Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Panasonic ST/VT/ZT Series Plasma Deals

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2014 6:03 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes

Panasonic ST/VT/ZT Series Plasma Deals

Has anyone seen any deals on higher end Panasonic plasma's? With Panasonic getting out of the plasma business soon, I've been waiting to buy thinking there would be some good deals to be had on Black Friday, but so far haven't seen anything. Would appreciate a heads up if anyone has seen any decent deals, particularly on a 65" ST.

Thanks.
70 replies
Nov 29, 2007
49 posts
8 upvotes
Yes I'd also appreciate a good deal as well.
Apr 18, 2013
43 posts
13 upvotes
Regina
Let's hope Best Buy or Future Shop pull through for us. I'm still on the fence about plasma and led, a sweet deal on these TVs could sway me!
Apr 4, 2012
627 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
The St line is a great value Tv, but BB is out of stock and FS shows one 65" available for online purchase at 2399, well see if they even get anymore in. Seems like you have to ask the smaller dealers and hope they can give you similar deals as wear available earlier this year, I believe the 65" could have been found for 2199. But with such low supply(production winding down) and seemingly hight demand for the ST line, it'll be hard finding a really good deal.
Nov 11, 2012
115 posts
10 upvotes
Looking for a good deal on 60/65 ST/VT as well. :)
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes
I called everyone in Ottawa today and the 65" ST is sold out everywhere. Best Buy and Future Shop said there are none available for Ontario. All the smaller retailers have them on order and said I could put a deposit down on the off chance that they actually get more stock, but there aren't going to be any significant Black Friday deals on the ST and if you can even find one you should buy it while you still can.

I was at Future Shop last month debating whether to buy the 65" ST at $2,299 but the salesman said I could probably get a better deal if I waited until until Black Friday. Kicking myself for not buying one then! The owner of one retailer today guaranteed he could get the 65" ST if I gave him a deposit. It turned out he couldn't so he offered me a 65" VT for $2,899. It's more than I wanted to spend but it seems like a good price for a VT (in Canada) so I took it.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2086 posts
1510 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone had luck with ordering from the states? I know there's duties and everything else involved, but Abes of Maine sells the 60" VT for $1800 + $80 shipping.

From what I recall, duties is 8%, so you'd be looking at:
$1800 + $80 + $144 ($1800x8%) + $234 (13% tax) + $25 (duty processing charge) = $2283? Seems like it would be a good deal, no?

The 65" would come to:
$2375 + $80 + $190 ($2375x8%) + $309 (13% tax) + $25 (duty processing charge) = $2979?

I could be overestimating totals (hopefully not underestimating), which is why I'm asking if anyone ordered theirs from the state and what their final bill came to.

Edit: Links I was referring to:
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item ... PRICEGRABB
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item ... 60&&kbid=*
Apr 4, 2012
627 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
Last time I checked Panasonic plasmas were manufactured in Mexico, a NAFTA country, you shouldn't pay duties. If they charge you for some reason, and if it's worth your time you can submit a adjustment request form and supporting documents for reimbursement of duties collected.
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes
Abe's are brutal to deal with. I ordered a Pioneer Elite receiver from them a few years ago. After placing the order a very aggressive salesman called trying to push a bunch of stuff on me that I didn't want. I did pay extra for 2-day shipping but I think they shipped ground because it took over a week to arrive so that was a complete waste of money. The receiver had the worst packing I've ever seen. The Pioneer box which is quite big and heavy on its own was put into a much bigger, thin, flimsy cardboard box that looked like it had seen a lot of previous wear. They put a strip of 5 air packets in to cushion the smaller box inside. Even if those 5 packets hadn't all popped while the receiver was being thrown around inside the bigger box (which they did) they wouldn't have offered any real protection anyway. The Pioneer's box was heavily damaged on receipt only I couldn't see it when I signed for it because it was inside the other box. Luckily the receiver worked fine and is still working fine to this day but I would not recommend dealing with Abe's; I can only imagine what your TV would look like on receipt!

I did look into buying from the US from Paul's TV though as I've had other items shipped to Ogdensburg to pick up there. Doing it with a TV though is pretty risky because once the receiver at the border store (UPS or NAC Logisitcs in my case) signs for the TV you own it! If the TV is damaged in transit then you've got a big, expensive paper weight on your hands. As a long shot I called UPS and NAC Logisitics and asked if there was any way they could inspect a TV upon receipt before signing for it (for a fee even) and they wouldn't do it. I talked to Paul's and asked if there was any way they would warrant the TV until I picked it up at the depot and they said that once it was signed for by the carrier it was my responsibility.

