• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2015 7:26 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 5, 2006
539 posts
Brampton
Hi there,

Anybody have a list of tips they can provide to ALWAYS pass the emissions test ... tipping included! :D Or maybe know of a place?

Are the tests stricter now? Is there a link out there with the requirements and/or what happens if you fail?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
45 upvotes
Kingston
Narci wrote:doesn't that defeat the purpose of having an emissions test in the first place if you circumvent it's usefulness?
What's your point? He's just trying to avoid the tax.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
8807 posts
112 upvotes
HappyGoLucky wrote:Hi there,

Anybody have a list of tips they can provide to ALWAYS pass the emissions test ... tipping included! :D Or maybe know of a place?

Are the tests stricter now? Is there a link out there with the requirements and/or what happens if you fail?

Thanks!
Maintain your car well! :p

Just did an emissions test this morning actually heh..

39ppm HC and 0.13% CO. (200/1% was the limit)
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1339 posts
11 upvotes
i failed noooooooooo!!!

says my CO is too high.
[OP]
Aug 6, 2005
397 posts
1 upvote
well since i opened the thread i passed, it should be easy! just buy the bottle run the car on the highway for a while, burn off the full tank of gas, and then refill with a new tank of gas 91 octane preferabely. Do an oil change before all this basic tune up and it should pass. but ya its just another tax grab for the government.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
2791 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga
phillbert wrote:i failed noooooooooo!!!

says my CO is too high.
did it fail by alot?

i recently failed got a CO% of 10% and max is 1% :lol:

the cat. converter was completely gone...got a new one with a new o2 sensor...and guess what i got after...?

.1% CO :D

to check if ur cat. coverter is gone...go in to neutral or P and rev to around 2k-3.5k and leave ur door open and see if u hear a RATTLING noise coming from under the car thats the cat...
:arrow: :arrowl:
Jul 5, 2004
21390 posts
1585 upvotes
Narci wrote:Like i said, whats the point of an emission test if all people do is buy a bottle of something, pass for a day and go on polluting afterwards?
Don't kid yourself. The E-test isn't to reduce pollution, it's just a cash grab by the Ontario government, nothing more!

If there wasn't money to be made off the E-test, it wouldn't exist.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1339 posts
11 upvotes
jaigandhi5 wrote:did it fail by alot?

i recently failed got a CO% of 10% and max is 1% :lol:

the cat. converter was completely gone...got a new one with a new o2 sensor...and guess what i got after...?

.1% CO :D

to check if ur cat. coverter is gone...go in to neutral or P and rev to around 2k-3.5k and leave ur door open and see if u hear a RATTLING noise coming from under the car thats the cat...
i hit 2.75%, i do think my cat is gone though. these things are pretty pricey. including the o2 sensor.

guess it beats spending $90+ for gas a week.
May 9, 2003
266 posts
e-tests - oh boy,...

1. that guaranteed pass will work if all conditions are met in the fine print,
but then again - if all the conditions were met you wouldn't need that tuff,...

2. the running your car at a high speend for at least 15-20 mins (getting it really hott) is a great trick to do, just go somewhere where they take it in right away (unlike [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]canadian tire[/rfdlink] - it's probably their trick - let the car cool down, make a few more bucks)

3. certain cars have certain tricks to pass if that's all your looking for, but it's best to have your car running at it's best not only to save on gas, but for the environment

you can always get the printout of what your car needs (approx $80)

thank you and good luck,

robz
Aug 31, 2004
518 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa
dalinxz wrote:
Jun 14th, 2006 12:14 pm
well since i opened the thread i passed, it should be easy! just buy the bottle run the car on the highway for a while, burn off the full tank of gas, and then refill with a new tank of gas 91 octane preferabely. Do an oil change before all this basic tune up and it should pass. but ya its just another tax grab for the government.
My car failed the NO portion of the e test. Used a bottle of "Guaranteed to Pass" in a full tank of gas, ran it 350 kms or so, refilled with ethanol and gas mixture. Took another e test at a different location (on the basis that there was inaccurate test equipment at first location) and the NO was under the limit. First test NO - 1068, limit 764, second test NO - 746 which is consistent with all other tests of previous years.

The e test is an Ontario tax grab.
Banned
Dec 24, 2004
10708 posts
148 upvotes
+1
Air Canada Aeroplan Super Elite Reservations: 1-800-401-7201 or 514-369-7598
get unlimited calls or other discounts by calling directly to:
Fido Retentions: call 611 then push 7, then push 3 - or Rogers Retentions 1-514-734-7873 or 1-866-228-7109
Telus Mobility: 1-877-279-3100 or 416-279-3100 or 1 416 296 7669 client.loyalty@telus.com
Bell Mobility: 1-866-313-1086
nice chairs http://www.eternitymodern.ca
great value - lol http://www.walmart.ca
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19880 posts
1517 upvotes
dalinxz wrote:
Oct 30th, 2005 11:50 pm
the part about having the car running for at least 45 minutes before you take the test is true and if im not mistaken the mechanic is supposed to tell you to warm it up before you bring it in because for the catalytic converter to work it must get hot and i think its the heat that burns off the bad hydrocarbons or whatnot.
Hydrocarbons and whatnot? LOL. Perhaps you should read up on the operation of a catalytic converter and what it does?

