Part time vs Full time

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 10:55 am
[OP]
May 3, 2016
241 posts
16 upvotes

Part time vs Full time

How do you draw a line between a Part time and a Full time job? Is it by the number of hours worked in a week?

In BC, is there a law that distinguishes between the two, where, a full time employee is entitled to certain benefits (paid vacation, sick days, etc) that a part time employee won't have?

There's a job posting I'd want to apply but it says "this job can be 4-5 days a week, 8am - 3pm". Wondering if it's a full time position (that comes with benefits) or not.
27 replies
Nov 26, 2016
84 posts
4 upvotes
Idk. but if you apply and you get an interview you would probably find out. All I know is full-time is usually 5 days 8 hour shifts~40 h a week or 37.5h (not including lunch breaks)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4793 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
Full time is more of a guarantee of hours typically 35-40. Part time usually doesn't have guaranteed hours although it's possible with a union.

I think "can be" hints part time with 30 hour weeks.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Aug 2, 2012
558 posts
198 upvotes
1: the distinction tends to be defined by the employer

2: with many employers - and retail definitely falls into this category - the route to a full-time position is through starting with a part-time job

3: I would be surprised if any province had legislation mandating when benefits must be provided. Vacation entitlement, yes, and Ontario will soon make it mandatory for part-timers and full-timers to get the same hourly rate and to have some paid sick/emergency leave days.
[OP]
May 3, 2016
241 posts
16 upvotes
EmpCouns wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 11:06 pm
1: the distinction tends to be defined by the employer

2: with many employers - and retail definitely falls into this category - the route to a full-time position is through starting with a part-time job

3: I would be surprised if any province had legislation mandating when benefits must be provided. Vacation entitlement, yes, and Ontario will soon make it mandatory for part-timers and full-timers to get the same hourly rate and to have some paid sick/emergency leave days.
Thanks for your reply. So, part time workers are not protected in anyway in terms of benefits and usually get paid a lower hourly rate than full time ones. Lucky Ontario!

I actually don't mind earning a hourly wage but it's good to have health coverage and vacation, a better sense of belongingness in general. Is that indeed good for the employer too? Wondering why employers prefer to hire part time workers more.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3290 posts
262 upvotes
Calgary
Because they can adjust hours for part-time and don't have to cover benefits. If you are full time they have to provide you those hours (35+) and cover benefits. Many employers will see the cost outweighing the "better sense of belongingness".
[OP]
May 3, 2016
241 posts
16 upvotes
I'm not working now. Then is it a good strategy to start a part time job and quit for a full time one vs just wait to get employed as a full time employee?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3290 posts
262 upvotes
Calgary
wyho007 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 3:35 pm
I'm not working now. Then is it a good strategy to start a part time job and quit for a full time one vs just wait to get employed as a full time employee?
Yes. Being employed is generally considered better than being unemployed.
Nov 6, 2015
474 posts
147 upvotes
Guelph, ON
wyho007 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 3:35 pm
I'd be genuinely interested in hearing the rationale of anyone who didn't think that was the better strategy.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2107 posts
347 upvotes
Edmonton
JoeBlack23 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 12:51 am
I'd be genuinely interested in hearing the rationale of anyone who didn't think that was the better strategy.
I guess I might as well speak up, I would prefer a part time gig. Think of it this way, change of scenery, get to change jobs more often without worrying about it. Take time off when you want. Work side jobs on time off. There is another post regarding the "gig economy". I am firmly against full time and have been for years.

You like your two to 4 weeks vacation? Great. I like my 0-6 months vacation. I don't have to ask for it, I just take it. If I don't want vacation I just keep working
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
May 3, 2016
241 posts
16 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 3:37 am
I guess I might as well speak up, I would prefer a part time gig. Think of it this way, change of scenery, get to change jobs more often without worrying about it. Take time off when you want. Work side jobs on time off. There is another post regarding the "gig economy". I am firmly against full time and have been for years.

You like your two to 4 weeks vacation? Great. I like my 0-6 months vacation. I don't have to ask for it, I just take it. If I don't want vacation I just keep working
It really sounds nice indeed. But wouldn't the medical costs be a jeopardizing factor since you don't get extended health coverage at your part time job? Or, is it possible to get health benefits working part time?

I don't care to climb up the career ladder but somehow I can't get around the fact that it seems the equivalent hourly rate of a full time job is really close to that of a part time job when the latter has no health coverage and other benefits.

I'm not familiar with working part time so appreciate if you can say more how it's like working part time.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4793 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote:

I think the PT work this thread pertains to is the lower paying jobs instead of contract work, where in some cases the scheduled shifts are a fraction of the total availability. But technically you're correct and if you can work like that, trumps FT work.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4756 posts
406 upvotes
Scarborough
Probably a parttime job with no benefits. Thats what it sounds like....they will offer u more hours but keep u in parttime category so u get no benefits at all but work close to fulltime.
Thats how majority of employers treating new hires. They give u 6 hrs per day so u cant take up another job due to scheduling but they dont give u vacation or benefits. They will then ask u if u still want it, and many desperate ppl will take it.
Welcome to Canada, where most jobs parttime no benefits but just slaves they need. Immigration ensures plenty of applicants for every shity job
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4756 posts
406 upvotes
Scarborough
tmkf_patryk wrote:

How do u pay rent, food, etc unless u live with earning family or super rich?

Do u realize most ppl cant afford to live on parttime gigs? Whats your other supporting system ?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4862 posts
937 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Usually it's by hours/week, throughout a bi-weekly pay period. per week, <35 is part time, >35 is full time.

But the definition of full-time vs. part-time can differ depending on who is referencing it for irregular work schedules/compressed work weeks.

For payroll purposes, something like a one week on, one week off schedule, where the week on is 12 hrs/day; 84 hours for the week - would equate to "full time", as you're averaging 42 hours/week of work. But you would still receive EI on the week off if you have a claim ongoing, as you're technically not working >=35 hours/week every week.