Parking Lot Minor Fender Bender

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2018 10:39 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2278 posts
1888 upvotes

Parking Lot Minor Fender Bender

A friend of mine was backing out of her parking spot at the same time when another car started backing out as well. They both tapped and there was just a minor dent that can be pulled on the other car and minor scratch on hers that can be buffed out. They exchanged information but verbally agreed it was equal fault and with the minor damages to walk away and each deal with it on their own without insurance. I was a witness if that matters.

This happened on 12/30 and she called her insurance yesterday and there's no claim filed against her. If the other party decides to file, how long typically does it take for her insurance to receive the claim from the other party's insurance?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto, ON
There is the possibility that the car's bumper needs to be replaced. My replacement bumper was $2,200 when I was rear-ended. Just be aware that it always seems minor until the bill is 2x-3x more than what you thought.
Please respond
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1085 posts
900 upvotes
I've been told it's 2 years.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
Jigsaw wrote: I've been told it's 2 years.
I know 2 year is the limit for filing a claim. I think op is asking is there any time limit to file a collision happened?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
Why does it matter if the other party files?

It's a parking lot accident where both parties were reversing. It's a clear 50-50 fault here. If the other party files a claim they will end up with an at fault on their record. Your vehicle has damage that can just be buffed out - it's not like you'll be filing a claim anyways.

Trying to guess whether the other party will file is just going to drive you crazy. They could easily file a claim several months later. Or they could not file. You never know.
Banned
Jan 9, 2018
151 posts
55 upvotes
What if you were to file a claim saying it was hit and run? I mean the deductibles will be what you have to pay from your pocket, but everything else the insurance company pays. and as far as I know hit and run does not affect your insurance rates.