• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 10:04 am
[OP]
Jan 3, 2018
49 posts
7 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 9:02 pm
Our triplets have been sleeping through the night once they turned six months. They've been *mostly* consistent at this ever since, and are now over 2 yrs old. Since they're triplets, we make sure they all sleep at the same time, meaning we rock them to sleep. We'll rock all three to sleep, then carry them to their cribs. Consistency is everything.
Just curious - do you consider STTN 12 hours or 8 hours or 10?

Thanks,
J
Apr 14, 2015
508 posts
126 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
Jakinthe wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:08 am
We tried something called "crib hour" where you keep the baby in the crib for an hour for naps but the baby cries so much, it's heartbreaking and already cries at night. We feel like bad parents always making him cry. When will this get better? He napped 3 x 30 minutes today and looked exhausted the whole time, yawning and everything but refusing to sleep.
It’s tough. There are no guarantees anything will work. But you can try a few things. Swaddling can help, but it gets harder as they grow. You can leave the baby in the crib but sit beside and pat the back and sing. You can pick the baby up when they cry and hold or rock until they stop crying, then put them back in the crib, and keep picking them up an putting them back down until they just stay asleep. Whatever you choose, be consistent and plan to do it for several days. Keep a book with you in case the baby falls asleep and you’re trapped in the room because you are terrified a door squeak will wake them up.

And before you start sleep training, always stock up on ice cream.
May 8, 2009
2712 posts
874 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Jakinthe wrote:

Thanks,
J
10-12 hours. 8pm to 7am usually, so probably 11 hours on average.

I usually get six hours sleep. Tonight's the exception, where we all stay up and sing Kumbaya.

Got a gamepad for my phone, so there's no shortage of boredom busters :lol:
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Sep 3, 2013
674 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Jakinthe wrote:

Thanks,
J
A lot of sites define STTN as 5 hour stretch or more.

Can you post your entire routine? Are you following feeding after waking? I’ll PM you.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3037 posts
430 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Jakinthe wrote:

Thanks,
J
12 hours for us until around 10 years old. My kids are 13/11/5. The 13 y/o is now allowed to stay up until 2100 and wake up @ 0600. 11 y/o is 2030 bed w/u 0600. 5y/o is 1900-0700 the same schedule we had the other 2 on up until ~10 y/o.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1202 posts
226 upvotes
My son barely napped until about the age of 2.5, up until then we were lucky if he got two 30 minute naps throughout the day. He has always been an early riser no matter what time he went to bed and has always slept about 20% less than the "Normal child sleep patterns".
It sucks, but in the end some kids just don't sleep as much and some start to later on.
If it gives you any solace - children that sleep less as infants have statistically showed signs of giftedness. I thought it was hooey and told my wife to help bring some join to her sleep deprived life...tunrs out, our child is now in the gifted program.
Make what you will of that but the bottom line is, keep doing what you need to do (routine, bed at a reasonable time, keep trying for naps) - it'll all work out in the end.
Alex
Nov 13, 2013
815 posts
268 upvotes
OTTAWA
Jakinthe wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:07 am
YES I would love some input please.

Baby used to sleep OK but always nursed to sleep. Afterwards we learnt that that was a big no no and so sleep trained to stop the habit. He used to sleep on the breast too, and still does try to during the day, or anytime he is really sleepy (it seems to "refresh" him)

After more sleep training, it seems things are actually getting a little worse, even though the baby now sleeps 8-10 hours before waking for a feed.

1. He is ravenous at about 3:30-5am and drinks for half an hour (used to be a few minutes) and then needs another 20 minutes to fall back asleep - so it seems like this actually dents his sleeping quite a bit
2. He then wakes again after 3 hours, ravenous again
3. Now BF every 3 hours - seemingly really hungry each time. Used to go for 4 hours +
4. Always refuses to sleep/nap - well almost always. Cries at each nap and cries for 10 minutes at bedtime, unless someone goes in to sooth and put a comforting hand etc.
5. Sometimes wakes a few times the last few days during the night, just to cry until someone goes in and soothes
6. Is VERY overtired - has huge bags, motion is slower but still refuses to nap

7. I was told that for this age, wake times should be 2 hours then 2.25 hours (nap 2), 2.25 hours (nap 3) and 2.5 hours (bedtime)
But he fights the last nap in particular and cries at the first too - before sleep training, he was pretty good (didn't cry etc) and only fought the last nap.
8. IWehave no idea how to get him out of the overtired cycle, and not sure if we should try feeding him earlier in the night etc.

Basically we are both confused and my wife is frantic and down, which causes me a lot of stress too. Baby is beautiful and cheerful but we so want the baby to be well rested as well so he can thrive to his best. Any advice or tips or perspective would help.
There is a huge amount of variability depending on the baby and parents habits and routines. #7 is ridiculous. There is no way all babies should have anywhere near such a similar schedule.

We are on our third baby and none of them slept more than 5 hours in a row consistently before the age of 1. Even 18 months for the most part. We do some mild sleep training but generally try to avoid it which some will say is why our kids take longer to sleep all night. This is probably true but once they get to age 2 there isn't any issues with being scared in the night or coming to our room because sleep is comforting to them. Each family and for the most part mom needs to decide what works for them. Don't try to measure yourself against some standard.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2018
49 posts
7 upvotes
sherman51 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 7:55 am
My son barely napped until about the age of 2.5, up until then we were lucky if he got two 30 minute naps throughout the day. He has always been an early riser no matter what time he went to bed and has always slept about 20% less than the "Normal child sleep patterns".
It sucks, but in the end some kids just don't sleep as much and some start to later on.
If it gives you any solace - children that sleep less as infants have statistically showed signs of giftedness. I thought it was hooey and told my wife to help bring some join to her sleep deprived life...tunrs out, our child is now in the gifted program.
Make what you will of that but the bottom line is, keep doing what you need to do (routine, bed at a reasonable time, keep trying for naps) - it'll all work out in the end.
Thanks for the comforting words, sherman - our baby wouldn't nap if he didn't have to but he needs the breast for a "mini perk up" - like a supersonic fast power nap. It's weird. Was you son cranky or hyper without napping? Our one starts laughing a LOT!
[OP]
Jan 3, 2018
49 posts
7 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 3:13 am
10-12 hours. 8pm to 7am usually, so probably 11 hours on average.

I usually get six hours sleep. Tonight's the exception, where we all stay up and sing Kumbaya.

Got a gamepad for my phone, so there's no shortage of boredom busters :lol:
How lucky! My wife can't go back to sleep after night feeds so it gets her down having a max 4 hour wake time.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2018
49 posts
7 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 9:16 am
There is a huge amount of variability depending on the baby and parents habits and routines. #7 is ridiculous. There is no way all babies should have anywhere near such a similar schedule.

We are on our third baby and none of them slept more than 5 hours in a row consistently before the age of 1. Even 18 months for the most part. We do some mild sleep training but generally try to avoid it which some will say is why our kids take longer to sleep all night. This is probably true but once they get to age 2 there isn't any issues with being scared in the night or coming to our room because sleep is comforting to them. Each family and for the most part mom needs to decide what works for them. Don't try to measure yourself against some standard.
How do you know then when to put them down for a nap? Our boy doesn't want to sleep - is always exploring, playing, moving. But I also know he is tired.

Your last paragraphs are wise, and you are right, I worry I am creating some bad aversions, I just don't know how to turn back time on all this.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2018
49 posts
7 upvotes
Kayceern wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 6:46 am
A lot of sites define STTN as 5 hour stretch or more.

Can you post your entire routine? Are you following feeding after waking? I’ll PM you.
Thank you Kayceern:

Approximately this -

6:30-7:30 wake up (usually 12 hours after sleep time)
6:35-7:35 Breast feed 1 and diaper upon wake up

2 hours later - First nap
e.g. if we go by 7:30 wake up then

9:30 - 10 nap 1
10:30 BF 2
10-12:15 play time (sometimes gets solids during this time, sometimes later)
12:20-12:50 nap 2
12:50-15:05 play time including solids 1 (gets 2 servings of solids a day)
14:00 BF 3
17:00 BF 4
18:00 BF, night routine, sleep

It's kind of messed up but basically:

- Feeds every 3-4 hours. If there are no overnight feeds (during a 8-10 hour period) then baby likes to eat every 3 hours, otherwise every 4 hours is OK
- Diapers changed throughout day - whenever wet - including morning nappy has about 4-6 wet diapers a day
- Two servings of solids interspersed. Usually try to feed one hour after BF if possible
- We were told to stick to 2/2.25/2.25/2.5 in a very regimented way but basically the baby is just getting worse in sleeping and I think he has an aversion to the crib which is why he will come out of a nap and immediately jump up (no kidding) to "call us".
Sep 3, 2013
674 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Jakinthe wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 11:07 pm
- We were told to stick to 2/2.25/2.25/2.5 in a very regimented way but basically the baby is just getting worse in sleeping and I think he has an aversion to the crib which is why he will come out of a nap and immediately jump up (no kidding) to "call us".
That’s great that you’re not feeding to sleep - the most common prop. Do you rock to sleep or any other prop? Other than trying to extend awake time, I would also teach/help him get through the 30min sleep transition by doing wake to sleep. It could also be habitual. https://babywhispererforums.com/index.p ... c=223809.0

Also, maybe it’s an error but there must be a third nap there somewhere right? That’s a long time to be awake before bedtime.
Sep 3, 2013
674 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Other parents (worldwide) with same issue - https://babywhispererforums.com/index.p ... 0200.0;all

I did too. Pick up/put down didn’t work for us. I did WTS but didn’t work for weeks because of not enough awake (A) time. After I kept extending was when my baby finally slept from 30-37mins to 2+ hours. Tweak first nap first then tackle the next ones. If they had a good night sleep, the first A time is usually the longest because they’re well rested.
May 8, 2009
2712 posts
874 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Jakinthe wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 10:59 pm
How lucky! My wife can't go back to sleep after night feeds so it gets her down having a max 4 hour wake time.
My wife sleeps 8-9 hours per night now. Before ours reached six months, sleep was scarce and we'd nap whenever possible.
Jakinthe wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 11:01 pm
How do you know then when to put them down for a nap? Our boy doesn't want to sleep - is always exploring, playing, moving. But I also know he is tired.

Your last paragraphs are wise, and you are right, I worry I am creating some bad aversions, I just don't know how to turn back time on all this.
Rock 'em to sleep if you absolutely need a consistent routine. Honestly, we rock ours to sleep because we need them to all sleep at the same time. Warm milk usually helps 'em fall asleep. If it were a singleton, we'd probably let 'em nap whenever the kid wants to nap, then power-nap at the same time. With multiples, if you let them nap whenever, parents will never get the chance to nap.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Jan 3, 2018
49 posts
7 upvotes
Kayceern wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:07 am
That’s great that you’re not feeding to sleep - the most common prop. Do you rock to sleep or any other prop? Other than trying to extend awake time, I would also teach/help him get through the 30min sleep transition by doing wake to sleep. It could also be habitual. https://babywhispererforums.com/index.p ... c=223809.0

Also, maybe it’s an error but there must be a third nap there somewhere right? That’s a long time to be awake before bedtime.
Yes there is a third nap - oops missed it! It's abut 2.5 hours before bed time. Thanks for the tips, Kayceern. We will try it it out :smile: