Home & Garden

Palliser Leather Sofa Quality? Furniture Depot Service?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2021 1:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2010
1432 posts
353 upvotes
We bought a Palliser sectional sofa with a built-in recliner on one end and a pull out bed on the other end. And this was from Sears.
We've had it for three months so far, and the quality of the leather and workmanship is great! Granted it was a higher end sectional, but I can see that it was made in Canada! I wouldn't hesitate to buy another palliser sofa.
Apr 30, 2011
2 posts
Anyone buying a Palliser product all I can say is be patient, especially if getting leather. They make a great long lasting product, but they can't deliver anything on time. Ordered our product in late Nov with a 6-8 week delivery time. First, as a manufacturer they are closed for 2 weeks over the Christmas holidays, then leather availability is a problem, then it .... excuses. We love our leather products and they are of great quality, but really with China and other manufacturer companies breathing down Canadian companies backs you can't be doing this....
Mar 3, 2011
9 posts
saskatchewan
Has anyone had any experience with the Palliser Dax material type? It's a leather-like Grade 2 material (polyurethane/polyester mix). We're interested in it because we have dogs and this stuff is supposed to be exceptionally durable, but I can't find much info about it online. It sure looks nice, and is very comfortable.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4593 posts
19412 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Anyone having the Palliser Freemont?
http://www.sears.ca/product/palliser-fr ... 8-41032-61

is so, any opinions? I went to the store to try it out and the salesguy said that the display model is Grade 1 leather. It was smoother and not as textured as Grade 2 leather. He said if i wanted Grade 2 leather i would have to pay $200 more. How is leather graded? All the Grade 2 leather in the swatches had more texture and ridges.
Oct 28, 2017
1 posts
Purchased 2 recliners from Sears Canada. 6 months into ownership and something is wrong with of the chairs. Horrible Customer Service. Customer service is everything! Palliser, with your customer service team I am sure Cary and Lorri are super proud of how you treat your customers. Of course being CEO and Vice President, I am sure they don't hear about stories of their customers who put faith and pride into a Canadian manufacture, (in my case anyway) only to find out that if you lose your SEARS receipt even after obtaining financial details from Sears and sending in the photo of the manufacturing sticker which clearly shows 6 months since it was made, you are S.O.L.! You see Sears these days don't want to put any effort into helping customers find a copy of a sales receipt, because Sears is now in the hands of liquidators. So I will say that I will no longer buy any furniture from Palliser and will tell as many people as possible how they really don't want customers. Shame shame. We bought 2 recliners BTW, just ask Trish Wilde of Palliser Customer Service. She knows the story. I certainly wouldn't be a proud CEO or Vice President if I knew that even one of my customers were unhappy. This is what happens when you grow too big Palliser, you lose focus on your clients.
Feb 16, 2018
1 posts
JAGMAR makes crap furniture. I bought a set in Quebec and it cost me 5000 dollars it has had to be repaired twice now. It is a reclining sofa. Now it is 10 years old and again need to be repaired and although the mechanisms are free I have to pay for shipping over 400 dollars and installation by a company here before we can use our sofa. Right now the sofa does not close in any way shape or form and these parts have been replaced twice now. I will never buy this product again. We are shopping for new sofas ones that will last more than a couple of years before needing repairs. We have spent over 1000 dollars in repairs already and now will need more
Dec 7, 2018
1 posts
I knew the pAllisser furniture is Mostly
Canadian made. Manitoba
I have a beautiful set sold and bought thru
The Hudson Bay ? Canadian company)
Love the furniture
A Cadillac set!!!!
Jan 29, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
I bought two power Palliser recliners, high grade leather with battery packs in early September 2018 for close to $1900 each. After 7 weeks of waiting for my custom order, the two chairs arrived in early November. Both chairs had defects, bad seam job, scratches, etc. After sending in pictures, Palliser agreed to order two new chairs. I was happy that they did not argue and did not try to have the original chairs repaired. I finally received my two new chairs last week. Low and behold, there were issues --- small holes in one of them, and the second chair had scratches, missing some filling in one side of headrest, a small area where the colour did not take and the back of the chair did not lock into the seat making it very wobbly and loose. Second call to Palliser and this time, they sent the repair team to fix them. At this point, I've had my chairs all of one week since ordering them in early September so I can't tell you about how well it stands up to use!
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3098 posts
4574 upvotes
West GTA
FWIW, the company has transitioned its manufacturing to china/vietnam/indonesia. It's still headquartered in Winnipeg, but it's an import shop now.

