Parenting & Family

Parents with Two Young Children - What do you drive?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2013 8:15 am
Tags:
None
Jul 27, 2012
726 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
3 kids and a honda civic ;) My husband wants to get a new Odyssey soon though. However, I am content at the moment as I love small cars. We have a compact double stroller (city select) and able to fit 3 of the safest car seats in a row..I am happy.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
One is a dodge grand caravan
The other is a dodge grand caravan

Odysseys are good too, but much more expensive.

We used to have a santa fe and a mazda 6. We gave those up quickly because my son had trouble climbing into the santa fe and my back would hurt trying to tie in my 1 year old daugther into a baby seat in the Mazda, I'd be bending too low. Trying to take out my daugther in a parking lot with either of those cars was horrible because you couldn't fully open the doors as they'd hit the cars on the sides.

With the dodges, you have the sliding doors, you can climb in the car to tie up the kids if it's raining, once they can walk, they can climb in and out of the car without help and there is tons of space in the back for baby stroller + groceries or other stuff.
Aug 28, 2013
33 posts
9 upvotes
Port Perry
When I had one child, we had our SUV Acura MDX mainly because I didn't want a minivan to be the stereotypical "soccer mom". Then we got our Lexus RX when we had two children. We then replaced our MDX with Toyota Sienna and I must say, it looks great, sooo roomy, big screen for the kids to watch DVDs, roomy seats for all the kids... wish I had it years ago!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
IMO, the bottom line is if you want space, get a minivan. Most cars are usable with 2 kids but you're often cramped and if you are the type that has other people ride with you (we often do), a minivan is pretty much your only option (some SUVs have 3rd rows but they are not particularly usable compared to minivans). Sliding doors are awesome with kids. We used to have a Volvo wagon which was still quite roomy but it doesn't even compare with the minivan. My brother has a Suburban which is huge but I think the space in the minivan is much more usable (I haven't measured them but I believe the minivan actually does fit more stuff but if anything, it's much easier to use the space (sliding doors and rear is much lower)

We've had a 06 Sienna for almost 6 years now. It's not particularly good for gas but it's been reliable and problem free except for the power sliding doors which have broken a few times (although until now it's always been done on warranty) and the power rear folding seat (bad design breaks easily but can easily be fixed with a rubber band or a spring). We also have a 03 Kia Sedona - not a great car but they have no resale value so you can often get a used one for super cheap which might not be a bad option (although if you are looking to save, I think you are probably better off looking for used Grand Caravan). We also have a 97 Chrysler Sebring Convertible which I hate using with the kids cause it's 2 doors but it's not really worth anything so we're just keeping it and driving it into the ground. I try to only use it when I don't have the kids with me. Honestly, as far as driving, I think the Sienna and the Sedona drive better than the Sebring.