Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1851 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa

Parking Ticket Need Help

I need some help here. Yesterday I went to visit my sister as she ordered a pizza and wanted me to pick it up for her. So I did and went to her apartment. She lives in a building. So anyways I parked in from of the building door and it has no fire route signs, etc that you would normally see around buildings. So I parked there since I was coming back down in like 15 minutes or so. So when I come back down I got a parking ticket City of Ottawa at 22:35 (but not the one that prints out of a machine). Its like a normal one with pencil writing it seems. I got the ticket for unauthorized parking and early fine is $55 and set fine is $75. I realized after getting the ticket that on the dont know what its called but like wall part that is holding the building I suppose there was a P with a slash on it but was not a normal No Parking sign that is always attached to something else.

How can I fight this
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2005
1511 posts
49 upvotes
North York
Just pay it and move on.
It's not a moving violation so it won't affect your insurance.
Ebay: Magoo_416
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
masoud100 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 12:38 am
Yesterday I went to visit my sister as she ordered a pizza and wanted me to pick it up for her. So I did and went to her apartment.
How does this help the reader? What's the point? Just makes it longer to read IMO.

P.S. You broke the law fair and square. I hate it when people do this, in front of shopping stores in plazas, etc. Can cause so many problems. Just park in the street and walk 50 m. +1 to officer who ticketed.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5010 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
You can fight this ticket, but you won't win.

Either you are guility or you're not. Since you got the ticket on your car, you are obviously guilty. You have no excuse, saying that you didn't see the sign is no excuse.

That was one expensive pizza.

The best you can do is take a day off work to go to court and ask for a reduced fine. They will probably drop the fine to $30.

But in reality, is it worth taking time off work to save $25? No to mention that it will cost the tax payers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1851 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
Well the sign was not visible at all. Like it wasnt those type of signs that say fireroute, etc that stand on its own. This was just a letter P on the driver left side against the wall with a slash across it that nobody would see unless for some reason they turn their head away from the building. I am off all day tomorrow so I can just go in and say guilty with explanation probably.
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
masoud100 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 1:17 am
Well the sign was not visible at all. Like it wasnt those type of signs that say fireroute, etc that stand on its own. This was just a letter P on the driver left side against the wall with a slash across it that nobody would see unless for some reason they turn their head away from the building. I am off all day tomorrow so I can just go in and say guilty with explanation probably.
Do you need a sign to tell you not to park in front of a building, in a throughway, where cars are expected to pick up/drop off passengers?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1851 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
Well I know common sense. But I am talking about placing visible signs and the law here. I am not asking for what you feel morally should be done.
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
masoud100 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 1:24 am
Well I know common sense. But I am talking about placing visible signs and the law here. I am not asking for what you feel morally should be done.
Since it is private property, the city signs would not be there. It is up to the building management to put signs as they like. The issue is you have to convince the judge that you truly didn't know you may not park there, and I seriously doubt you can given you admit this is common sense. And judges go with common sense over BS.

I hate it when people know what's common sense, break the law/common sense, and then look for loopholes. Pathetic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1851 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
But why would city of ottawa be giving tickets to private property? I am 99% sure that not even a city of ottawa car came by and gave me a ticket there since I have never seen a city of ottawa car at night on the streets. I feel it was a private security person giving me a ticket. If I take it to court, and the parking ticket guy doesnt show up will I automatically win?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1708 posts
742 upvotes
Just make sure it is a REAL parking ticket.
Saw on the news the other night a tonne of FAKE tickets out there.
Be careful
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24985 posts
3016 upvotes
Hamilton
Private property -
Security Guard wrote that ticket

Good luck
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1786 upvotes
if it's not a city parking ticket, just ignore it
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11035 posts
1717 upvotes
shuffler wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 1:06 am
How does this help the reader? What's the point? Just makes it longer to read IMO.

P.S. You broke the law fair and square. I hate it when people do this, in front of shopping stores in plazas, etc. Can cause so many problems. Just park in the street and walk 50 m. +1 to officer who ticketed.
That's the best part of the post. That is one cheap and/or lazy sister!
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11182 posts
4400 upvotes
Toronto
masoud100 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 1:17 am
p.s. That sign means "No Parking"

Pay the $55 and move on.

You're welcome