https://www.palliser.com/faqs

Where are these furnishings made?
We develop our distinctive product styles with leading furniture designers in the United States and Canada, and manufacture them in Vietnam, Indonesia and China.

That doesn't mean that the furniture is BAD, Chinese-made furniture CAN be very good, but if you want to support Canadian manufacturing, and if you prefer the generally higher quality of Canadian versus Chinese made furniture, then you'd have to look elsewhere.

If you want a Canadian company that isn't crazy expensive, try EQ3 - they make about 2/3 of their stuff in Canada, including all of their upholstery:

https://www.eq3.com/ca/en/aboutus/canadian-made

EDIT: another option is to talk to the Furniture Depot guys referenced in the (five year old) OP, who have connections to local manufacturers. They can get you fairly good quality furniture made 'without the brand' at a reasonable price, done in-province. Lots of furniture shops can do that for you.
Jul 22, 2019
1 posts
Hello, we have ordered two loveseats in Dax material and it is a nightmare, the material looks like leather but we were told by a technician that it is more closer to suede type of fabric. Anything marks the sofa and the stain does not come out easily, not at all. We have one cat and 2 small dogs and not only the dogs saliva but any human skin oil marks it and won't come off. We are trying after two months to get a replacement for leather. On top of this, we had tested in store with a key and a knife blade and nothing would show but once on the sofa at home, first the color is not exactly the same as on the sample, and secondly, one scratch from the cat and there is holes in the material right on top, worse material ever that we were told was more durable than leather and it looks like leather. Nothing to say about the comfort, very comfortable but the material is very disapointing. We bought it at Upper Room, last week, they have sent their technician/cleaner and he could not remove the marks, tomorrow another cleaning company is coming but even if they do not succeed with their cleaning, Upper Room will not replace them, they are still new. See for yourself, we are not talking stain, we are talking about marks that won't come off and not only from dog saliver, water under a glass, hand prints, you can see the fingers not from a dog.
Images
  • 20190702_144404.jpg
  • 20190702_144430.jpg
  • 20190723_142444.jpg
  • 20190723_142516.jpg
  • 20190723_142531.jpg
  • 20190723_142716.jpg
  • 20190723_152715.jpg
Oct 25, 2001
978 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
MaudeP624 wrote: Hello, we have ordered two loveseats in Dax material and it is a nightmare, the material looks like leather but we were told by a technician that it is more closer to suede type of fabric. Anything marks the sofa and the stain does not come out easily, not at all. We have one cat and 2 small dogs and not only the dogs saliva but any human skin oil marks it and won't come off. We are trying after two months to get a replacement for leather. On top of this, we had tested in store with a key and a knife blade and nothing would show but once on the sofa at home, first the color is not exactly the same as on the sample, and secondly, one scratch from the cat and there is holes in the material right on top, worse material ever that we were told was more durable than leather and it looks like leather. Nothing to say about the comfort, very comfortable but the material is very disapointing. We bought it at Upper Room, last week, they have sent their technician/cleaner and he could not remove the marks, tomorrow another cleaning company is coming but even if they do not succeed with their cleaning, Upper Room will not replace them, they are still new. See for yourself, we are not talking stain, we are talking about marks that won't come off and not only from dog saliver, water under a glass, hand prints, you can see the fingers not from a dog.
Did you ever get this resolved? We were looking at the Dax material in store and they said it was resilient and easy to clean, but your pictures seem to say differently. Wondering what the resolution was if any.
Jan 23, 2013
25 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
grumble wrote: FWIW, the company has transitioned its manufacturing to china/vietnam/indonesia. It's still headquartered in Winnipeg, but it's an import shop now.

