Tags:
None
16 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Broke the rules, you lose. Sad for her, but rules is rules and they are enforced.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Broke the rules, you lose. Sad for her, but rules is rules and they are enforced.
This is very embarrassing to Canada!

Top athlete forgot something so important!!?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
Whatever the technicality, she has far more medals than you guys - including another gold tonight. :)
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2005
16205 posts
289 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Breast stroke? Touching with two hands at once?

Seems legit to me.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4111 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Tornado F2 wrote: "Disqualified for a non-simultaneous touch on her breaststroke to freestyle turn."

Care to explain?
You have to touch the wall with both hands at the same time on turns, for breaststroke and fly.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Tornado F2 wrote: Whatever the technicality, she has far more medals than you guys - including another gold tonight. :)
And who was comparing themselves with her? She lost a medal by breaking a rule...we did not compete. Your comment is pointless.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
6762 posts
2096 upvotes
She managed to make up for it by winning the 400m freestyle however. Won gold.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3482 posts
3867 upvotes
Antarctica
Tornado F2 wrote: Whatever the technicality, she has far more medals than you guys - including another gold tonight. :)
Considering the rest of the countries have their B/C teams competing, not really a great accomplishment.

Let's see how many golds are won by Canada in 2016 Olympics.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
if we really want to get technical about it having both hands touch the wall at the exact same time is practically impossible.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
Pete_Coach wrote: And who was comparing themselves with her? She lost a medal by breaking a rule...we did not compete. Your comment is pointless.
She was being called "newbie" and "embarrassing" - yet she won "us" (everybody claims a share of success) a gold medal.

As for newbie though, I believe she is only 17. Her best may well be yet to come.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
Crichtonfan wrote: Considering the rest of the countries have their B/C teams competing, not really a great accomplishment.

Let's see how many golds are won by Canada in 2016 Olympics.
The US may be sending younger competitors, for experience, but I doubt that anybody else is.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
This was only her second international experience, neither of which have been in the World Championships. She's only 17, and will be competing in her first World Championships coming up. Regardless of the calibre of the field that she competed against, the wins are a nice accomplishment and confidence builder for her, as she continues to progress.
May 14, 2015
29 posts
1 upvote
Richmond, BC
It is a shame that she lost her medal. She's also really young so I'm sure that with more experience she won't make the same mistake. Speaking of age, I'm kind of new to the Pan Am games, and I have a question regarding the age of participants. I've noticed that quite a number of younger athletes are participating, while some of the older ones aren't at the games. Is this an event that has an age restriction, and is meant for the younger generation to compete or can older athletes be selected as well?
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
jcynailart wrote: It is a shame that she lost her medal. She's also really young so I'm sure that with more experience she won't make the same mistake. Speaking of age, I'm kind of new to the Pan Am games, and I have a question regarding the age of participants. I've noticed that quite a number of younger athletes are participating, while some of the older ones aren't at the games. Is this an event that has an age restriction, and is meant for the younger generation to compete or can older athletes be selected as well?
Generally speaking no age limits. The reason you see lots of younger athletes is because it's an opportunity for them to gain international experience where as they might not qualify for a World Championships (or Olympics) otherwise. That's not to say these are the worst of the best athletes from each country - far from it. There are many Olympic gold/silver/bronze medalists at these games as well. It really just depends on the talent available for a country for any given event. If they have a rising future star that is 2-4 years away from real contention, they may want to help get their feet wet with exposure starting with Pan Am games rather than send an "old timer" (who may personally choose to not compete as well).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)