• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2011 2:29 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 28, 2011
253 posts
11 upvotes

Parking tickets- worth fighting?

I've recently got a $60 ticket for parking between those signs that come in sets of 2 that read "no standing" and there are times listed below. the times were "7-9am and 4-6pm", so i just figured i cant park there during those times. As it was 11pm, I parked there, and an hour later got the ticket.

What do those times mean? I figured you can't park there only during those times, but apparently not.

Anyway, should I just pay the fine or should I take it to court - would I even have a chance?

I know there are some people who will say take everything to court, you never know what might happen, but from a realistic point of view, is it worth it? has anyone gotten a parking ticket thrown out?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5722 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
Really your choice, you parked illegally, and while some may say "fight every ticket", I'd say "what's you time worth??"

It also doesn't affect insurance, I'd pay and move on with life.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6103 posts
703 upvotes
Insomniac05 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2011 5:31 pm
I've recently got a $60 ticket for parking between those signs that come in sets of 2 that read "no standing" and there are times listed below. the times were "7-9am and 4-6pm", so i just figured i cant park there during those times. As it was 11pm, I parked there, and an hour later got the ticket.

What do those times mean? I figured you can't park there only during those times, but apparently not.

Anyway, should I just pay the fine or should I take it to court - would I even have a chance?

I know there are some people who will say take everything to court, you never know what might happen, but from a realistic point of view, is it worth it? has anyone gotten a parking ticket thrown out?

I fought mine

$60 lowered to $15. Prosecutor was hot too.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
Insomniac05 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2011 5:31 pm

Based on what you described, you have a good chance to win.
Can you post the address where you got your ticket?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
[OP]
Mar 28, 2011
253 posts
11 upvotes
5418 Yonge St (outside Buda Cafe)

did commit the parking infraction of (Code No. 8)
STAND SIGNED HIGHWAY DURING PROHIBITED (TIMES/DAYS)

Comments:
NO STANDING

I also have pictures i took from both sides, albeit blurry (camera phone)

I don't get the times? are they when you are ALLOWED to stand there or when you AERN'T allowed to? it only shows the times and that's it -.-
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
Yes it is.

I got a parking ticket in 2008, $30.

Option (3), plead not guilty.

Never heard from them since then.

+1
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
1829 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
Insomniac05 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2011 2:44 am
5418 Yonge St (outside Buda Cafe)

did commit the parking infraction of (Code No. 8)
STAND SIGNED HIGHWAY DURING PROHIBITED (TIMES/DAYS)

Comments:
NO STANDING

I also have pictures i took from both sides, albeit blurry (camera phone)

I don't get the times? are they when you are ALLOWED to stand there or when you AERN'T allowed to? it only shows the times and that's it -.-

The ticket was legitimate and if you try to fight it with the expectation of winning you will be disappointed. The time restrictions you are referring to are listed on the No Stopping signs. You were ticketed for disobeying the No Standing signs which are enforced 24/7. Those are two completely separate offences. I linked to Google Street View where you were ticketed so you can see for yourself. Notice that there are TWO signs on each pole: a No Stopping 7am-9am 4pm-6pm Mon-Fri sign and above that a No Standing sign with no time restrictions. The No Stopping signs are posted all along that entire section of Yonge Street to keep the streets clear of parked vehicles during rush hour in the morning and afternoon. The No Standing signs are posted only at the transit stop to keep it clear of vehicles so that buses can pull right up to the curb to pick up and drop off passengers. If you parked in front of the cafe like you said then you were completely blocking the transit stop and deserved to get that ticket. Is this really so complicated that you can't tell the difference between two clearly posted signs written in English?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=5418+Yonge ... 03,,2,1.23
[OP]
Mar 28, 2011
253 posts
11 upvotes
Fox1971 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2011 9:35 am
The ticket was legitimate and if you try to fight it with the expectation of winning you will be disappointed. The time restrictions you are referring to are listed on the No Stopping signs. You were ticketed for disobeying the No Standing signs which are enforced 24/7. Those are two completely separate offences. I linked to Google Street View where you were ticketed so you can see for yourself. Notice that there are TWO signs on each pole: a No Stopping 7am-9am 4pm-6pm Mon-Fri sign and above that a No Standing sign with no time restrictions. The No Stopping signs are posted all along that entire section of Yonge Street to keep the streets clear of parked vehicles during rush hour in the morning and afternoon. The No Standing signs are posted only at the transit stop to keep it clear of vehicles so that buses can pull right up to the curb to pick up and drop off passengers. If you parked in front of the cafe like you said then you were completely blocking the transit stop and deserved to get that ticket. Is this really so complicated that you can't tell the difference between two clearly posted signs written in English?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=5418+Yonge ... 03,,2,1.23

The 1st sign wasn't written in anything. I didn't have an hour to analyze the signs, I had a look and associated the 2 signs with each other.
And having looked at the link on the last reply (thanks for that), all these standing, parking, and stopping signs are all the fkn same. They should just combine them into one BIG sign that clearly states "don't park your s**t here or you're gonna get slapped with a motherf**king ticket" > :(
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6103 posts
703 upvotes
longitude wrote:
Apr 25th, 2011 8:06 am
Yes it is.

I got a parking ticket in 2008, $30.

Option (3), plead not guilty.

Never heard from them since then.

+1

+5

I got 5 x $30 and never heard from them ever again

the $60 and $40 came in the mail with a court date though.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5805 posts
494 upvotes
London
Insomniac05 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2011 2:22 pm
The 1st sign wasn't written in anything. I didn't have an hour to analyze the signs, I had a look and associated the 2 signs with each other.
And having looked at the link on the last reply (thanks for that), all these standing, parking, and stopping signs are all the fkn same. They should just combine them into one BIG sign that clearly states "don't park your s**t here or you're gonna get slapped with a motherf**king ticket" > :(

I would agree that 'No Standing' doesn't make much sense, but either way, there is a difference between 'standing' and 'stopping' (see my last post). Either way, if the time conditions state no stopping, OR no standing, both also imply an enforced NO PARKING...
× < >