Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga

Which part of Maui did you stay at?

Which part of Maui did you stay at, and did you love it? We are having a tough time choosing between Kaanapali and Kihei.

We are booked for a resort in Kaanapali area because we want the resort-like experience and open spaces and right on the beach. I hear that everything and everyone in this part is geared for tourists. More 'old folks' stay in this area...

However, now Im wondering if we should stay in Kihei. I hear Kihei is more real with lots of great places to eat close by and more easygoing. However roads are very congested, and too many condos and such. This section is very crowded...
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
47 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
Both have a lot of condos going up and getting congested.

But Kaanapali is more tourisy. Lahaina also gets lots of cruise people, and some do go to beaches in Kaanapali. Kihei is far enough from both Kaanapali and Kahului, so don't really get cruise people swamping the place. There are also lots of boats from Kihei and further south, to Molokiki for a great diving/snorkeling experience. OTOH the black sand beach at Kaanapali is great, and has good shore snorkeling.

Both places will be great.

Maui has lots to do/see. Road to Hana. Mount Haleakala. Iao Needle, Molokini. Whale watching in winter. Old Lahaina luau. The drive from Lahaina north to Kahului is just beautiful (but only good drivers should do that). You'll be in paradise.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
So far planning the Lahaina Luau and a waterfall excursion. Not sure about the Road To Hana, heard the road was beautiful but not sure if we'll be able to handle the cliffside bumpy windy roads...

Didn't realize the cruise port is in Lahaina which is about 10 mins from the resort we booked...
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
Kapalua. [some would argue it is not an area per se but easier for some]
Left rfd
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
5000 posts
611 upvotes
Victoria
The attraction of Kihei is the beaches and the dry weather. Kihei is a desert and the beaches are nice and wide and there's lots of decent snorkeling right off the beach. If you do go for Kihei the best spots are near the Kamaeole beach parks (I,II, or III). Can't really go wrong with either place but I do prefer Kihei because it's almost guaranteed not to rain and it's good for kids.
Not a political sig
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
c_snapper wrote: Wailea FTW
while the Grand is nice, we wouldn't stay in that area....we'd return to Kaapanali or further up the coast.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Stayed in Kaanapali...d

Your demographic will depend on where you are staying. At the Westin Villas, it was filled with Families. Kids were everywhere.

At the Hyatt, there were kids, but the clientele as a whole was older.

Liked being close to Lahaina as we went in several times.

We didn't bother with the road to Hana. Too much in the car for the kids. Did go see the blowhole and the ovaline pools. Kids had a blast...though keep in mind there is no formal trail down, so you are climbing down the rocks (that beind said, we did it with the baby strapped in the baby bjorn).

We prefered the Feast at Lele. It is not a buffet so if you are going for that don't bother. The food was also from across Polynesia...but it was table served and a nice mix (they also created the dishes with fish instead of other meats specially for my wife). Show was also a mix (i.e. you get the fire dances...).

If you want a customer tour (history, music, animals, scenery) we loved: Open Eye Tours & Photos.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Raggie wrote: So far planning the Lahaina Luau and a waterfall excursion. Not sure about the Road To Hana, heard the road was beautiful but not sure if we'll be able to handle the cliffside bumpy windy roads...

Didn't realize the cruise port is in Lahaina which is about 10 mins from the resort we booked...
Was there when several cruise ships arrived...wasn't a big deal. These were not the 5000 room cruise ships.

If you don't want to take the long time to do Hana...then go the other way to see the blow hole and ovaline pools. Also, sunrise up Haleakala was stunning...if you do it early on your trip you are still jet lagged, so getting up at 3 AM to drive won't be a big deal. If you do go, it will be cold (not just chilly): Long pants, sweater, jacket. Well worth it.

Really like the whale foundation tours... very educational for the kids.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Okay thanks. Will look into all these pointers.

