• Nov 12th, 2017 10:33 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10471 posts
3790 upvotes

The Liberals horded money in offshore bank accounts

https://www.thestar.com/news/paradise-p ... taxes.html

I have to say I'm shocked by this. Things like this explain why people are still able to do this though. I don't think the elites or the establishment would allow this type of behavior to be stopped. They don't want to pay taxes like the rest of us. Smiling Face With Horns
I am a Zoomer customer.
79 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4517 posts
493 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 1:20 pm

I have to say I'm shocked by this. Things like this explain why people are still able to do this though. I don't think the elites or the establishment would allow this type of behavior to be stopped. They don't want to pay taxes like the rest of us. Smiling Face With Horns
Monday question period should be pretty interesting
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
May 12, 2014
873 posts
348 upvotes
Montreal
"... an investigation by the CBC, Radio-Canada and the Toronto Star has found that Bronfman and his Montreal-based investment company, Claridge Inc., were key players linked to a $60-million US offshore trust in the Cayman Islands that may have cost Canadians millions in unpaid taxes..."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/st ... -1.4382511
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1171 posts
119 upvotes
Logtown
Why isn't this a surprise.. put humans (human politicians especially) on a celebrity pedestal, they let you down every time.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2298 posts
1047 upvotes
Vancouver
blexann wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 1:26 pm
Monday question period should be pretty interesting
You mean where Trudeau blathers on without answering the question?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5245 posts
1445 upvotes
Kootenays
Is it any surprise that the third generation son of one of the richest families would keep money in an offshore account...Liberal fundraiser or not? FYI...Mulroney, Chretien and Paul Martin are named, too. (As is Queen Elizabeth II) http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/former-l ... -1.3664328
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
3437 posts
195 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 1:20 pm

I think your implication that "the elites" are evading taxes is premature. The article said:
A formal decision on the trust’s actual “mind and management” can only be made by the Canada Revenue Agency. If it is found the trust was Canadian, the CRA could assess back taxes dating to the founding of the trust.
I contribute to my RRSP and TFSA in order to legally reduce my tax liability. I dare say that "the rest of us" do the same. So why can't "the elites" reduce their taxes if it turns out they are doing so legally?
Last edited by CheapScotch on Nov 5th, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2937 posts
2106 upvotes
Burnaby
Wealthy tax cheaters investing on politicians in a long-term intimate quid-pro-quo partnership. What's really surprising is how the offspring of the initial partnership recreated that of their parents. The machinery is real!!!
CorruptPoliticians-TaxCheaters.JPG
yare yare daze...

[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10471 posts
3790 upvotes
CheapScotch wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 4:27 pm
I think your implication that "the elites" are evading taxes is premature. The article said:

I contribute to my RRSP and TFSA in order to legally reduce my tax liability. I dare say that "the rest of us" do the same. So why can't "the elites" reduce their taxes if it turns out they are doing so legally?
So you don’t consider the queen to be an elite?
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7187 posts
233 upvotes
CheapScotch wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 4:27 pm

Terrible comparison.

RRSP and TFSA is avaible for most Canadians.

This is strictly for elites who want to hide their money. You and I are not eligible for it. Clearly, they used the system to evade tax legally. That is why its called a LOOPHOLE.

Just because its legal doesnt mean its right. Residential schools used to be legal too.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
3437 posts
195 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:07 pm
Clearly, they used the system to evade tax legally.
No, it is not clear whether it was legal or not, which is why I said SickBeast's implication was premature.
kevindurant1 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:07 pm
Just because it's legal doesnt mean its right.
Nor does it mean it was wrong either. But if you are saying it is wrong for "elites" to legally reduce their tax liability in this manner, please explain why. (assuming you can do so without attacking the Conservative Party of Canada Smiling Face With Open Mouth)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7187 posts
233 upvotes
CheapScotch wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:22 pm
No, it is not clear whether it was legal or not, which is why I said SickBeast's implication was premature.

Nor does it mean it was wrong either. But if you are saying it is wrong for "elites" to legally reduce their tax liability in this manner, please explain why. (assuming you can do so without attacking the Conservative Party of Canada Smiling Face With Open Mouth)
You dont know why its wrong?.

Its wrong when you take your massive wealth to some country with very small GDP and its main business is banking(ie. Panama). They are using shell corporations.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... 5-year-old

Again. This is for the elites. This is not for you or me. So comparing this to RRSP/TFSA is quite ridiculous. CRA could also go to ANY canadian bank and check your financial record. CRA cant go to some panama bank and give up the goods.

A rich individual could pay zero taxes. Read up on the Panama papers.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
3437 posts
195 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:38 pm
A rich individual could pay zero taxes.
Rich people pay a lot more in taxes than you and me.
kevindurant1 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:38 pm
Read up on the Panama papers.
Have you been following it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Pa ... th_America

Has they found anyone who is paying "zero taxes"? Has the CRA convicted anyone?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4485 posts
2215 upvotes
I can assure you Trudeau has wealth in offshore accounts... matter of time before it's exposed
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4840 posts
717 upvotes
CheapScotch wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:22 pm
The article seems to describe most of the investment growth in wealth to have happened outside of Canada (e.g. Israel), and that the main owners of said accounts are not even living in Canada anymore. Therefore I'm not that upset at the notion that they weren't paying taxes on their gains described above.

What's more concerning, however, is when and how these people are buying influence with the politicians.