• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2017 5:22 pm
[OP]
May 9, 2015
140 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON

Panasonic Lens adapter to Nikon F Body

Anyone know if there are adapters for panasonic lenses to a Nikon d3300? Ive been looking around and not sure if I have the correct one. Anyone know about it? Thanks!
9 replies
Feb 12, 2017
9 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
Hi msiboy,

I own an adapter that allows me to mount Nikon lenses on a Micro Four Thirds (Olympus or Panasonic) camera. Adapters for various Nikon lens series are available under different brand names at Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, and photo stores.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... er&_sop=15

Since these adapters have no electronics, you will be shooting in manual exposure mode with manual focus.

If you want to put a Panasonic lens on a Nikon camera, I have not seen any such adapters. If an adapter exists, it would produce pictures with a black frame around them because a Nikon APS-C sensors is larger than the image circle from a Micro 4/3 lens. You would need to crop every picture to eliminate the black frame.

I hope that helps.

Kevin
[OP]
May 9, 2015
140 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON
Wow thats fantastic! thanks for the information.

I heard the mirrorless adapters are better, is that true?
The reason why I want to mount the lens to my nikon is because of its mm size. 14-42. I thought 14 would be nice for wide angle shots!
May 5, 2010
776 posts
204 upvotes
OP, you can't put Micro four third lenses (your panasonic) on a Nikon camera body. There's no adapter for that.

There's 2 reasons for that:

1st, the flange distance is very short on a mirrorless camera VS a DSLR that has a mirror, so the flange distance is obviously way larger. Nikon is 46.50 mm and MFT is 19.25 mm. So with a Nikon lens that need 46.5 mm flange dist. that you want to use it on a MFT, an adapter that adds 27.25 mm will make it works as on a DLSR, but the other way is not possible.
2nd, lenses are designed to cover the surface of the sensor it was suppose to be used with. MFT lenses are so small because it's designed to cover a small surface. I'm not sure the exact number but I think MFT is about 1.5 smaller than APS-C cameras, so say you can mount it on a APS-C, it'll have a large vignette because it's not design to cover a sensor 1.5 time bigger than what it was suppose to cover.
Aug 18, 2013
12 posts
4 upvotes
London
You won't find any adapters to put other lenses on a Nikon body since the sensor in a Nikon is too far from the mounting flange and the adapter would only make the distance greater.

The only lenses that will fit a Nikon body are those specifically designed to be mounted on a Nikon body such as by Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11357 posts
1000 upvotes
Kanata
notunknown wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 10:26 am
You won't find any adapters to put other lenses on a Nikon body since the sensor in a Nikon is too far from the mounting flange and the adapter would only make the distance greater.

The only lenses that will fit a Nikon body are those specifically designed to be mounted on a Nikon body such as by Nikon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.
That's not true, there are adapters to mount lenses for other camera bodies on Nikon bodies. Depending on the adapter, certain functionality may not be present and require manual setting (aperture, focus, exposure, etc).
Aug 28, 2005
292 posts
47 upvotes
msiboy wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 12:06 am
The reason why I want to mount the lens to my nikon is because of its mm size. 14-42. I thought 14 would be nice for wide angle shots!
Even if you were able to get this to work, you would not be able to use it as if it were a proper 14mm lens on your Nikon camera. As mentioned by Kevin3840 and Gin Martini, the sensor area that the Micro Four Thirds lenses are designed to cover are for Micro Four Thirds sensors. Since this is smaller than your Nikon camera, the actual usable image you would get would be as if you used the 14mm lens on a Micro Four Thirds sensor, since the image wouldn't fill the whole Nikon sensor.

This means you would end up with an image that was like using a 28ish mm lens on a full frame camera (probably just slightly wider than that), after you cropped down to the usable area (i.e. the area that the lens actually cast an image onto your larger sensor).

So if you're hoping to get an ultra wide lens for cheap, I don't know that it would work that way..
[OP]
May 9, 2015
140 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON
Aw mannnn, thanks!
i guess ill have to give up on the 14-42 unless i buy a panasonic body cam.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11357 posts
1000 upvotes
Kanata
msiboy wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:03 pm
Aw mannnn, thanks!
i guess ill have to give up on the 14-42 unless i buy a panasonic body cam.
or an olympus, you could go that way as well, since it also uses the same mount.
Aug 18, 2013
12 posts
4 upvotes
London
goofball wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 10:40 am
That's not true, there are adapters to mount lenses for other camera bodies on Nikon bodies. Depending on the adapter, certain functionality may not be present and require manual setting (aperture, focus, exposure, etc).
Examples?