Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 18, 2008
241 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga

Parking ticket worth fighting?

Hi all, I need some rationale from you folks.

While I take full responsibility of my actions and stupidity and am willing to pay my fine, I thought I would just like to run it by you folks.

So, I go to class at George Brown and there's usually no parking on Richmond Street in front of my building so I go around the block and park on Queen St. Richmond you can park from 9am (or something like that) up until 9pm provided you pay for parking. Well, I didn't look at the sign on Queen Street and you can only park there after 6pm.
It was 5:45pm and I had pulled over on Queen Street waiting for my class to start so I reclined my seat and relaxed a bit. After about 5 minutes of that, I put my seat upright only to find a cop car in my rear view mirror.
After a few minutes, he came up to me and tapped on the window and handed me a $60 parking ticket; he seemed surprised to find me in the car.

So, what I want to ask you folks - or perhaps I'm just being naive, I don't know: are there any rules/regulations that say the cop has to ask me to move first before handing me a ticket?

I know I'm trying to get out of the ticket because all the cop had to do was tap on the window and ask me to move to avoid it all but it was my fault that I didn't read the sign.

All feedback is appreciated. Thx.
16 replies
Apr 4, 2004
41 posts
Kanata
If your in the vehicle then your stopped, not parked.. Was it a no stopping zone??
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5476 posts
307 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
you broke a traffic congestion law. By leaving your car there, you're slowing down traffic around you.

However...file for a court date you won't see it until it's too late.
Regards,
--
m4gician
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help! Tweet or Email anytime!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
5466 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
specko wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 3:45 pm
If your in the vehicle then your stopped, not parked.. Was it a no stopping zone??
I agree.
You were given a ticket for the wrong offence.
One other thing, you should have not accepted the ticket from him and, if possible (without running him or anybody else over!), you should have driven away before he put it on your car.
My advice is request a trial, and take a photograph of the signs in the area you got the ticket. They might be useful if your case ever gets called.
Apr 19, 2004
662 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
because you were handed a $60 ticket I'm pretty sure that means you were in a no-stopping zone (not 100% sure though) and therefore you can be ticketed even if you're in the car...
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
specko wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 3:45 pm
If your in the vehicle then your stopped, not parked..
Parking by-laws in Ontario use the HTA definition of parking, so it does not matter if you are sitting in the car or not.

"park" or "parking", when prohibited, means the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except when standing temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or passengers;
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
151 upvotes
My question is, is it worth fighting for $60?

This won't impact your driving record or insurance. And not sure if you work, but $60 is definitely not worth taking a day off for. Especially when the net impact overall is literally $60, since $0 impact on insurance.

Personally, I would just pay the ticket and move on.

If you don't mind showing up, you can fight it. File for a court date, and perhaps your ticket will not even go to trial, as there are more serious infractions that need a trial date. It depends on how backlogged the system is.

I know I did this twice in Downtown Toronto, for Turning right from Yonge St to Queen St (when the sign says no right turns). I appealed for a court date, and I didn't even make it to trial both times, my ticket was thrown out. The officer even told me, just appeal it and we'll negotiate something at court if it gets there. So I followed his advice. Fortunately there was a court back log, and I escaped the system scot free. lol

I did fight a parking ticket once, and the ticketing officer showed up in court. I argued my case of non-clear signs, and also stated I have a clean driving record and would have obeyed the signs had they been more clear, then showed a record of my drivers abstract. The judge showed leniency and stated since this is your first offence, I will just let you off with a warning. But who knows if you'll be as lucky
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1579 posts
33 upvotes
Etobicoke
fight it; for the benefit of yourself and others

i have yet to receive a court date for my xx number of parking tickets
Kherani wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 2:30 pm
I'm getting my learners permit soon, and I understand that you need to do a written test. Whenever I ask my older friends about it, they tell me to read "the book". What is this book they're referring to?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
tyfriend wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 11:27 pm
fight it; for the benefit of yourself and others

i have yet to receive a court date for my xx number of parking tickets
lol, says the guy who has X amount of tickets. you must be doing something wrong.