https://www.palliser.com/faqs

Where are these furnishings made?
We develop our distinctive product styles with leading furniture designers in the United States and Canada, and manufacture them in Vietnam, Indonesia and China.

That doesn't mean that the furniture is BAD, Chinese-made furniture CAN be very good, but if you want to support Canadian manufacturing, and if you prefer the generally higher quality of Canadian versus Chinese made furniture, then you'd have to look elsewhere.

If you want a Canadian company that isn't crazy expensive, try EQ3 - they make about 2/3 of their stuff in Canada, including all of their upholstery:

https://www.eq3.com/ca/en/aboutus/canadian-made

EDIT: another option is to talk to the Furniture Depot guys referenced in the (five year old) OP, who have connections to local manufacturers. They can get you fairly good quality furniture made 'without the brand' at a reasonable price, done in-province. Lots of furniture shops can do that for you.
EQ3 is owned by palliser according to this older article: https://www.furnituretoday.com/business ... companies/

I took a chance and recently ordered 2 palliser sofas from the chesterfield shop, from what I can tell during my research there is only a few top tier brands, stressless and handcock and moore and these are huge money the stressless mary I was looking at was $7600 each, double the price of the palliser. The palliser also has different grades of leather not sure if that makes a huge difference. fingers crossed this will be a good longer lasting sofa.

I'd find it hard to believe if a sofa is entirely made in Canada or North america, (i.e. La-Z-Boy, Palliser, etc.) I'd think most companies assemble the sofa in north america but some of the parts come from overseas (i.e. recliner mechanism, motor, leather, etc.)
Jan 23, 2013
25 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
As a quick update the palliser sofa came in (Ordered Jul 11, delivered Sept 4). As expected the recliner mechanism and motor assembly are made in china. Looks like a good quality piece, time will tell.
IMAG3160.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1396 upvotes
Ancaster
We still own a leather Palliser sofa/loveseat/chair combo that is almost 30 years old now. It's in the basement and the leather is still in excellent condition. The springs below the seats are pretty worn so you sink in a lot more than when they were new; but not bad for a 30 yr old set. In it's early years we had a large dog who used to jump onto them but they never showed any wear from him. Nowadays my son and his friends use them and are hard on them but the leather still looks great.

We bought a new Palliser sofa three years ago for the main floor and are very happy with the quality of the product itself and the leather.

It is firmer than we desired but we chose that firmness while in the store. You can choose the firmness during the purchase.

The leather is very high quality but durable, They had higher grade leathers that we chose not to go with because I didn't think they'd be as durable.
Dec 29, 2020
1 posts
horrible quality of leather! their leather peels and all they offer is trying to sell replacement covers!!! I will never buy Pallister again!
Apr 23, 2021
12 posts
36 upvotes
Hey we are also looking at a sofa from upper room furnishings and we're considering the dax. The salesman said it was great. Looking at ur review I'm not so sure. Did u ever get the issue resolved? Their careplan didn't cover it?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5958 posts
2745 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
mariyamn wrote: Hey we are also looking at a sofa from upper room furnishings and we're considering the dax. The salesman said it was great. Looking at ur review I'm not so sure. Did u ever get the issue resolved? Their careplan didn't cover it?
mariyamn wrote: Did you end up buying the dax?
I see you're a relatively new member. What you want to do is use the "reply with quote", that way the original poster will receive a notification. Either that or mention their user name with the @ sign in front. Some of the people look like they post mighty infrequently though.
@mariyamn

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)