• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2015 1:26 am
[OP]
Jul 24, 2012
945 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto

PanAm games ticket refund?

Hey, I just bought some tickets for the closing ceremony but realized I can't attend. I just found out they aren't allowing the reselling of tickets and there are no refunds/exchanges at all, so what can I do?
Is a chargeback possible? It's not like I can give them away for free or bite the cost either.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7366 posts
834 upvotes
GTA
No, you can't do a chargeback. They have provided you with what you purchased so there are no grounds for a chargeback. If people could do chargebacks all the scalpers would do that when they bought tickets they thought they could gouge people on but miscalculated the demand for an event.

Someone else can purchase the tickets from you at face value as long as certain criteria are met (e.g. can't post them online, etc.) The info is easily found on google but I can't post it as I'm on mobile now.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2545 posts
1569 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
murtadi007 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 1:43 am
Hey, I just bought some tickets for the closing ceremony but realized I can't attend. I just found out they aren't allowing the reselling of tickets and there are no refunds/exchanges at all, so what can I do?
Is a chargeback possible? It's not like I can give them away for free or bite the cost either.
A chargeback would not only be a d1ck move on your part, it wouldn't be successful. The promoter sold you the tickets, they delivered the tickets and most ticketed events don't permit refunds or exchanges.
Unfortunately it's not their problem if you can't go, so the loss is yours. I would suggest listing them somewhere at cost (or slightly below) or mentioning them to your friends/family.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6757 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
murtadi007 wrote:
A chargeback cannot be used because you changed your mind. Yes, you can file one, but it won't be successful.

Kijiji is your friend, there'll probably also be people outside the venue looking to buy tickets, send a friend to sell em for face value.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8515 upvotes
GTHA
carmaster wrote:
Jul 18th, 2015 2:25 pm
Try to sell them on Kijiji.
from question-about-resale-pan-am-games-tickets-1773327/

Pan Am Games tickets can’t be resold on sites like Kijiji, according to Games organizers

“Although Kijiji absolutely welcomes the sale of tickets on our site, there are instances when a specific event planner will ask us to enforce their ‘not for re-sale’ policy. In this case, we have been notified by the host venue that all tickets for Pan Am and Parapan Am Games are non-transferable.”

There isn’t an outright ban on ticket transfers, according to the terms and conditions that go along with the purchase. Instead, the Games set out a list of rules that people must meet before selling their tickets – the tickets can’t be sold for more than face value, and they can’t be offered publicly like on Kijiji, Craigslist, or Stubhub (though Pan Am tickets can be found on each of the sites) and you have to know the person you’re selling the tickets to.

According to the Games’ document: “The transferee is a natural person, who is known to the Ticket Purchaser personally and who did not become known to the Ticket Purchaser through the sale, transfer or disposal of the Ticket, and the Ticket must be for the transferee’s personal use only.”
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8005 posts
1584 upvotes
Mississauga
Why would you think it's anyone's problem but yours and perceive it to be acceptable to do a chargeback?

Chalk it up to doing better planning next time if you can't sell it to someone you know.

Abusing the intent of credit card protection mechanisms isn't the answer nor intent of the policy.
Banned
Jul 2, 2015
395 posts
64 upvotes
Canada
murtadi007 wrote:
You can sell them for face value