Tags:
None
Sep 2, 2005
484 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto

Passing Fragile Item Through Checked Baggage

Hi,

Has anyone tried checking in fragile items through checked baggage with Air Canada?

I am planning on picking up a juice extractor and a bottle of liquour in NYC but will be traveling by air.

With the new travel restrictions in place with flights to and from US, I cannot carry it through security and will have to pass through check baggage as fragile or special baggage.

Has anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to know that I've wasted money when I return home with everything broken.

Thanks.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15671 posts
1211 upvotes
GTA West
I have brought liquor through checked luggage, wrapped tightly in clothes.
It got through no problem. Though I worry about US flights because the airport security goes through the luggage and may not re-wrap everything properly.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
193 upvotes
On one of my recent flights I made eye contact with the baggage handler and he showed off by throwing all the rest of the bags. It was strange because the way he was throwing bags was in an awkward jerking motion. I wouldnt have been surprised if put out his back if he kept that up. Before I looked at him he was being very gentle with the bags.

**** like this happens all the time, so good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9920 posts
1816 upvotes
Oakville
Being Irish, I've been known to pack a bottle of booze in my luggage on the odd occasion ( 27 or 29). Never broken one. I would be so upset ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3367 posts
68 upvotes
Expect your bags to get thrown and pack/wrap fragile items accordingly.
May 25, 2007
32 posts
you can request for them to put a giant fragile sticker on your package when you check your baggages in.

I'm not sure the baggage handlers treat them any different, and the check-in attendant reminds you that they are under NO RESPONSIBILITY if the contents break, but at least it's eye catching and might make a slight difference.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3367 posts
68 upvotes
whooshy wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 10:30 am
you can request for them to put a giant fragile sticker on your package when you check your baggages in.

I'm not sure the baggage handlers treat them any different, and the check-in attendant reminds you that they are under NO RESPONSIBILITY if the contents break, but at least it's eye catching and might make a slight difference.
Having worked on the ramp (though not in baggage), I wouldn't put much faith in the fragile sticker. Even if it stops the agent from throwing your bag (assuming he is paying attention, which they usually aren't), stuff falls off of the baggage carts and belt loaders all the time.
Jan 2, 2003
742 posts
6 upvotes
In the past, I've had success with bubble wrap, and lots of clothes around a fragile item inside of a suitcase, but regardless, no guarantees...especially if your baggage is opened by/for security, and the items in it shuffled around...

I don't have alot of faith in the airline's baggage handlers :( heh...
[OP]
Sep 2, 2005
484 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for the responses.

what i'm afraid of is for the juice extractor.

If I were to bring back a juicer in its original box (16"x16"x8"), all I have to do is just slap on a fragile sticker on it and let baggage handlers do the rest?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
193 upvotes
zaius wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 12:35 pm
thanks for the responses.

what i'm afraid of is for the juice extractor.

If I were to bring back a juicer in its original box (16"x16"x8"), all I have to do is just slap on a fragile sticker on it and let baggage handlers do the rest?
i'd say there is a 150% chance that it would break if you did that. I forgot to mention that I also saw the baggage handlers unload the fragile stuff. They had an upright bass that was covered with fragile stickers. It fell from the conveyor to the ground. Then they set it up and it fell on its side! YMMV.

I wouldn't bring it back. Getting it home intact will cost more than buying it here!
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3367 posts
68 upvotes
zaius wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 12:35 pm

jason9945 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 12:44 pm
i'd say there is a 150% chance that it would break if you did that.

I disagree. I would say it's pretty much 50/50 as to whether it would get broken or "lost" (one of the rampies walks off with it).
× < >