You also have to add the currency conversion to you calculation. Our dollar is a little over $.94 US right now, and you will pay around another 3% on your credit card on top of that to buy in US dollars, so add about 9% to your purchase price and HST as well, though there shouldn't be any duty as the Panasonic's are manufactured in Mexico and there is no fee to clear things at customs yourself.

Panasonic will also not warrant TV's purchased out of the country in Canada, so if you do have a problem you will need to send it back to the US for service.

I just bought a 65VT60 for $3,275 with tax. You really need to ask yourself if the risk and potential hassle are worth it. For a VT 65 the final price should look something like this:

$2375 + $80 * 1.09 (market US exchange rate + 3%) = $2675.95 + $328 (13% tax on Canadian value of TV) + $25 handling fee at border store (UPS etc.) = $3028.95 + time and gas

It's a $250 savings at most, but it's a huge gamble and you have no Canadian warranty.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2086 posts
1510 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Citizen Bmac, I always find the whole customs / duties thing confusing.
Jul 15, 2003
931 posts
411 upvotes
So unfortunate that there are no deals for Pana plasmas :(
Dec 22, 2008
226 posts
22 upvotes
I just scored a ST60 (55") for $1399 at BB, (reg. $1599) it was last one in stock at my store (London ON, North) I think that is and was a solid deal. Best I could find..... I am also price protected tell January 3rd. It might of just been a "in store" deal cause if you call it up on there online site it's $1599.

Funny I went into this tv purchase looking at the S60, and when I saw the ST60 for $200 off I had to pounce, when the same model ST60 At Frys (US store) had it for $1350. Basically paid American par gotta love that :razz:

Hope I won't be disappointed, I'm current owner of a Pioneer Kuro 5020 (still will be my pride and joy)
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
2020 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
Citizen Bmac wrote: I just bought a 65VT60 for $3,275 with tax.
Could you kindly share with us where did you get it?
Is it 2900 + tax?
Jul 6, 2009
828 posts
522 upvotes
The guy asked me not to say. The owner of the store promised he could get me a 65ST60 if I gave him a deposit, but it turned out he couldn't so he offered a good deal on the VT. I would have been happy to save $600 on the ST but the deal on the VT is as good as I was going to get I think.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
2037 posts
523 upvotes
'sauga
Also in the market for a 60ST60, but stock is very low across the board (at least in Mississauga) so it doesn't look like anybody's discounting them under $1899. Really kicking myself for not getting one earlier! I did find a 60VT60 for $2599, which is a pretty decent discount, but it's a bit over my budget.
Dec 25, 2006
781 posts
790 upvotes
Ottawa
Just curious...is the TC-P65ST60 for $2349 a decent deal?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
2020 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
Citizen Bmac wrote: The guy asked me not to say. The owner of the store promised he could get me a 65ST60 if I gave him a deposit, but it turned out he couldn't so he offered a good deal on the VT. I would have been happy to save $600 on the ST but the deal on the VT is as good as I was going to get I think.
Ah, so it's not a deal or something, so you just got very lucky! Good thinking!
Aug 24, 2009
852 posts
504 upvotes
Mississauga
So I have a horseshoe you know where. I noticed yesterday at the new Mississauga Costco that they carried the 65ST60 for $2199, and only had three units left in stock. I found this odd as they just opened earlier this week and we all know that this unit is hard to find, etc.

I go back today and there's nothing left but the demo unit, probably due to this thread. :) Knowing it has only been open for a few days and looks brand new, I worked with the manager to get it for $1950. Bought the extended warranty for an extra $99, and now I'm protected for 5 years. Will hook it up shortly when my wife gets home. I hope it's as good as everyone says - it's replacing a 4 year old Sharp 60" LCD.

So it might be worth it to call your local Costco to see if they have this. The stock number according to my receipt is 999365.
Mar 18, 2008
12 posts
Ottawa
wozman24 wrote: I just scored a ST60 (55") for $1399 at BB, (reg. $1599) it was last one in stock at my store (London ON, North) I think that is and was a solid deal. Best I could find..... I am also price protected tell January 3rd. It might of just been a "in store" deal cause if you call it up on there online site it's $1599.

Funny I went into this tv purchase looking at the S60, and when I saw the ST60 for $200 off I had to pounce, when the same model ST60 At Frys (US store) had it for $1350. Basically paid American par gotta love that :razz:

Hope I won't be disappointed, I'm current owner of a Pioneer Kuro 5020 (still will be my pride and joy)
do you mind sharing your receipt? I'm going to see if the Futureshop near my place will honour that price.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)