You should drive the car for about 10-30mins to get it up to normal operating temperature, yes but not exactly for the reason you stated.
dalinxz wrote:
Oct 30th, 2005 11:50 pm
Also this product has reviews all over the internet and all the reviews are good and they work, its supposed to basically kill all the charcoal in the engine basically make it nice and clean inside. I read peoples personal opinions and they all say the same that it works.
Ah so now there is charcoal in people's engines? ROFL. :lol: Better use this stuff then, you don't want charcoal in there! ;)
dalinxz wrote:
Oct 31st, 2005 4:47 pm
I just went and picked up a bottle of the stuff for $9.99 and $11.49 after tax it couldnt hurt. One of the guys at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]canadian tire[/rfdlink] said he thinks it works no ones ever returned it and the car guy said its the new hottest thing in the market and its a sure thing he said it works and is great and to come back and let him know if i passed or not.
"The hottest thing on the market?" Please. Also no one's "returned it" because you can't return an empty bottle. To be refunded for that crap, if you want to be refunded you probably have to mail your receipt to the manufacturer and wait two months for them to send you a cheque.
Ziggy007 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2005 8:46 am
The whole program is just another messy government run waste of money. It is disorganized and only serves to pad the wallets of service garages.
It is, and I agree; but it's no excuse to not have your car running properly and not polluting the place to high hell.
HappyGoLucky wrote:
Jun 5th, 2006 11:31 am
Hi there,

Warm your car up by driving around, preferrably a bit on the highway, and not by idling, before going into the test centre. Secondly have your car in proper running condition. The end. You follow those two and you can't fail unless the test centre is doing something wrong/suspect or the equipment is defective. Your car should be nowhere near the limits if it's running properly and the cat is good.
HappyGoLucky wrote:
Jun 5th, 2006 11:31 am

Thanks!
The "requirements" are that you have to have a gas cap and an otherwise properly working emissions controls system on your vehicle and that the engine is burning fuel/operating properly. The car must pass visual inspection of components and must pass a measured tailpipe emissions reading at both idle and with the vehicle at 40km/h on the dyno, either in "D" or the gear as spelled out by the test (usually applicable to manual trans cars). The three measurements test for hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO) and NOx gasses. The limits vary depending on your car year, make, model, and engine/trans type.

Again if your car is running properly you should have pretty much no problem passing; in fact you should be nowhere near the prescribed limits either.

Shaner wrote:
Jun 16th, 2006 5:42 pm
Don't kid yourself. The E-test isn't to reduce pollution, it's just a cash grab by the Ontario government, nothing more!

If there wasn't money to be made off the E-test, it wouldn't exist.
The way it's done in Ontario, I would say that's true; but, again I don't think that's any excuse to not have your car's emissions in check, which is what the test tests for, regardless.
ken_ll wrote:
May 27th, 2008 12:24 am
My car failed the NO portion of the e test. Used a bottle of "Guaranteed to Pass" in a full tank of gas, ran it 350 kms or so, refilled with ethanol and gas mixture. Took another e test at a different location (on the basis that there was inaccurate test equipment at first location) and the NO was under the limit. First test NO - 1068, limit 764, second test NO - 746 which is consistent with all other tests of previous years.

The e test is an Ontario tax grab.
So your car is obviously a polluter, is not really in good condition engine and/or emissions-wise, and then you pass it all off on the e-test being a tax grab? :rolleyes: Gimme a break. Fill up your car with ethanol (which to those that don't know is essentially a way to cheat the test) and you're still nearly failing? And somehow that's the government's fault? :rolleyes:

I say it's a "tax grab" too, sure, but not because I don't want to maintain my car and I'm a borderline emissions failer and like to pollute the place.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
7644 posts
616 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Oct 27th, 2005 7:48 pm
If you have done all the above, then the only way to fail an emissions test is if you don't have a muffler.
You can also have a bad EGR (which is the #1 cause from his experience of a emissions failure... as I was told by my mechanic.)

If your cat is bad, chances are, you have a valve seal leak or something similar as that get carried through to the cat which can cause it to fail.

If you're close, and on the border, that might work. But if you have a bad car.. its a bad car and will likely still fail.
Apr 22, 2007
802 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
My car is 15 years old with about 180,000km. It hasn't failed an e-test yet and last time I had it tested, emmissions hasn't changed since the first time it was tested. All exhaust system is original.

Out door power equipment, especially those 2 cycle engines pollute way more.

It's just another cash grab. Plus, cars can get a conditional pass even if the car fails test. Just spend at least X amount of dollars to try and get the car fixed (I don't remember the cost... maybe $300-400) and if it still fails, you get a license to pollute for another 2 years. Keep repeating if need be.

The only cars I see (well, smell - which is an obvious fail) and usually are the rusted out junkers and 80's cars (which don't need to be tested anyway).

WTF?
× < >