Travel

Passport office

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2017 12:07 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1420 posts
85 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: if u fill form online and have it all ready, shouldn't take that long. It's quick. Lots of people still using paper forms, haha which are in slow lane.
Online filled and validated form ensures priority. Process has improved with faster service.
we always go to scarborough centre location, always get passport within 3-4 days.
can you please share the link to fill out form online ? I couldn't find it, thanks and appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your help !
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
Ciel wrote: Are only corporately owned Canada Post outlets providing Passport Application services? I noticed a printed sign on the Ancaster store (Legend Ct.) yesterday
about this service and the hours (9:30am-12 pm; 1-4pm).
Some (but not all) corporately run Canada Post outlets offer passport receiving agent services, but they charge a $20 processing fee in addition to the passport cost. Better off going to the Passport Office or ServiceCanada if there's one near you.

I went to ServiceCanada at Yonge & St. Clair yesterday morning to renew my passport, was in and out in 15 minutes. Will probably take a few weeks to get in the mail, but no big rush because I can still use my Nexus card to drive across the border in the interim.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1420 posts
85 upvotes
thanks all. so I went to the Scarborough town center passport office with all the forms printed and filled out. huge line up to the 2 inspection counters. people who got checked in had no space to STAND and wait , but to my surprise, the whole process took just over an hour, not too bad compare to what I remember last time I was there. Staff there are generally nice and efficient.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
Nobody sends it in by mail? I'd never take a chance on lineups at the passport office. Drop application in the snail mail and wait for the new passport to arrive at my house. No lineups, no fuss.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1420 posts
85 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Nobody sends it in by mail? I'd never take a chance on lineups at the passport office. Drop application in the snail mail and wait for the new passport to arrive at my house. No lineups, no fuss.
I just don't want to mail my original documents and take a chance of losing them.
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
261 upvotes
bestjsg wrote: ok thanks, that's what I have done, I thought there was truly a way to submit the application online.
ah. no, has to be old school :)

that's why i went to service canada or the passport office - they take a copy and return the original documents to you. i wouldn't want to send those in the mail either
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
For almost all renewals nowadays, the only original document required is the old passport, which is already useless or is about to become useless once it expires. The risk of mailing is minimal, and for me certainly not enough of a concern to have to deal with the passport office. YMMV, of course.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
The benefit of applying in person is that you keep your original docs (passport officer just looks at them and gives it back) so there is no risk at all in losing it in the mail.
I would wanna hold on to it until I get the new one.

I would not want to depend on CanadaPost these days with regards to original docs.
Remember its a painfully long 6-months processing time at least just to get a replacement citizenship certificate if u lose it.