We're renting a private condo in a resort called Maui Kaanapali Villas, about 10 mins from Lahaina.
Sep 8, 2006
351 posts
25 upvotes
Raggie wrote: Not sure about the Road To Hana, heard the road was beautiful but not sure if we'll be able to handle the cliffside bumpy windy roads...
The road is not bumpy at all - it is well-maintained black-top. It does wind around the cliffside, however, affording awesome views. Everyone drives it quite slowly (everyone is enjoying the views), so I doubt you will get sick.

There is a CD that you can get that gives you commentary along the trip...

Regarding where to stay, we were in S. Kihei and quite enjoyed it there. Lots of restaurants and good beaches. We loved that chain Maui Tacos.... Seems like Kihei is frequented more by the seasonal folks / regulars...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: So far planning the Lahaina Luau and a waterfall excursion. Not sure about the Road To Hana, heard the road was beautiful but not sure if we'll be able to handle the cliffside bumpy windy roads...
The Old Lahaina luau is considered the most authentic luaus around. But it's expensive and usually sold out in advance. So book it sooner than later.

The Road to Hana is actually quite easy drive. There is not the dangerous Cliffside drives. It is windy and has quite a few one-lane bridges. There are lots of places you'd want to stop and go enjoy the scenery, watch the surfers, or the little hikes to the falls or other attractions. We did buy the CD that gives narrations of the various stops along the way.

If you go beyond Hana to do the circle to get back, then there is a stretch of road that is Cliffside. If you happened to drive that when the late afternoon sun is shining into the eyes, it can be challenging drive. Other than that, the drive, round the circle, is quite good.
Jan 20, 2007
168 posts
9 upvotes
Loved S Kihei, kamekaole beach III, private condo, beach view (groceries at Costco), walking distance to restaurants. A must to see sights a rental car!! Beach town of Paia then further up the highway to see Jaws (major waves, int'l surfers), SNUBA up at Sheraton, Ululani's Shave Ice,Horhito's Mobile Taquerita, Coconuts Fish Cafe..........sunset get togethers in the park......warm weather, clean beaches....bliss!!
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
wannaCRV wrote: Loved S Kihei, kamekaole beach III, private condo, beach view (groceries at Costco), walking distance to restaurants. A must to see sights a rental car!! Beach town of Paia then further up the highway to see Jaws (major waves, int'l surfers), SNUBA up at Sheraton, Ululani's Shave Ice,Horhito's Mobile Taquerita, Coconuts Fish Cafe..........sunset get togethers in the park......warm weather, clean beaches....bliss!!
Coconuts has the best fish tacos ever...
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
wannaCRV wrote: Loved S Kihei, kamekaole beach III, private condo, beach view (groceries at Costco), walking distance to restaurants. A must to see sights a rental car!! Beach town of Paia then further up the highway to see Jaws (major waves, int'l surfers), SNUBA up at Sheraton, Ululani's Shave Ice,Horhito's Mobile Taquerita, Coconuts Fish Cafe..........sunset get togethers in the park......warm weather, clean beaches....bliss!!
It is heaven. Such a wonderful place.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Okay maybe we'll have to split our stay - five days in Kaanapali, five days in Kihei...
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
c_snapper wrote: Wailea FTW
+1..less busy than the other areas of Kihei, but more expensive..if you can afford it, it's a great place to stay.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11976 posts
3168 upvotes
Edmonton
Raggie wrote: Okay maybe we'll have to split our stay - five days in Kaanapali, five days in Kihei...

That's what we did, a week in Kaanapali at the Westin, and a few nights at the Fairmont in Kihei.

It's nice to be on the northwest shore for the start of the trip, allows you to do more of the long distance travel things, the extra drive to/from there every day if you are going to other parts of the island can get tiring. That way on the latter part of the trip you can relax and enjoy the beach a bit more with less sightseeing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Bumping my old thread...

Can some of you list some secret beaches in Maui? So far I was just browsing about Maui and came upon Slaughter House Beach... Now I'd like to check out a couple more secret beaches.