Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1572 posts
102 upvotes
New Westminster, BC

PARE Fitness Test Coming Up

I have a PARE fitness test coming up in 24 days. What's the best way to "pre"-PARE (jajajajaja)?
I just stopped working in a shipping and receiving department in a physically demanding job so I say that I am in better shape than the average joe. But still the extra edge helps.
Blood pressure 110/70. Resting heart rate 78.

I have seen the videos of people taking the PARE. I say the major thing I need to work on is the cardio aspect running, jumping, etc. I am not too worried about strength.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4107 posts
1543 upvotes
Ontario
look at everything they test you on and practice that until you are consistently beating the "pass mark". then you have nothing to worry about. my 2 cents.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
Stairs and burpees.

I've done it. I've passed it and I don't run unless it's to the door for pizza
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1572 posts
102 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Dark Phoenix wrote: Stairs and burpees.

I've done it. I've passed it and I don't run unless it's to the door for pizza
What are the little details I should be aware of? I was reading other forums and heard that for the vault jump you are allowed to touch the bar. You don't even have to jump if you are tall enough just as long as you get over it. Can you sit on it?
For the stairs, do you have to touch every step? For the mat jump, what if you touch a part of the mat at the end? So for any part that you don't complete cleanly like the touching hurdles and mat do they deduct time or do they make you do it again? Same for the pull and push arches.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
The bar - you can straddle if you need to
Stairs - can't remember how many you need to touch. But I wouldn't recommend jumping off them, you'll
Land hard
Touch the mat and they at 5 seconds to your tome.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1572 posts
102 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Dark Phoenix wrote: The bar - you can straddle if you need to
Stairs - can't remember how many you need to touch. But I wouldn't recommend jumping off them, you'll
Land hard
Touch the mat and they at 5 seconds to your tome.
Some testing centres offer practice sessions. Worth it? There are two things I can't replicate at home. I don't have a 3' high beam lying around for the vault jump nor do I have a push pull machine.
I am top heavy and I am finding the jumps to be the most challenging aspect.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2003
1879 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
The practice sessions are worth it, especially for the beep test. It's free, and you can get some pointers from the recruitment staff. If it's not too late to get in to one, go for it.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1572 posts
102 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
MadCow wrote: The practice sessions are worth it, especially for the beep test. It's free, and you can get some pointers from the recruitment staff. If it's not too late to get in to one, go for it.
Actually they offer the practice sessions for a fee of $65. This isn't the RCMP recruitment where I could see that happening.
The test is being administered by a private company. That's what I meant by worth it. Sure, I would go if it were free no doubt.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2003
1879 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
gelato69 wrote: Actually they offer the practice sessions for a fee of $65. This isn't the RCMP recruitment where I could see that happening.
The test is being administered by a private company. That's what I meant by worth it. Sure, I would go if it were free no doubt.
Toronto Police Services offer free practice runs once a month after you attended their General Information Session. Peel also offers free sessions, or so I am told. I have first hand experience with Toronto.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
Rcmp testing is different that toronto/peel etc.

And there is no beep test for the rcmp.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1572 posts
102 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
I replicated the PARE course as best I could but I obviously don't have a push-pull machine. My trial run was 3:30 which leaves plenty of time for the push-pull. I am confident I will pass. I still have 19 more days to train.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
1572 posts
102 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
I passed today with a time of 4:04 (includes 5 sec penalty). For anyone reading this in the future, some advice:
CARDIO! CARDIO! CARDIO!
I did a practice run a week before my test and got a time of 4:50 (includes 5 sec penalty). First thing you will realize is that this is an intense cardio test. I have seen buff guys not able to do it and I have seen girls less than 120 lbs. complete it. No individual component of the course is difficult. It is when it comes together that it becomes difficult. Any portion of the test that tests strength can be overcome by the vast majority of people with proper technique.
Guys: Unless you are scrawny as a stick you should spend the majority of your training time on cardio like 100%.
Girls: You are typically lighter than men so the cardio portion will be relatively easier. Where you might struggle is upper body strength. I say for training time spend 70% on cardio and 30% on upper body strength.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1876 posts
1480 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I did it a few years ago and was well under 2 minutes. If your in any sort of shape you should be able to pass it.