• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2010 11:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
137 upvotes
I'd personally get the A4 because I like the 2.0T engine.

But I also really like the Passat CC's exterior design. It's also more unique (you see a lot more A4s than Passat CCs).

Just don't get a FWD A4 lol

EDIT: On second thought, just get the A4 lol, a V6 Passat CC is like 47k before taxes.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1335 upvotes
gilboman wrote:
reliability and VW / Audi don't belong in the same sentence

except with a bad/horrible/craptacular somewhere in the sentence as well
FWIW......and at least as far as VW goes, there are suggestions that would certainly appear to the case.

In the latest JD Power 2010 Dependability Ratings by Brand - among the over 30 different brands rated - VW ranked dead last in terms of ' Overall Dependability '.

Audi ranked 9th.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/de ... ing/page-/
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
562 upvotes
poedua wrote: FWIW......and at least as far as VW goes, that would certainly appear to the case.

In the latest JD Power 2010 Dependability Ratings by Brand - among the over 30 different brands rated - VW ranked dead last in terms of ' Overall Dependability '.

Audi ranked 9th.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/de ... ing/page-/

ummm Audi ranked 27th by namebrand , VW 35th from the link, which is consistent with where they always are.. near the very bottom
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1335 upvotes
gilboman wrote:
ummm Audi ranked 27th by namebrand , VW 35th from the link, which is consistent with where they always are.. near the very bottom
To clarify then, Audi ranked 9th " from the link "..in terms of ' Overall Dependability '.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8562 posts
1031 upvotes
We've had less issues with our Audi's then our Lexus's.

I went from an A4 --> IS
Wife went from RX --> Q7

Both cases, less problems with Audi. I don't know how dependable these studies are. Look at the brands that are overall dependable. Buick, Lincon, Lexus and Mercury? What are the average age group of these individuals? I would assume they are middle aged and older. They don't care, as long as the car gets them from point A --> B.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1335 upvotes
r1lee wrote: We've had less issues with our Audi's then our Lexus's.

I went from an A4 --> IS
Wife went from RX --> Q7

Both cases, less problems with Audi. I don't know how dependable these studies are. Look at the brands that are overall dependable. Buick, Lincon, Lexus and Mercury? What are the average age group of these individuals? I would assume they are middle aged and older. They don't care, as long as the car gets them from point A --> B.
What model years were those Lexus vehicles and what sorts of problems did you have with each of them ?
Aug 13, 2006
664 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
I think dependability/reliability also comes from having the right maintenance done at the right time. Doing your own oil change for the whole portion of the car's lifetime may cause the car to be more unreliable because you are probably not changing the transmission oil, differential mechanism fluids etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8562 posts
1031 upvotes
poedua wrote: What model years were those Lexus vehicles and what sorts of problems did you have with each of them ?

2003 A4 1.8T quattro --> 2008 IS250AWD
2004 RX330 AWD --> 2008 Audi Q7 4.2

too many problems on the Lexus to list, i've listed the IS issues before somewhere on this forum. Never again, would i ever touch a Toyota/Lexus vehicle.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1335 upvotes
r1lee wrote: 2003 A4 1.8T quattro --> 2008 IS250AWD
2004 RX330 AWD --> 2008 Audi Q7 4.2

too many problems on the Lexus to list, i've listed the IS issues before somewhere on this forum. Never again, would i ever touch a Toyota/Lexus vehicle.
Fair enough.

What would you say was the single ' biggest ' problem - from among the ' many ' problems - you had with the Lexus then ?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8562 posts
1031 upvotes
poedua wrote: Fair enough.

What would you say was the single ' biggest ' problem - from among the ' many ' problems - you had with the Lexus then ?

My engine stalls sometimes, but this could never be replicated to fix.

also, i have a front dash noise problem (when its cold) on both vehicles that have been fixed about 8 times on the IS. The only way to really fix it is to remove the front windshield and drill screws into the dash so the plastic stops hitting the glass.

lots more.. lots of fun. Piece of $hit car. And Lexus dealers have their nose in the air to. They really believe that customers should be honored driving their POS.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1335 upvotes
r1lee wrote: My engine stalls sometimes, but this could never be replicated to fix.

also, i have a front dash noise problem (when its cold) on both vehicles that have been fixed about 8 times on the IS. The only way to really fix it is to remove the front windshield and drill screws into the dash so the plastic stops hitting the glass.

lots more.. lots of fun. Piece of $hit car. And Lexus dealers have their nose in the air to. They really believe that customers should be honored driving their POS.

Seems to me, those problems would be enough all on their own to prompt a move to Audi without even having to list all the other problems you had with Lexus.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1326 posts
312 upvotes
Bedford
I would think a lower trim level CC would be an attractive choice, but once you get to a trim level equal in price to the audi, all bets are off.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1547 posts
50 upvotes
ON
Last time I checked, the CC's residual value was worse than the A4's. It'll affect the lease rate.