Automotive

Parents Scammed at Dealership for Used Car. Signed, but Car Not Picked Up. What to do

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2010 3:55 pm
Nov 6, 2009
616 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Sales tactics is not a scam, when you walked into a store and see the entire store has a 50% off sign, do you think all the merchandise are really 50% off. $11.5 K for a 2002 Rav4 is a reasonable price, i don't see any scam here.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6098 posts
800 upvotes
Greely
dualsoul wrote:
Sep 30th, 2010 12:12 pm
last edited by dualsoul; sep 30th, 2010 at 12:21 pm. Reason: Better looking facepalm

lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7774 posts
1384 upvotes
your parents shouldnt sign contracts they have to pay off unless they know for sure what theyre getting back. this should be general economics 101 you'd expect a teenager to know.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
1362 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto

Really?

[IMG]http://imgur.com/1ES17.gif[/IMG]

No it wasn't a 'scam'. I was explaining how I even got to that wording you trolls.

:)

Have a Rin:
[IMG]http://imgur.com/dMF4Zl.jpg[/IMG]

A huge part of my decision making process when it comes to making deals comes down to trust, at least so far. A lot of the time it's just naive, but such is life. I'm getting around to it.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33903 posts
7813 upvotes
Ottawa
xaueious wrote:
Sep 30th, 2010 11:37 pm
Really?

No it wasn't a 'scam'. I was explaining how I even got to that wording you trolls.

A huge part of my decision making process when it comes to making deals comes down to trust, at least so far. A lot of the time it's just naive, but such is life. I'm getting around to it.
Us Trolls? You come here and post a story that in the end is full of holes.
You tried to blame someone else but you got shot down.
You start back peddaling as fast as you can to protect your family for making a poor choice
You make excuss for things you have posted and said.
and..... you call us Trolls? :facepalm: :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3553 posts
84 upvotes
xaueious wrote:
Sep 28th, 2010 12:42 am
My parents were at a local car dealership and signed for an as-is vehicle that was ridiculously priced and has an unresolved manufacturing fault issue (TSB) that will cost thousands of dollars to fix.

The price they signed in for is a scam. My parents don't know better.

Is there any protection for them or anything I could do other than to beg the manager to have the thing voided? The contract does say that the dealer has the right to void the contract.

A deposit was paid, but we are hoping for a refund on that as well. We have no intention of keeping the car.

How much am I allowed to reveal about the dealer's personal information?

Depending on how the details go, I will probably take measures to reveal this information.
xaueious wrote:
Sep 30th, 2010 11:37 pm

The title says scam, your OP says scam.
Who cares what connotations or meanings the word 'scam' has in some other language, this is an English forum.
RFD OT: Serious answers to stupid questions.
RFD Definition of 'troll': Someone whose opinion you don't like.
Oct 2, 2003
361 posts
5 upvotes
I think the appropriate word in vernacular English is "screwed". As in: "Parents Screwed at Dealership for Used Car".

So, yeah, your parents might be "screwed".

But, if your parents still have their money, and the dealership still has the car, I'm pretty sure if they back out thats the way things will stay. These people are in the business of selling cars, not suing people. They will likely make a lot of noise, but if your parents walk away and tell the dealer to go "screw" himself, I doubt there will be any real fallout beyond the lost deposit.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24384 posts
1618 upvotes
Markham, ON
OP was scammed...he thought RFD was full of carebears

instead he was taught a very valuable lesson
Jul 24, 2008
765 posts
27 upvotes
sorry i didn't have time to read the posts, but

"as is" at a dealership is interpreted by the courts as "this car has these xxxxx problems, but we won't fix them before selling so you will assume the responsibility for them.

it's not "oh, this car is pretty much ok, but its as is for legal reasons".
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3168 posts
536 upvotes
Water loo
quickinferno wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 4:22 pm
sorry i didn't have time to read the posts, but

"as is" at a dealership is interpreted by the courts as "this car has these xxxxx problems, but we won't fix them before selling so you will assume the responsibility for them.

it's not "oh, this car is pretty much ok, but its as is for legal reasons".
more like, the car is there - as it is. It could be in perfect tip top shape or it could be a rust bucket that falls apart when you open the door. You take that risk when you buy as-is.

as-is does not automatically mean there are problems.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6098 posts
800 upvotes
Greely
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 2:36 pm
op was scammed...he thought rfd was full of carebears

instead he was taught a very valuable lesson

lol