best quality paint i should use for this? Thanks
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5296 posts
1097 upvotes
Whitby
Don't do it, painted brick looks odd (mortar/brick same colour) imo and you will have exterior paint to maintain. Brick isn't waterproof, google paint failures on brick wall etc....you are attempting to change building envelopes design, needs to be done properly depending if its single layer veneer, double layer, structural brick layer on older home.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4833 posts
2218 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
As the previous poster said, get it stained. We're having our brick stained by Spray-Net next month. It isn't a hideous colour currently, but just not the best with the rest of our new siding (only one section of the front of the house is brick).
Banned
Jun 11, 2018
5 posts
9 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 6:43 am
Painting brick is 100% terrible idea. Bricks need to breathe. You will have created the biggest headache for yourself.

http://www.masonryofdenver.com/2014/08/ ... int-brick/
I'm pretty sure hes not going to use regular interior wall paint lol...there are products made for bricks and im going to assume 99% of people who paint bricks are smart enough to know what product to use.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
8820 posts
2851 upvotes
Toronto
lol, a house in my area sold, and before selling, the homeowners painted it from red brick to a shit brown. The current homeowners just finished repainting it grey. Looks way out of place.

Regardless of the colour, looks terrible IMO. I'd rather natural brick over painted brick.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4833 posts
2218 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
koffey wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:01 am
lol, a house in my area sold, and before selling, the homeowners painted it from red brick to a shit brown. The current homeowners just finished repainting it grey. Looks way out of place.

Regardless of the colour, looks terrible IMO. I'd rather natural brick over painted brick.
I'm not really stuck on the colour of most natural brick I've seen. I think it can look great stained.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5213 posts
1054 upvotes
Markham
I think no matter what you choose, if you choose paint/stain, you now have regular periodic maintenance to do.

Perhaps create accents so you don't see the brick as much is a better idea. Paint doors, trim, garage doors, landscaping features, etc,
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
8820 posts
2851 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 11:47 am
I'm not really stuck on the colour of most natural brick I've seen. I think it can look great stained.
The colour of my brick is the reason why I purchased my home. Again, to each their own and depends on the brick. It's no different than opinions on flooring, etc...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
5442 posts
3628 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
koffey wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 12:40 pm
The colour of my brick is the reason why I purchased my home. Again, to each their own and depends on the brick. It's no different than opinions on flooring, etc...
This thread is based on “Hey I saw them paint some exterior brick on HGTV, it would make a fun DIY project”.

In the case where the new owners repainted the brick, now there’s at least two layers of paint to peel off and staining no longer an option.

The idea of permeable paint that works with exterior brick is as much snake oil as waterproof your interior wet bsmt walls with this paint *** guaranteed to work. Lol...But there’s always some sucker that falls for it.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4057 posts
677 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Are you sure it's the actual colour of the brick, and not just dirty? Maybe powerwash (gentle) first? Make sure to do brick repair first so that water doesn't go in through cracks.
Last edited by enwhyRFD on Jun 14th, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6169 posts
3350 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm stuck on trying to figure out what the "natural" color of a man-made product is... It's like saying "I bought my house because I like the naturally colored laminate floors"

C