I got myself a $30 ticket last week. I was thinking of fighting it (had good reasons, proof, etc) but I just thought it wasn't worth my time at all.

log online and pay it off now.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
pinkcess wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 3:31 pm
So, what I want to ask you folks - or perhaps I'm just being naive, I don't know: are there any rules/regulations that say the cop has to ask me to move first before handing me a ticket?

I know I'm trying to get out of the ticket because all the cop had to do was tap on the window and ask me to move to avoid it all but it was my fault that I didn't read the sign.

All feedback is appreciated. Thx.

We can ticket ANY vehicle that is committing an offence regardless of who is present or if they have the engine running. Now generally if the driver is present, I just ask him to move the vehicle and I go on my way. However it would be perfectly legal to issue a tag under both of those circumstances. It sounds like the officer finished the ticket before realizing the OP was present. Because it is a hassle to cancel a ticket once it's printed, he probably decided to serve it because it was easier than voiding it.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
Jimbobs wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 7:44 pm
I agree.
You were given a ticket for the wrong offence.
One other thing, you should have not accepted the ticket from him and, if possible (without running him or anybody else over!), you should have driven away before he put it on your car.
Don't quit your day job to become a paralegal, you don't have a clue what you are talking about. We don't need anybody to "accept" any ticket we write. All we have to do is touch the car with it and that's it, it is considered served, even if it falls to the ground as you drive away. Also since tickets are computer generated now, they end up in the system anyhow so it would just arrive in the mail and be even more expensive than if you had just "accepted" it on the spot.
Jimbobs wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 7:44 pm
My advice is request a trial, and take a photograph of the signs in the area you got the ticket. They might be useful if your case ever gets called.
Photographs are nice in court but unless they are taken at the time of the offence, the prosecutor will likely have them excluded.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
Crinkle_cut wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 11:01 pm
My question is, is it worth fighting for $60?
The only person who can answer that question is the one who got the ticket and the solution will be different for everyone.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
It is worth fighting because they'll reduce it for you. Just for contesting it and showing up for the meeting, they'll shave half of it off and you can push them further sometimes. I got a $25 parking ticket one time and pushed it down to $5. I didn't miss a day of work either. I simply made an appointment first thing in the morning. You'll probably not be able to make it go away but at least you'll reduce the amount owing. The reason why they compromise so easily and give you a discount is because if the matter goes to trial (if it does end up getting there, Toronto for example has a terrible backlog and a lot of tickets were dismissed because they were taking too long to get to trial), they're often losing money. Even with the court costs they're still underwater. Hence, they're better off collecting something as oppose to nothing even if it's a much smaller amount than the original ticket.
Lior Hershkovitz
Broker at Mortgage Edge, specializes in construction financing and private lending
Construction rates start p+2.5%, 2nd mortgage start 5.99%, private financing start 7% max. 95% LTV
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1579 posts
33 upvotes
Etobicoke
DLFB wrote:
Oct 24th, 2009 12:03 am
lol, says the guy who has X amount of tickets. you must be doing something wrong.

I got myself a $30 ticket last week. I was thinking of fighting it (had good reasons, proof, etc) but I just thought it wasn't worth my time at all.

log online and pay it off now.
I lol at you sheep who stand in line to give the city $30 dollars

I flex my civic rights and I spend no more time disputing the ticket than you do paying
Kherani wrote:
Dec 26th, 2009 2:30 pm
I'm getting my learners permit soon, and I understand that you need to do a written test. Whenever I ask my older friends about it, they tell me to read "the book". What is this book they're referring to?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
tyfriend wrote:
Oct 24th, 2009 3:07 pm
I lol at you sheep who stand in line to give the city $30 dollars

I flex my civic rights and I spend no more time disputing the ticket than you do paying
:lol:

So is it wrong to obey the law then?

Xx amount of tickets...get out of here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you're sounding like a damn fool right now.
× < >