• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2014 7:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2646 posts
81 upvotes
mintchoco wrote: And are you suggesting kids should not walk to and from school on their own?
Yes. That is correct.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4646 posts
746 upvotes
deep wrote: Jane, your obsession with this topic goes so far beyond caring for kids it's frightening.
Agreed. There's caring and there's fear-mongering.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
1100 posts
395 upvotes
JaneDil wrote: What she failed to do was walk with a friend.
And if this creep was out to kidnap and murder her, he would have probably just gone for both of them or waited for another time when this girl was alone.

It's unfortunate what happened to the little girl, but seriously...

Of course "little" kids should never walk alone. But once they are in grade 4 or so...come on! I remember I was bussed in grade 4 by TDSB, but by grade 5 they just gave us TTC tickets and expected us to get to and from school ourselves. Have fun keeping your child in a bubble wrap.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
Ojam wrote: Janedil thread.
I was about to post that but decided not to start a flame war. Seriously what's with Janedil and these types of threads? It's like 1bagger over on the automotive forum posting anti-Japanese car threads or Pro-Americna car threads.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
As a parent of three I will admit this is terrible and a tragidy, well even if you arent a parent it can still hit close to home

But on the other side, Im not being a helicopter parent and protecting my kids from everything. This can happen to any child, and you have to put a limit where you let your children out of your protective forcefield and venture on their own.

Could more of been done to prevent this, maybe or maybe not. Defintly not a fault of the parent. Cant keep your kids in bubble wrap forever, whens the cut off age to just say do whatever. 16, 17, 18, when they leave the house?

Ill take my brand of parenting over over-protective helicopter parents like I have seen at every school.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1796 posts
332 upvotes
JaneDil wrote: Syne - please tell us what percentage of stranger child abductions that result in murder end up not involving sexual assault?

Please enlighten us.
JaneDil - please tell us what is the percentage of a stranger child abductions occurring every day as they walk to/from school.

Please enlighten us.

Hint: US has approximately 64 million students while Canada has about 5 million students in elementary/secondary. The typical school year lasts 188 days. So that's 25,944,000,000 (yes, 26 BILLION) students either going to school or going home every year. How many stranger child abductions happen every year out of that 26 BILLION number?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Ahhhhhh the sky is faaaalllllliiinnnnnnnggggggg

but seriously... get out your bubble wrap
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1505 upvotes
I'm confused. Is the guy the girl's parents' worst nightmare, or his own parents' worst nightmare?
Banned
Nov 2, 2012
2778 posts
473 upvotes
Hamilton
peanutz wrote: I'm confused. Is the guy the girl's parents' worst nightmare, or his own parents' worst nightmare?
Both.

I sometimes wonder whether parents actually believe that free-range parenting is good for kids,
or if they are just too lazy to actually parent their children.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
JaneDil wrote: Both.

I sometimes wonder whether parents actually believe that free-range parenting is good for kids,
OK you got me. I was the laziest parent ever and I'm lucky my three sons reached adulthood. :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2237 posts
143 upvotes
Why do you have internet? Your kids might find stories or pictures of stuff you dont want them to see. Get out from under the rock. Kids need to develop self confidence amongst other things and being able to venture out on their own develops these things.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
My 10 year old walks to school, goes to the corner store...just like every other 10 year old in the neighbourhood. I would hate to live in an area where you were afraid to let your kids venture outside without constant supervision.

Would it be terrible if something happened. Sure. Just as it would be terrible if they died in a car accident or from climbing a tree .....
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes

I sometimes wonder hwo helicopter parents think their kids will every live life without them after they graduate high school

I take your tone as condescending and you sound like a snobby mom who drives around in an Escalade that her hubby bought while she stays at home
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
nalababe wrote: My 10 year old walks to school, goes to the corner store...just like every other 10 year old in the neighbourhood. I would hate to live in an area where you were afraid to let your kids venture outside without constant supervision.

Would it be terrible if something happened. Sure. Just as it would be terrible if they died in a car accident or from climbing a tree .....
Agreed, seems many like the OP dont want kids to be kids. Climb a tree, ahhhhhhh
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes

lol, because unless you're a helicopter parent you're a horrible parent?

I sometimes wonder whether parents actually believe that helicopter parenting is good for kids, or if they are just too paranoid to actually let them off leash.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1091 upvotes

Wow. You have serious issues.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
nalababe wrote: My 10 year old walks to school, goes to the corner store...just like every other 10 year old in the neighbourhood. I would hate to live in an area where you were afraid to let your kids venture outside without constant supervision.

Ding! Ding! All the 70s and 80s, this was a big deal and fear. Even the movie, "The Lovely Bones" was depicted back then. Now if I had to pick an area that still reminded me of the 70's and 80s located somewhere West of Toronto in Ontario ...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)