• Nov 22nd, 2017 8:18 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4524 posts
247 upvotes

Paradox packable down jacket (Costco)

Can anyone provide a review on the warmth of the packable down coats made by Paradox and sold at Costco recently? How cold would these coats be appropriate for? The tag has info about the fill but not about the degree rating. Would it be good for down to -10C, with appropriate layering underneath?

Thanks.
4 replies
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10044 posts
906 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
amz155 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:09 pm
Can anyone provide a review on the warmth of the packable down coats made by Paradox and sold at Costco recently? How cold would these coats be appropriate for? The tag has info about the fill but not about the degree rating. Would it be good for down to -10C, with appropriate layering underneath?

Thanks.
Bottom line, there is no industry standard for temperature rating. Just like there is no industry standard measurements for breathability or waterproofing/water resistance across companies. Each company uses their own so-called laboratory methods which doesnt mean shit all across the industry. Makes it extremely frustrating to compare across companies and models. What one company says is -30C rating could be another company's -15C or -18C/-20C. For example, Eddie Bauer's ratings are horrific. They claim all their top end jackets are rated -29C or -32C. All a bunch of crock. I start freezing in their stuff around -17/-18C with zero windchill... yet with the same temp wearing a TEI 5 canada goose you will feel really warm to slightly sweating. Same with Fjallraven No1 down or Arctic Bay.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4524 posts
247 upvotes
Thanks. I wore it today and felt toasty in the cold. I posted because I wasn't sure I wanted to take the tags off if it wouldn't cut the cold on a decently cold day. So far, so good. Not sure how it'd feel if its windy but I'll test that out and see.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1826 posts
44 upvotes
YVR
Wore this, with a good layering system on my recent trip to Iceland. -2/-3 temperatures with massive windchill. held up pretty good. My legs gave out way before I had any issues with my upper body.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4524 posts
247 upvotes
TeriyakiJack wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 12:51 am
Wore this, with a good layering system on my recent trip to Iceland. -2/-3 temperatures with massive windchill. held up pretty good. My legs gave out way before I had any issues with my upper body.
Good to hear. I'm leaving for Iceland today and will be packing it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)