Home & Garden

Palliser Leather Sofa Quality? Furniture Depot Service?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2021 1:38 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 28, 2010
28 posts
3 upvotes

Palliser Leather Sofa Quality? Furniture Depot Service?

Good evening and happy new years to everyone!

We found a leather sofa and loveseat from Palliser that we really like. The leather was "Tulsa II". Retailer #1 quoted around 1650-1700 for the couch, while Furniture Depot (http://www.furnituredepot.ca/) quoted us $1350 or so. Does anyone have any first hand experience with Palliser leather furniture (not recliners), and/or Furniture Depot?

Thanks in advance for the help.
37 replies
Feb 19, 2004
245 posts
24 upvotes
burlington on
Pallister is made in China.

Got a Pallister chaise from Sears when it was 35% off.
Leather is really soft. Nice.
Dec 28, 2010
28 posts
3 upvotes
tsefly wrote: Pallister is made in China.

Dang really? They told me it was made in Canada, with some models made in Mexico. Bleh.. don't really want Chinese made furniture. Thanks for the heads up!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
RMajury wrote: Dang really? They told me it was made in Canada, with some models made in Mexico. Bleh.. don't really want Chinese made furniture. Thanks for the heads up!
I own a set and it was made in Winnipeg Canada.
Feb 19, 2004
245 posts
24 upvotes
burlington on
Had Sears provide a different color than the standard offering to match my Natuzzi furniture.
The base was made in China. The leather is done here in Canada. Guess it depends on the model
Dec 28, 2010
28 posts
3 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: I own a set and it was made in Winnipeg Canada.
How's the set been for you? How long, and has it held form and structure?
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Never bought that brand but I know Ashley furniture is amazing and great quality
Idle hands are the devils playthings
Dec 23, 2007
976 posts
450 upvotes
Winnipeg
I live in Winnipeg, MB and bought directly from palliser which was made here in there factory.
Leather and quality of the sofa and chair I bought are next to none. You would think its brand new even tho its 5 years old now. I remember they were very knowledgeable about the leather they use and explained any questions you could think of. Everything is made here from what I remember. Altho I think they have businesses all over north american and mexico

The main factor I bought from them is my parents have palliser couch and chairs when we were young and forsure they took a beating and a half... (big family with pets) needless to say they still have them tell this day with no rips at all in the leather (just a little color fading on the arm rest) not bad tho for 20 years +

Just some food for thought aswell: Ive helped a lot of people move over the years and my sofa is by far way heavier then anything else lol.. to me this is a sign its built to last.
Also bought my whole bedroom suite from them. Very high quality and everything is solid wood (no mdf wood and no veneers)
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
RMajury wrote: How's the set been for you? How long, and has it held form and structure?
I have only had this new set for a year or so, everything seems great way better quality than the last set I had.

My parents had theirs for many years and only recently got a new set as they redecorated. If it helps settle your mind a little you see this brand at a few higher end stores.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
tsefly wrote: Pallister is made in China.

Pallister may be from China but, Palliser is not.

"Today, Palliser Furniture Upholstery Ltd. is a leading North American furniture company with local manufacturing facilities in Canada and Mexico."
http://www.palliser.com/furniture/AboutUs/

Unless you can prove otherwise.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Haven't bought a leather couch in a while, but I don't think you can get a truly excellent quality one (solid wood/all leather) for under $2000, maybe even under $2500. Jaymar makes really good ones and they are manufactured in Quebec. Mine is over fifteen years old and still looks like new.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
JAC wrote: Would an essay suffice?
http://brainmass.com/business/NAFTA/75506
Thanks. While it is a lengthy paper, it indicates that Palliser did some leather cutting and sewing in China but, no factories (manufacturing facilities).
Mind you, that paper is over 10 years old.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
I had a recent experience with Palliser. This was a sofa purchase after months of looking around and then researching the sofa we liked (from Palliser).

First thing first: NO IT ISN'T ASSEMBLED IN CHINA, the manufacturer tag on our sofa said Made in Canada. Some of their materials might come from China, but that's pretty much the case for EVERYTHING.
I made two different phone calls to Palliser (directly) to ask questions about their sofas and construction, because my wife read a lot of articles on buying leather sofas and wanted to know the details.
I landed on a different person on both phone calls. Both representatives knew a lot about the products and how it worked, it's as if they were part time working on the assembly line themselves.
I was very VERY much satisfied with their answers. They justified very well their methods of building sofas and all of their sofas are built the same way. THe only difference is the leather/fabric, which is actually a very wide choice per order, but the reseller might limit it to only a few choices in order to accelerate deliveries, or make a flat price.

For OP, the sofa we bought is also Tulsa II (Lemon). It's a top grain leather, that has had a finishing treatment, meaning you won't get full grain leather that can breath, but that's the cost of choosing unnatural leather colors.

I only had their sofa for a month, but I am satisfied by its construction and feel in terms of quality. Warranty will be another issue if I need to claim it, and that will be through Sears.

Now the first price you were quoted seems a bit high, considering all their sofas are built with the same quality standard than the one we bought and that it is the same leather (Tulsa II)
We bought this sofa from Sears. We pulled the trigger when it was (still is) 1499$, but during Black Friday, it fell to 999$ so I had it price adjusted since we hadn't received the sofa yet (we got it a few days later). So, Furniture Depot's price seems more reasonable.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ancaster
Palliser sells various grades of leather. You should be fine with most of them I think.

I'd just stay away from bonded leather. It just doesn't have the lasting durability of real leather.
Jun 8, 2010
105 posts
19 upvotes
I have a Palliser reclining couch and loveseat that I purchased 8 years ago. They were custom made based on your choice of leather grade etc and I chose a mid / high spec leather. These have been the primary seating in 3 different homes and had some heavy use. They still look excellent and aside from some scuffs on the backs from walls you would never guess they are as old as they are. They are very comfortable - old roommates say they missed them when they visit and sit down lol. That said I have had to repair the frames several times in the last couple years which is no doubt due to their heavy use. The wood staples in a couple of the seat frames have pulled apart - which I ended up replacing with screws so that they cant come apart again. I would definitely buy Palliser products again.
Oct 6, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Hello, I had purchased a sofa couple of months back and it is very comfortable and I don’t have any issue in cleaning as well. I purchased this sofa from Coja by sofa4life and I got the right sofa for me and even with color as per my house interior color. Till now i didn't have any issues with my new sofa. Only matter when you don’t choose good sofa!!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2009
1170 posts
122 upvotes
Mississauga
lak8 wrote: I live in Winnipeg, MB and bought directly from palliser which was made here in there factory.
Leather and quality of the sofa and chair I bought are next to none. You would think its brand new even tho its 5 years old now. I remember they were very knowledgeable about the leather they use and explained any questions you could think of. Everything is made here from what I remember. Altho I think they have businesses all over north american and mexico

The main factor I bought from them is my parents have palliser couch and chairs when we were young and forsure they took a beating and a half... (big family with pets) needless to say they still have them tell this day with no rips at all in the leather (just a little color fading on the arm rest) not bad tho for 20 years +

Just some food for thought aswell: Ive helped a lot of people move over the years and my sofa is by far way heavier then anything else lol.. to me this is a sign its built to last.
Also bought my whole bedroom suite from them. Very high quality and everything is solid wood (no mdf wood and no veneers)
Hi can you suggest how I can buy directly from Palliser. I am in Ontario . Any suggestions ?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
I can't comment on any of the Palliser products, but as for the OP's original enquiry about the store Furniture Depot (Brampton location), I can tell you that the service has been very good. Since October 2014, I have spent over $20k in furniture from Ashley to Bermex to Sealy mattresses...

Lucky to be dealing with the owner directly (Mr. Bittu), so not much haggling as he gave me great prices right off the bat, after I told him that I did shop around. He made promises that he kept when it came to delivery and the different level of delivery service they provide was well worth it. The delivery staff where very professional and and knew exactly how to assemble all of the furniture. After they were done, they cleaned up every piece of cardboard and styrofoam and took it back with them to the shop... I was very impressed with the entire transaction....

sk

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)