• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 10:33 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5972 posts
224 upvotes
Jermyzy wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:20 am
When he's in charge of fundraising Trudeau's campaign, he's more than "just a friend".

https://www.thestar.com/news/paradise-p ... taxes.html

"“(Trudeau) came to me and said, ‘You know, I’ve made a decision. I’m going to run for the leadership,’ ” Bronfman recalled in a 2013 interview. “I’d always told him, especially since he’d gotten in politics and was first elected, ‘Justin, anything I can do to help, just let me know.’ ”

The well-connected Bronfman, a known philanthropist and environmentalist, took the reins of the party fundraising machine in late 2013, significantly boosting annual donations.

“The goal is raise a lot of money and to help Justin become the next prime minister,” Bronfman said. “Simple, simple goal.”
Clearly he's just a friend. It's not like he's on the Liberal party board of directors or anything... https://www.liberal.ca/national-board-of-directors/
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14539 posts
1091 upvotes
Toronto
This is tantamount to syphoning our tax money that's suppose to go to social programs and putting it in their own personal bank accounts. Are we suppose to be placated to know they're sorry and promise not to do it again? Nothing short of prison time will be acceptable. They are no better than a bank robber.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2824 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:30 am
This is tantamount to syphoning our tax money that's suppose to go to social programs and putting it in their own personal bank accounts. Are we suppose to be placated to know they're sorry and promise not to do it again? Nothing short of prison time will be acceptable. They are no better than a bank robber.
It is actually worse than that for these same people also tell you, me and others, who have far less than they have, that we need to pay more taxes while they hide theirs wealth and income.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2946 posts
186 upvotes
Move along nothing to see here as he is satisfied.
Speaking to reporters today in Hanoi, Vietnam, Trudeau says he accepts the assurances made by Stephen Bronfman that he has followed all the rules.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Sep 1, 2013
383 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
sandeeS wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:43 am
Move along nothing to see here as he is satisfied.
More votes lost in the next election, hopefully, as the public should be anything but satisfied.

Yes, I'm sure Bronfman's followed the laws to the letter. Laws are made and/or influenced by, and exclusively for, people like himself. That's the part that spineless and complacent politicians like Trudeau will always conveniently ignore. It's all part of the plan to concentrate more and more of the world's wealth into the hands of the chosen few.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5972 posts
224 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:30 am
Um...no one has apologized. Oh and they haven't said they won't do it again either. They say it's legal and they'll keep doing it.

The Liberals could change the laws right now to hurt Mr. Bronfman and make him pay his "fair share" of taxes (Liberal words) but they say they're happy with his explanation and everything is fine. When the NDP and/or Conservatives are talking about closing these loopholes in the next election and the Liberals start promising the same thing, I hope Canadians won't believe them.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
3439 posts
195 upvotes
The story seems to be fizzling out quickly, as it should. There is a lot of speculation as to the reason for these offshore accounts, but little hard evidence of any wrongdoing. If Canadians want to worry about our taxation system, they should be more concerned by the small business reforms proposed by Liberals this summer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
5972 posts
224 upvotes
CheapScotch wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:14 am
The story seems to be fizzling out quickly, as it should. There is a lot of speculation as to the reason for these offshore accounts, but little hard evidence of any wrongdoing. If Canadians want to worry about our taxation system, they should be more concerned by the small business reforms proposed by Liberals this summer.
It's going to take a while for all of this to work it's way out. That and we have a corrupt government who is very against any kind of investigation into potential wrongdoing or lost taxes because the people implicated are their friends and colleagues.

That being said, they are starting to uncover evidence of potential wrongdoing...
Top federal bureaucrats held private meetings with a lobbyist for the interests of the world's tax havens, and one of them even provided talking points that went against Canada's official stance on greater transparency of corporate ownership, records in the Paradise Papers reveal.

The meetings with London-based Canadian lawyer Richard Hay were not reported to the federal lobbying registry and Hay himself was not registered to lobby in Canada — potentially violating the law depending on what exactly was said, an investigation by Radio-Canada and the Toronto Star has found.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ifc-for ... -1.4393807
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
CheapScotch wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:08 pm
It doesn't matter what newspapers you subscribe to. You are giving credit to The Star and CBC for running with a story which was dropped in their lap by another news outlet. Kind of like praising the financial acumen of someone who is a multi-millionaire because they won a lottery jackpot.
CBC is not a news outlet - it's a copy and paste cheap rag.
Most of what passes on it would not be considered journalism in any other country.

Here is the background on the Paradise Papers:

What are the Paradise Papers?

The name refers to a leak of 13.4m files. Most of the documents – 6.8m – relate to a law firm and corporate services provider that operated together in 10 jurisdictions under the name Appleby. Last year, the “fiduciary” arm of the business was the subject of a management buyout and it is now called Estera.

There are also details from 19 corporate registries maintained by governments in secrecy jurisdictions – Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, the Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, the Cook Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Labuan, Lebanon, Malta, the Marshall Islands, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent, Samoa, Trinidad and Tobago, and Vanuatu.

The papers cover the period from 1950 to 2016.

How many media organisations have been looking at the data?

The Guardian is one of 96 media partners in the project. A total of 381 journalists from 67 countries have been analysing the material.

Who got the documents – and how?

The leaks were obtained by the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung, which also received the Panama Papers last year. Süddeutsche Zeitung shared the material with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, a US-based organisation that coordinated the global collaboration. Süddeutsche Zeitung has not, and will not, discuss issues around sourcing.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/n ... ey-tell-us
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1368 posts
147 upvotes
Kitchener
So would politicians who are involved in this in any way then be responsible for closing the loopholes?

And yeah, nothing will come of this, count on it. Things will rise to the surface for a moment in time of online outrage but then the public mind will shift yet again to some other splash in the pan moment of "I can't believe this is happening".

And then the Conservatives will be voted back in and shit like this will come to light when they're in power and the Liberals will cry foul and round and round it goes.
Jul 30, 2010
936 posts
106 upvotes
X-Nemesis wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:33 pm
So would politicians who are involved in this in any way then be responsible for closing the loopholes?

And yeah, nothing will come of this, count on it. Things will rise to the surface for a moment in time of online outrage but then the public mind will shift yet again to some other splash in the pan moment of "I can't believe this is happening".

And then the Conservatives will be voted back in and shit like this will come to light when they're in power and the Liberals will cry foul and round and round it goes.
I think it's time for another Justin Trudeau puff piece down south. Maybe Vanity Fair this time? Look at those abs! He's talking about feminism! *fawn*
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1368 posts
147 upvotes
Kitchener
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:39 pm
I think it's time for another Justin Trudeau puff piece down south. Maybe Vanity Fair this time? Look at those abs! He's talking about feminism! *fawn*
You forgot the hair.
Aug 21, 2008
539 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
Sanyo wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 7:15 pm
I can assure you Trudeau has wealth in offshore accounts... matter of time before it's exposed
I have no doubt his Dad socked away millions in offshore accounts as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4729 posts
400 upvotes
Scarborough
Now you know where all that Aid Money of 1st world countries to 3rd world countries goes.........to those accounts and NOT the ordinary people.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
Discount wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:26 pm
I have no doubt his Dad socked away millions in offshore accounts as well.
Not sure how all that conjecture is fair.

I wish politicians would put an end to all these unfair and extremely unequitable loopholes - they will come after the little man for a few dollars, and yet billions/millions here are siphoned off by the rich. Sad!
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm: