Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto

Parking Ticket in Toronto after 9pm

I just got a parking ticket for parking on McCaul St. in Toronto at 12:35am (just after midnight). The spot is legal to park at, but the meters say it is enforced between something like 9am to 9pm (i'm not sure about the morning time, but Im positive the evening time is 9pm). Isn't it free parking outside of those hours?

I remember paying the meter once at 8pm and I paid for 2 hours, but the expiry time was 9pm. Does it mean its simply illegal to park after 9pm??

[This thread is about learning what the rules are, I know its not worth it to fight it]
14 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23409 posts
1106 upvotes
Markham, ON
you cannot park for more than 3 hours

Parking offences that do not require signs
The most common situations:

Offence No. on ticket Description Area for by-law
2 Park longer than 3 hours Toronto wide
11 Park more than 30cm from curb Toronto wide
12 Park vehicle for sale Toronto wide
14 Park obstruct driveway/lane way Toronto wide
15 Park 3 metres of fire hydrant Toronto wide
16 Park 9 metres of intersecting highway Toronto wide
24 Park taxi cab for hire-unauthorized location Toronto wide
26 Park on Boulevard North York,Scarborough,East York,Toronto
28 Park between 2am-6am--Dec 1 to Mar 31 North York
30 Stop on/over sidewalk/footpath Toronto wide
31 Stop roadside (parked/stopped) vehicle Toronto wide
48 Park left wheels to curb Toronto wide
57 Stop within intersection Toronto wide
58 Stop within 9 metres of crosswalk Toronto wide
65 Stop on bridge Toronto wide
70 Stop on centre strip Toronto wide

the dicks come and mark your tires and come back in 3 hours...to give you a ticket
Dec 4, 2003
601 posts
2 upvotes
I'm always confused around there and hey, that's my neck of the woods too.

All I can say is I would not park there after midnight.

I've seen a fleet of towtrucks empty the road of parked cars between Dundas and Queen at midnight sharp sometimes.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
62 upvotes
On a lot of residential streets, you need a permit to park between 12AM-7AM. Yes, I learned that the hard way too (only a ticket though)
Dec 15, 2001
724 posts
New York City
thelefteyeguy wrote: the dicks come and mark your tires and come back in 3 hours...to give you a ticket
I've always wondered about this -- what's to stop bored, restless punks from skipping along the street, marking everyone's tires?
Tharsan

"Trying is the first step towards failure"
- Homer Simpson

For Sale:
Various computer parts & peripherals

HeatWare [ 23-0-0 ]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1692 posts
36 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
tharsan wrote:I've always wondered about this -- what's to stop bored, restless punks from skipping along the street, marking everyone's tires?
nothing. but how is the driver going to get a ticket? the punks cannot write them.
Looking for an educational source to help pass your G1 written driving test? Check out DrivingTests101.com
It helped me pass my test and had a lot of great resources!
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2002
2654 posts
2 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:

these are interesting...so you cant park a car thats for sale?

and no parking on any boulevard in those areas....and you are suppose to stop 9m away from a cross walk when someone crosses?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
I guess I forgot to mention that I was there for only 1.5 hours and it was just above Elm St just north of the Michener Institute. I called the number on the ticket to inquire about it because I made sure I read all of the signs before I left the area. There were no signs that have a time limit or say you can't park after midnight. I got the ticket cancelled on the spot because in their records, it shows that I had a temporary license plate (one of those paper things in the window I guess) when I have an ordinary metal one. I no longer have to pay :)

Once that was settled, I asked the lady about where I parked and asked if it was actually legal to park there at that time (between 11pm - 12:30am), and she said yes.
thelefteyeguy wrote:you cannot park for more than 3 hours

11 Park more than 30cm from curb Toronto wide
14 Park obstruct driveway/lane way Toronto wide
15 Park 3 metres of fire hydrant Toronto wide
16 Park 9 metres of intersecting highway Toronto wide
24 Park taxi cab for hire-unauthorized location Toronto wide
28 Park between 2am-6am--Dec 1 to Mar 31 North York
30 Stop on/over sidewalk/footpath Toronto wide
31 Stop roadside (parked/stopped) vehicle Toronto wide
48 Park left wheels to curb Toronto wide
57 Stop within intersection Toronto wide
65 Stop on bridge Toronto wide
70 Stop on centre strip Toronto wide

the dicks come and mark your tires and come back in 3 hours...to give you a ticket
May 9, 2003
266 posts
hey,
I believe on that street in you cannot park there from 12am-7am,...
I remember always parking there in the day,...

robz
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3903 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
if it matters, I live around queen & bathurst and park on queen street very often. Saturday night it's free from 9pm to 1pm (sunday afternoon) and I've done that at least twice per month for the last year or so and never received a ticket.
I always tell friends to park on queen st. during the night (it's free from 9pm to 6am Sun-Fri) and again, no one has ever received a ticket.

It's well marked what the payable and non-payable times are.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7128 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
Sylvestre wrote:if it matters, I live around queen & bathurst and park on queen street very often. Saturday night it's free from 9pm to 1pm (sunday afternoon) and I've done that at least twice per month for the last year or so and never received a ticket.
I always tell friends to park on queen st. during the night (it's free from 9pm to 6am Sun-Fri) and again, no one has ever received a ticket.

It's well marked what the payable and non-payable times are.
3hr rule applies on any road, you COULD still get a ticket
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Mar 16, 2005
230 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote:you cannot park for more than 3 hours

I have heard of 3hr limit before but I did not know that it does not require signs. I wish this thread was started earlier, because I just got a parking ticket on that Friday for the very same reason.

/N
:mad:
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
183 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:3hr rule applies on any road, you COULD still get a ticket
In the City of Toronto, a three-hour limit exists on public roads where no other parking regulations are posted. Signs advising visitors to the city of this regulation are posted at the access points to the city and when exiting from a Provincial highway.

The three-hour limit is enforced by calling the Toronto Police Service, Parking Enforcement Unit at 416-808-6600. This regulation is only enforced upon request.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7128 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
gman wrote:In the City of Toronto, a three-hour limit exists on public roads where no other parking regulations are posted. Signs advising visitors to the city of this regulation are posted at the access points to the city and when exiting from a Provincial highway.

The three-hour limit is enforced by calling the Toronto Police Service, Parking Enforcement Unit at 416-808-6600. This regulation is only enforced upon request.
As far as the regulation being only enforce it is true on many of the unsigned streets in smaller neighborhoods.

however

park downtown all night and theres a good chance you can get a 3hr max ticket. They do this close to club district in particular
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.