• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 10:33 am
Aug 31, 2017
190 posts
48 upvotes
CheapScotch wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:08 pm
It doesn't matter what newspapers you subscribe to. You are giving credit to The Star and CBC for running with a story which was dropped in their lap by another news outlet. Kind of like praising the financial acumen of someone who is a multi-millionaire because they won a lottery jackpot.
You just don't get it. No point continuing this as you're already set to in your displeasure of the CBC and Toronto Star
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
3437 posts
195 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:15 pm
You just don't get it. No point continuing this as you're already set to in your displeasure of the CBC and Toronto Star
Lighten up. I am not displeased at the CBC or The Star, but that is not the same as giving them credit for someone else's work.
Jun 5, 2017
127 posts
6 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
when the election campaign starts, we all need to agree to attend rallies and hammer the libs on all the crap they have done and embarrass the hell out of them and also to expose more people to the truth.
Jun 5, 2017
127 posts
6 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
hi-tech wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:07 am
I'm so confused as to what exactly the issue is that's being relayed back to Trudeau.

His friend and someone who raised money for him before the election has his family fortune involved in a tax avoidance scheme?

How is this related to Trudeau? Is he supposed to personally manage his friend's wealth?
well i find it makes the PM look extremely incompetent that he has hired people who turn out to be doing crap like this, trudeau is like the northern trump. and funneling money into tax havens is corrupt and unethical. its a means for the wealthy to stay wealthy while keeping the rest of us in a form of slavery and poverty.
Dec 14, 2007
59 posts
2 upvotes
It's sad in Canada that nobody leads people to drain the swamp.
[removed for inappropriate content]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5966 posts
221 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:33 am
CRA to ‘review’ Canadians linked to Paradise Papers leak
https://www.thestar.com/news/paradise-p ... -leak.html
A classic distraction. A lot of what was done wasn't illegal and so the CRA's hands will be tied. That's the problem.

The Liberals have been telling us all summer that farmers and doctors are fat cats who aren't paying their fair share of the tax burden. Then we find out that 2 former Liberal PMs and the Liberal Revenue Chair have been exploiting REAL loopholes to avoid paying taxes. These aren't investment vehicles to encourage saving for retirement or favourable tax rules to encourage investment by small businesses, these are fabulously wealthy people who live here and enjoy the benefits but try to pay as little of the tax burden as possible.
Last edited by hugh_da_man on Nov 7th, 2017 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5966 posts
221 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 6:17 pm
Fair enough. Our governments haven't exactly made this a priority though. This should have been dealt with a very long time ago. For the senate to kibosh it like that it really makes me question their legitimacy.

I think this is a real opening for the NDP to come in and clean this mess right up. They will abolish the senate, implement proportional representation, and fix this crooked tax problem once and for all. I can live with whatever left wing nonsense they can come up with if they at least do those three things. I don't think the Liberals or the Conservatives will fix this once and for all the way the NDP would.
I agree that no party really does much to change this. The Conservatives tried to do something about it a few times but the Liberal dominated senate did everything they could to stall or kill it and the Liberals tried once but it was killed by members of the party. The problem is that the political costs are quite high. You don't want to make enemies of rich and powerful people when you're doing everything you can to get elected. A few million to moveon.org and rich elites can use the power of the people to drive their chosen narrative in the next election.

This doesn't require the senate to be abolished. The senate is actually a good thing. They can study legislation and listen to public testimony. The problem is that senators are appointed. Even today, Trudeau just appoints whoever he wants essentially. An elected senate with 8 year terms (with elections to be held during the general election closest to the 8th year of the term) would probably solve most of the problems. It would solve the problem of people being in the senate till they die, it would get rid of the patronage appointments that have caused the most problems, and it would still provide us with a chamber of sober second thought but without the necessary ties to party politics.

I have no faith in the NDP doing anything either. I doubt they'd even get proportional representation implemented. It's difficult for a party to change the system that just elected them. That and the NDP are big fans of crooked tax plans. They just craft them to benefit their chosen people instead of the chosen people of the other parties.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2730 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Neon8000 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:36 pm
You get one vote. It wisely.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1294 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Neon8000 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:36 pm
The Swamp is even murkier in canada than in the US

A Drain the Swamp candidate would be a nice change from all the virtue signalling puppets that we have at every election.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2730 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
qewcool wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 9:25 am
The Swamp is even murkier in canada than in the US

A Drain the Swamp candidate would be a nice change from all the virtue signalling puppets that we have at every election.
The solution is for everyone to never vote incumbent but alas too many Canadians are died in the wool "insert party name" like a bunch of ******** Leafs or Habs fans and can't see past an election being a cheer for their favorite team. So we deserve the swamp.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2216 posts
209 upvotes
brandonly wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 8:12 pm
well i find it makes the PM look extremely incompetent that he has hired people who turn out to be doing crap like this, trudeau is like the northern trump. and funneling money into tax havens is corrupt and unethical. its a means for the wealthy to stay wealthy while keeping the rest of us in a form of slavery and poverty.
Trudeau did not hire this person. Just a friend of his who happened to have raised money for his campaign.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
hugh_da_man wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 2:26 am
A classic distraction. A lot of what was done wasn't illegal and so the CRA's hands will be tied. That's the problem.

The Liberals have been telling us all summer that farmers and doctors are fat cats who aren't paying their fair share of the tax burden. Then we find out that 2 former Liberal PMs and the Liberal Revenue Chair have been exploiting REAL loopholes to avoid paying taxes. These aren't investment vehicles to encourage saving for retirement or favourable tax rules to encourage investment by small businesses, these are fabulously wealthy people who live here and enjoy the benefits but try to pay as little of the tax burden as possible.
Notice how Bronfman said that they always conduct themselves to the highest moral and legal standards? One can only claim that in a morally defunct society like ours where the only moral code is the law codes...the law codes that these people construct so they justify their moral corruptions.

Is it any surprise that Paul Martin comes up in this? Didn't the man change the tax laws on maritime shipping while PM to allow companies to register their ships off seas as a form of tax haven? And wasn't his company, Canadian Steam Ship Lines the first to use it?

Just a perfect example of why small government is better...for the more power you give government the more their corruption affects you.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2298 posts
1047 upvotes
Vancouver
hi-tech wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 7:11 pm
Trudeau did not hire this person. Just a friend of his who happened to have raised money for his campaign.
When he's in charge of fundraising Trudeau's campaign, he's more than "just a friend".

https://www.thestar.com/news/paradise-p ... taxes.html

"“(Trudeau) came to me and said, ‘You know, I’ve made a decision. I’m going to run for the leadership,’ ” Bronfman recalled in a 2013 interview. “I’d always told him, especially since he’d gotten in politics and was first elected, ‘Justin, anything I can do to help, just let me know.’ ”

The well-connected Bronfman, a known philanthropist and environmentalist, took the reins of the party fundraising machine in late 2013, significantly boosting annual donations.

“The goal is raise a lot of money and to help Justin become the next prime minister,” Bronfman said. “Simple, simple goal.”